Happy Purim! :)

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Happy Purim to all my Jewish friends on LPSG. :smile:
If I could afford it, each of you would receive the coolest of Purim gifts. :cool:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks NJ...this is the Jewish Mardi Gras Woo Whoo!
But it's another excuse to bake cookies

Recipe for Hamentaschen

2/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup orange juice (the smooth kind, not the pulpy)
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour (DO NOT substitute white flour! The wheat flour is necessary to achieve the right texture!)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
Various preserves, fruit butters and/or pie fillings.
Blend butter and sugar thoroughly. Add the egg and blend thoroughly. Add OJ and blend thoroughly. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, alternating white and wheat, blending thoroughly between each. Add the baking powder and cinnamon with the last half cup of flour. Refrigerate batter overnight or at least a few hours. Roll as thin as you can without getting holes in the batter (roll it between two sheets of wax paper lightly dusted with flour for best results). Cut out 3 or 4 inch circles.

Put a dollop of filling in the middle of each circle. Fold up the sides to make a triangle, folding the last corner under the starting point, so that each side has corner that folds over and a corner that folds under (see picture at right). Folding in this "pinwheel" style will reduce the likelihood that the last side will fall open while cooking, spilling out the filling. It also tends to make a better triangle shape.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until golden brown but before the filling boils over!

Traditional fillings are poppy seed and prune, but apricot is my favorite. Apple butter, pineapple preserves, and cherry pie filling all work quite well. I usually use Pathmark grocery store brand fruit preserves, and of course the traditional Simon Fischer brand prune lekvar. I have also made some with Nutella (chocolate-hazelnut spread); I find it a bit dry that way, but some people like it.

The number of cookies this recipe makes depends on the size of your cutting tool and the thickness you roll. I use a 4-1/4 inch cutting tool and roll to a medium thickness, and I get 20-24 cookies out of this recipe.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
I actually have a little bone to pick with my jewish friends.

If your ancient ancestors - a bunch of wandering nomadic jewish priests in the Jerusalem area about 2,500 years ago - had not written the Book of Leviticus, penning such nuggets of wisdom as "man shall not lie with mankind as with womankind" (along with those other "abominations" like don't mix fabrics, cut your facial hair or eat bacon. lettuce and tomato sandwiches) -- then Dark Age christians would never have had the club they needed to whack us gays around with.

Ancient jewish laws are part of the reason we have homosexuals beaten, killed and jailed even today (yes, I'm going there!) -- Please. If anyone has an Old Testament with them, get a scissors and cut that 3rd chapter out. It's an evil little book.

Oh. And happy holidays.

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks! I'm gonna eat a hunk of Chocolate covered Halava to celebrate.:smile:
Halvah is one of those things for which I never acquired a taste. Stupidly, I keep trying it because its made of stuff I like in other forms. :tongue:

Good lord, nj, I love you madly but sometimes I wonder what you do with your time.
Not the gift buying thing which I think is adorable, but how you're inspired to start all your threads.
I grew up next door to Lakewood, NJ. I was well into my 20's before I knew blacks and Jews weren't supposed to get along. :tongue: By that time it was too late, I had made up up my mind to like Jews. :biggrin1:
Lakewood is one of the hubs of Orthodox Judaism and is home to one of the largest yeshivas in the world. The large Orthodox population, comprising nearly half of the township's population, wields considerable political clout in Lakewood Township, commanding a bloc of about 10,000 votes.[8]
You so silly Nudeyorker, :lmao: I don't bake! Like any good Jewish American Princess, I'll be going to either Freedman's or Gelbstein's Bakery for my hamantashen. :biggrin1: :smile: :cool:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Well, I grew up in M'head, MA which, despite being a bastion of WASPdom is about 30% Jewish and almost all my friends were. In fact, the year I was 13, I thought about the worst possible thing in the world was not to be. But Purim? Really, Massachusetts Jews, like NY libs don't much bother with that one. Just like they don't much bother building harvest huts in the back yard 'n such.

Did you hear the one about blowing the chauffer?

Anyhoo, back to human interest stories. And it's time for Saturday Night Live and I've had a long week and I'm off my game so I'm saying 'Nite, all!!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I grew up in M'head, MA which, despite being a bastion of WASPdom is about 30% Jewish and almost all my friends were. In fact, the year I was 13, I thought about the worst possible thing in the world was not to be. But Purim? Really, Massachusetts Jews, like NY libs don't much bother with that one. Just like they don't much bother building harvest huts in the back yard 'n such.

Did you hear the one about blowing the chauffer?

Anyhoo, back to human interest stories. And it's time for Saturday Night Live and I've had a long week and I'm off my game so I'm saying 'Nite, all!!
That 30% is probably either conservative or reform. I grew up with Orthodox Jews, :cool: they are totally different.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
That 30% is probably either conservative or reform. I grew up with Orthodox Jews, :cool: they are totally different.

Oh, jesusmaryandjosephandallthesaintsinheaven, you got that right.

Mostly reformed.

And I'm a Congregational Protestant. Which means we don't believe in anything much more than [Bloody] Mary.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In partial recognition of our small amount of Jewish blood and heritage and mainly because she loved and lived to cook foods for people my sister used to make dozens and dozens of hamantashen for Purim. I used to mark the calendar in anxious wait for the day to arrive just so I could stuff my face with those delicious treats.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now you are talking. This is the only time of year I regret not still living in NY. I want my prune Hamentaschen!

Thanks NJ...this is the Jewish Mardi Gras Woo Whoo!
But it's another excuse to bake cookies

Recipe for Hamentaschen

2/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup orange juice (the smooth kind, not the pulpy)
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour (DO NOT substitute white flour! The wheat flour is necessary to achieve the right texture!)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
Various preserves, fruit butters and/or pie fillings.
Blend butter and sugar thoroughly. Add the egg and blend thoroughly. Add OJ and blend thoroughly. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, alternating white and wheat, blending thoroughly between each. Add the baking powder and cinnamon with the last half cup of flour. Refrigerate batter overnight or at least a few hours. Roll as thin as you can without getting holes in the batter (roll it between two sheets of wax paper lightly dusted with flour for best results). Cut out 3 or 4 inch circles.

Put a dollop of filling in the middle of each circle. Fold up the sides to make a triangle, folding the last corner under the starting point, so that each side has corner that folds over and a corner that folds under (see picture at right). Folding in this "pinwheel" style will reduce the likelihood that the last side will fall open while cooking, spilling out the filling. It also tends to make a better triangle shape.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until golden brown but before the filling boils over!

Traditional fillings are poppy seed and prune, but apricot is my favorite. Apple butter, pineapple preserves, and cherry pie filling all work quite well. I usually use Pathmark grocery store brand fruit preserves, and of course the traditional Simon Fischer brand prune lekvar. I have also made some with Nutella (chocolate-hazelnut spread); I find it a bit dry that way, but some people like it.

The number of cookies this recipe makes depends on the size of your cutting tool and the thickness you roll. I use a 4-1/4 inch cutting tool and roll to a medium thickness, and I get 20-24 cookies out of this recipe.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now this is cool! A Purim party bus. :biggrin1: :cool:
By KATIE ZEZIMA
SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. — “Are you ready to get on the Purim party bus?” Rabbi Saadya Notik screamed Tuesday to a group of women, many in costume, standing on a sidewalk at Mount Holyoke College. The women rushed to the charter bus, a virtual nightclub on wheels, where neon lights pulsed, smoke billowed from underneath the seats and music blared. “Party people, can I get some noise?” Rabbi Notik, 25, shouted as the women whooped and threw their hands in the air. “This party’s got wheels.”

Welcome aboard the Purim party bus, a mobile festival conceived by rabbis of the
Chabad-Lubavitch movement as a way for students at the Five Colleges — Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, Smith and the University of Massachusetts in Amherst — to celebrate Purim. It is a holiday observed with fanciful costumes, plenty of food and copious drink (although the party bus served only iced tea and water, because many students are under 21). Purim celebrates a story in the biblical Book of Esther, also known as the Megillah, in which Queen Esther saves the Jewish people from a plot to destroy them hatched by Haman, an adviser to the king.Tuvia Helfen, a bus organizer, explained to students: “We were supposed to be annihilated. Instead we came out on top, and we celebrate with a party bus.” Mr. Helfen was dressed as Gene Simmons, the bassist from the band Kiss, complete with high-heeled black boots. “It’s awesome. It’s so much more fun than I expected,” said Kira Disen, 20, a student from Smith who danced on the bus.