Happy Plant Thread

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Heather LouAnna, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's springtime again! :biggrin1: There's been several threads about people's pets. This is very similar, but about plants! I'm a plant lover. It's true. I love love love my plants. I've several orchids and cacti. (yeah, ok..I don't like to water stuff...haha)

I love nothing more in the springtime than to hit up the running and hiking trails in the area, spend some time by the pool, lake, waterfalls, or creeks and work in the yard. It's sad this year, because I have an apartment and no yard! waaa. lol You should see my balcony though. It's covered in potted plants now.

We've this great store here in Austin, Texas called Living Desert. I wish I had picture of the inside of this place. The entire place is an elaborate greenhouse. The ground inside is covered with sand and tiny pieces of colored glass. There's glass pieces and carved faces dangly from the ceiling and glittering pots of exotic cacti everywhere. I went there yesterday and flippantly spent $100 on stuff. HAHA

I've attached two pictures of cacti I bought. One of the pots, I crated myself. The other is a curiously phallic shaped cacti which doesn't have a cool pot yet. Two seconds after I took the picture, it fell over.

Do you have any plants that you just love? Favorite flowers? A plant that's been in your family for a long time? A favorite peach tree that always manages to keep your belly full when it's fruiting?

Attached Files:

2. No_Strings

Gold Member

I can't say I feel one way or the other about plants - they're cool, but I'm a hygiene nut so I can't let them touch me, aargh! :tongue:

You should visit The Eden Project sometime, it's truly amazing(and hot!!). :)

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I'm terrible with plants. They die when I look at them, I think.

4. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    Buy a catus!

5. hypolimnas

hypolimnas Well-Known Member

Impressive polyorchid, how big do you think it is erect?

I chose this place because I have a great little private garden at the back. I miss my big garden.

Anyway I bought 8 cacti a month ago, and they are looking good.

The guy I got them from is a real expert. I am following his watering regime. It is pretty severe. They get watered on two consective days, once every three weeks.

I'm not great with maintaining some stuff, but I'm hoping to get into a rhythm with them.

Last weekend I planted two kinds of sweet peas. They are both shades of blue.

6. quercusone

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  7. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Damn, and here I thought this thread was about Pot, judging by the
    title.

:mad:

8. Mulebear

Mulebear Member

Albums:
    My partner has written several books on euphorbias and other succulents. We have plants all over the house, but unfortunately, since he moved here to be with me, he only has one euphorbia in the house.

That's ok. We've both taken an interest in Amorphophallus plants. We actually bought a Titanium recently and this last winter we had a Konjac bloom. Unfortunately, we could not put the Konjac outside because of the cold weather. We had to keep it in the living room. The house stunk for three days.

The Titanium.
    The Konjac.
    The Konjac again.
    My partner and I in front of a blooming Titanium.

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I've got a succulent type plant in the downstairs cloakroom, I can't remember the last time I watered it but it has to be at least a year ago, I'm cruel to my plants.

10. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

I can feel with you, it's just the same with me. I am constantly spending money for flowers for my apartment, because I can't take care of them, get used to different water consumptions, fertilizer use, and such. So, the only way to keep some green around my place is buying a flower, let it die, and replace it. The only constantly green I have around are artificial flowers, really the invention of the century to me.

11. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I kill cacti... I have a few spider plants left... and some others... including a few ficcus, and rubber tree... I'll post pics later on... I love plants!! indoor ones are more fun... I had to give away most of my spider plants when I got my bird though... just wasn't enough room for all of us in here...

12. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    My family has a jade plant that is 36 years old, just like me! My mom has the majority of it, two HUGE plants that we have made numerous new plants from several times. They are so big they can't fit out the sliding doors anymore so she keeps them in the back window. I think they are in 10 gallon pots and they are at least 4.5 feet tall and at least that wide. A few years ago they bloomed and we all freaked out. Only the second time we'd ever seen them do that.

The other one we call the "mongo monster." It's a giant philodendron of some sort that my mom has had longer than the jade plants. It's tallest frond reaches to 7 or 8 feet high and it's stuck in the house now as well. It's basically taken over an entire room.

I don't have good light in my place now so I have a few plants but nothing special right now. I do like a good spider plant.

13. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
  14. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Heather, I can't really say I have a favorite, but I have orchids and several other houseplants (probably about 30 or so potted "babies" around the house) and my partner and I have put in about 500 bulbs, corms, and tubers in our yard since we moved here 2 years ago. I put 75 crocus bulbs in the front yard 2 years ago; last year they looked ok, this year they put on a spectacular show, and the yard was covered in purple, yellow, and white.

I have always loved plants, I think I got it from my dad. I used to joke that he could plant an old sneaker and get a shoe tree to grow. He would plant any seed, bulb, root, or cutting he could get his hands on. I'm not as successful as he was, but I do enjoy trying different things.

15. Mulebear

Mulebear Member

Albums:
    You're welcome.

I brought back some King Protea seeds from South Africa. My partner is now trying to get them to germinate. I would love to be able to grow a Protea.

My partner also recently ordered an Ant Tuber. Is he cool or what?

16. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    lol shoetree! :biggrin1: That's just fab that all this reminds you of your father. Working in the yard reminds me of my parents too. It was always a family activity that we did together when I was a child.

17. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I'll put up some pictures of the mildew in my shower whenever I get a chance.

18. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's the spirit!

19. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    My house is an urban nightmare. I have precious little space for plants, and litterbugs usually disrespect them while cats and squirrels find their own way to be disrruptive. I have a gorgeous Rose of Sharon. I planted it myself as a little girl, and the neighbors are all envious. It is the only double bloom Rose of Sharon in the whole neighborhood, and the only one I've ever seen in the Bronx which was a tree, and not a shrub. I have often wondered if it isn't actually a Rose of Sharon, but that's what they said they were selling to me at the nursery. It blooms in June, and I'll show off photos then. Usually, I make myself a potted garden in the concrete backyard, but this year, I don't know that I can care for one, and my grandmother won't do it for me. I'll put pansies on the front porch, and hang some begonias as well if I find interesting colors. My grandmother might let the hanging plants die, but the pansies she can handle and would enjoy. I meant to have hyacinths and tulips in the fron plot, but I forgot, and now I'm in Massachusetts. Next year, I'll be in an apartment. The boyfriend has consented to turning our balcony into Eden. He too used to live in a house, but back in Colorado Springs, he had a ginourmous garden. We both are starved, visually, for more plant life. Indoors, we plan to have bamboo, ferns, and ficus. Our pets might poison themselves on anything more exotic, and his decorating tastes run to pan-asian.

Anyone know of orchids that wouldn't kill our cat, dog, and hedgehog? Anyone know if violets (Persian or African) are safe to keep with a cat?

20. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    My cactus bloomed!!!! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Before and after.

Draft saved Draft deleted