Happy Solstice, everybody!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For those of us north of the equator, enjoy our longest day!

For our friends to the south of the equator, you get to celebrate that the short days and long nights are past!

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

For our friends to the south of the equator, you get to celebrate that the short days and long nights are past!
So you're telling me that after today is done I get less time to play outside after dinner? Well, I fail to see the fun in that :mad: . Harumph!

I'll try to keep all of this in mind at approximately 2:06 P.M today (Eastern Time--not sure if it's Standard or DST).

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

For our equatorial friends, you get to 'celebrate' one of two days when the overhead Sun is furthest from overhead. Otherise I guess it's pretty much business as usual.:smile:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmm, I'm currently about 2hrs drive from Stonehenge. But if it was this morning I'm too late.

Rats.

How cool! I am reading "The Mists of Avalon" right now so it all fits in. SO you live in THomas Hardy country? I would love to do a walking tour of that area some day. Is it totally developed or are there still parts of the country left open?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How cool! I am reading "The Mists of Avalon" right now so it all fits in. SO you live in THomas Hardy country? I would love to do a walking tour of that area some day. Is it totally developed or are there still parts of the country left open?

I recall we discussed this a while back in the visiting ficticious places thread.:smile:

Sadly, No. I live (pretty much) and work in Central London but Stonehenge is only couple of hours or less down the M4 > M3 then a little spin down the A roads. And it's a lovely sunny day today....

The West Country is pretty open, and still very rural, certainly off the beaten tracks and out of the few large towns. Right to roam legislation has enabled people to go places otherwise barred to them.

Stonehenge itself rather a tacky tourist trap but the surroundings, especially as one heads South and West are glorious.

I wish I was more familiar with my own country.:rolleyes:

If you're interested have look at these:

Thomas Hardy Walking Holiday or Walking Tour in Dorset England by Footscape, UK

Thomas Hardy Country : A Photographic Tourhttp://www.historic-uk.com/DestinationsUK/Dorchester.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steps-Thomas-Hardy-Walking-England/dp/0972121730

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think June 21st is the day the pyramids at Chitzen-Itza reveal the "snake" shadow pattern in the stoneworks from the sunlight.

Have a good one, and remember to put on your sun screen.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So you're telling me that after today is done I get less time to play outside after dinner? Well, I fail to see the fun in that :mad: . Harumph!

I'll try to keep all of this in mind at approximately 2:06 P.M today (Eastern Time--not sure if it's Standard or DST).
You old grumpasaurus, stop looking for the dark cloud!:biggrin1:

You'll get maximum sunshine today... and after today, you will get gradually more and more time for your secret nighttime activities!

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Our local paper says the solstice here is at 10:06 am, a couple of hours from now.
Total daylight today 18 hours, 21 minutes, 18 seconds, a gain of 0 minutes, 5 seconds over yesterday. Basicly the sun goes around the horizon in a circle, about 41 degrees above the horizon in the south, and dipping below the horizon in the north, it doesn't get dark. The sun approaches the horizon at such a shallow angle that there is a very long twilight, a couple of hours at dusk and dawn. You can see just fine 24 hours. Yesterday it got up to 78.
This week is our prideweek, Anchorage PrideFest - Anchorage, Alaska, I am exceedingly busy,doing the backdrop as well as the stage this year, and a lot else.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hey DC_DEEP

— don't start the naked drum circle without me!
For you, I'll start a new one, or keep the old one going, or wait until you are here. Your choice. I have a few bells and drums and rattles, but most of my primitive instruments are flutes. I have a friend in North Little Rock who has an extensive collection of ethnic percussive devices that are great at pagan rituals.

I can't build a bonfire here, so I'll light a candle and some incense, and think of something else to mark the start of summer.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Happy Solstice to everyone :)

ok...if that naked drum circle is going into the late night hours....... put on lots of mosquito repellent, the little buggers are mighty hungry this time of the year.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

You old grumpasaurus, stop looking for the dark cloud!:biggrin1:

You'll get maximum sunshine today... and after today, you will get gradually more and more time for your secret nighttime activities!
Oh come now, you'd surely enjoy many of my nightime activities--I have a talented tongue (among other things).
As for that sunlight--the joke's on you as the sky has clouded over and the rain has moved in (although just for a brief stay).

Welcome to summertime everybody--

Now who wants me to dive into their pool?

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
How strange it seemed to me yesterday to look at the clock on the VCR, see that it was 8:53 PM, yet there was still quite a bit of light out. I love summer only for the feeling of the evenings right after sunset. Other than that, I can't wait for the cooler months. It's been utterly miserable here, in terms of heat, lately.:eek:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think the sun went down about 9:00PM here-N. California. WOW. I love it. What time did it go down for you up North?

Anybody from Alaska?

Bet the sun is still out there. Does it ever set today? I would love to experience a "white night".

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Near Anchorage, latitude 60, it rose at 4:19 and will set at 11:42, (a couple hours)it does not get dark. This time of year, you can get on a plane in Seattle, after sunset, and fly back into the sun as you head NW to here. It is a bit curious for it to be brighter to the north around midnight. In northern Alaska, it doesn't set for two months around the solstice.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh come now, you'd surely enjoy many of my nightime activities--I have a talented tongue (among other things).
As for that sunlight--the joke's on you as the sky has clouded over and the rain has moved in (although just for a brief stay).

Welcome to summertime everybody--

Now who wants me to dive into their pool?
I do actually enjoy LOTS of nighttime activities! That's why I say "don't let lengthening nights depress you, it just gives more opportunity for non-daytime fun!"

Now, if you will kindly send some of that rain my way, we desperately need it here.