Happy 'Slap a Happy Couple Day'

_Jonesy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Sorry for the title, it is a facebook group I saw that I fell in love with mainly due to the reason I do not enjoy V-Day.

This is because the only year I have had someone I can share it with, went badly as she seemed more bothered about getting ready to go out after than enjoy the meal/gifts/me. Was a bit depressing.

Anyway, we didn't last much longer. I think her mum ended up liking me more than her actually haha. I think if I was to meet someone my generosity would make me want to do something special regardless, however! Right now, I do not enjoy V-Day.

Disappointments in my past, jealousy of other couples, reminders of heartbreak are all that tends to come so I am sat here trying to ignore the whole thing. As it happens, I've had an interview today and spending tonight on a train back to Newcastle so those were my special Valentines plans.

So I put it to you, do you enjoy valentines day or not? Whichever your answer, I would be intrigued to hear your stories as to what happened that made you feel that way. Are you lucky in love, or not so much?

:smile: *swallows pride* ... and Happy Valentines Day :tongue:

D

deleted639306

I am single, but not that available... lol..
when I was young, I used to like Valentine's Day. I got chocs, so of course that makes me happy :rolleyes: as I reach 18 years old, I started to feel a bit annoyed that there's a day where we are expected to "show" our love, to see couples expressing their love and seeing all the balloons and flowers being thrown into the couples' faces, forcing them to get something for their loved one. I hate the idea of it all. So, every Valentine's Day, me and my girlfriends would have a day out and watch all the couples proudly holding their flowers or teddy bears etc with a huge, proud smile on their faces. I dont belittle them, its cool that they wanna celebrate it.. its just not my cup of tea...
And when I have a boyfriend, I would be really annoyed if he decides to give me something on Valentine's Day just coz its what other people are doing. I would appreciate even a stalk of rose or handpicked wildflowers when I least ecpect it :) thats my opinion on the matter...

_Jonesy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I spoke for effect yet the truth is more that I do not begrudge anybody anything, I'm sure my time will come. Jealousy is still the correct word, which suggests desire more than resentment. How do you find yourself without date? I thought such things were impossible :p

@temptress, I agree there should be no one day reserved for such indulgences. Fact of the matter is, in my opinion, that everyday should be valentines day to a couple as they should want to show such unrestricted affection every waking hour, and then perhaps more when they should be sleeping :p

Still, on valentines day I may do something extra special. A weekend away, perhaps a special gift... it would however, have to be something meaningful. But I tend to be good at that. Thanks for the reply :)

When that flame dies for me, my relationship will die with it.

Last edited:

EmJay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I forgot it was Valentine's day untill my Mom decided to send me a sweet text...hahaha..

I know she meant well..and it was sweet..but seriously Mom..

I had a very good day nevertheless..I've had so many Valentine's Days pass me by
that when the next relationship comes I will most likely forget about it..

Valentine's day doesnt mean much to me..

But expressing love and receiving love does..on this day or any other day..

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I spoke for effect yet the truth is more that I do not begrudge anybody anything, I'm sure my time will come. Jealousy is still the correct word, which suggests desire more than resentment.

I understand the desire :smile:. It's not so much that you want to have a partner on Valentine's Day, but that day highlights the fact that you don't have a partner at all.

How do you find yourself without date? I thought such things were impossible :p

Thanks :smile::redface:. I have two FBs, but I don't have a Valentine's Day kinda relationship with either of them.

@temptress, I agree there should be no one day reserved for such indulgences. Fact of the matter is, in my opinion, that everyday should be valentines day to a couple as they should want to show such unrestricted affection every waking hour, and then perhaps more when they should be sleeping :p

Still, on valentines day I may do something extra special. A weekend away, perhaps a special gift... it would however, have to be something meaningful. But I tend to be good at that. Thanks for the reply :)

Most of my family work in retail so I'll compare Valentine's Day to that (bear with me!). When a big boss is turning up for a visit, the manager spends loads of money making sure the shop looks good. This seems kind of pointless, after all, surely the big boss knows the shop doesn't ALWAYS look that good. But if the manager hadn't spent the money and put in the extra effort, the big boss would still ASSUME he/she had and would wonder how bad the shop is at other times.

Valentine's Day, birthdays, etc are kind of like that. If you don't put in the extra effort then, people wonder if you will EVER put in the extra effort. This is probably more applicable to new relationships where you haven't quite proved yourself yet.

It's also a way of showing to OUTSIDERS how much you care about your partner. Not that outsiders should matter, but to many people, they do.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I miss the kind of Valentines day we had in the early school years when everyone gave everyone else a little tear-out "Be Mine" card or those message heart candies.

A few years ago I saw a pack of Star Wars themed Valentines cards so I gave them out to everyone at work. So cheesy and so fun.

As a couple's day I'm not wild about it. It's over commercialized to the point where any romance is lost.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I miss the kind of Valentines day we had in the early school years when everyone gave everyone else a little tear-out "Be Mine" card or those message heart candies.

A few years ago I saw a pack of Star Wars themed Valentines cards so I gave them out to everyone at work. So cheesy and so fun.

As a couple's day I'm not wild about it. It's over commercialized to the point where any romance is lost.

Here Valentine's Day is mostly limited to couples. We never did the Valentine's Day thing in school.

_Jonesy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Thanks :smile::redface:. I have two FBs, but I don't have a Valentine's Day kinda relationship with either of them.

2; lucky them :p Don't think you'll ever settle down?

It's also a way of showing to OUTSIDERS how much you care about your partner. Not that outsiders should matter, but to many people, they do.

I think that, is what makes it so depressing for people without mindst.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The pressure that Valentine's Day puts on couples actually broke up a relationship I had once. What's funny is that I didn't even realize how messed up the entire circumstance was until just now. I really loved him and it broke my heart.

I think it would make me an ungrateful person who takes him for granted if I didn't appreciate the things TheBF does for me for Valentine's Day, and I would be failing to see how lucky I am to have him. That pretty much makes it impossible for me to feel cynical about the day or anything he did for me, even though I agree that the day makes single people feel unlucky at love and that it does create an obligation to be romantic, in most people's minds. For us right now, so much of our time is focused away from our relationship as a couple, because we don't have a lot of time for each other, and we barely have time to sleep so much of the time, that having this holiday roll around and remind us to focus on each other has been really good for us, and I'm grateful for that.

I think it's like Christmas. It's a great holiday for people who love their families and enjoy the traditions, but a terrible one for people who don't have anyone to share it with. Sure, Christmas obligates people to spend money and give gifts they otherwise wouldn't give, but it's a holiday that creates meaning for a lot of people, especially in the form of memories. Whether it's a good holiday or a bad one depends on each person's circumstances.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
2; lucky them :p Don't think you'll ever settle down?

I have in the past, and I guess I will again in the future. I'm not looking for a relationship right now, but I never looked for my past relationships either - they snuck up on me. I'm reasonably happy with where I am at the moment though.

I think that, is what makes it so depressing for people without mindst.

I guess it's only depressing if you aren't happy with being alone. The years when I'm not with anyone, I don't get depressed on V Day. For me personally, on those years it's just a day, although I still enjoy hearing about the special things others did for each other. When I am with someone, I enjoy V Day in all its lovey-dovey glory.

If you don't see being single as a negative thing, there's no reason V Day should be depressing.

For us right now, so much of our time is focused away from our relationship as a couple, because we don't have a lot of time for each other, and we barely have time to sleep so much of the time, that having this holiday roll around and remind us to focus on each other has been really good for us, and I'm grateful for that.

I'm so glad you guys had a lovely time :smile::smile::smile:.

_Jonesy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Subgirrl, once again you are entirely right. Infact, why are all the women on here so wise haha.