Happy Solstice, everybody!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Happy Belated Summer Solsitce,

I am reading The Mysts of Avalon right now so it is quite appros. Do you know if the Beltain fires were lit on Solstice or was it earlier as in May Day? For those who dont know Beltain was the festival to Ceridwen to celebrate the fertility of the fields and stock. On the night of Beltain fires were lit and men and women could chose a partner (Not necesarrily their own) to celebrate the festival of fertility with for that night...

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>
Do you know if the Beltain fires were lit on Solstice or was it earlier as in May Day? For those who dont know Beltain was the festival to Ceridwen to celebrate the fertility of the fields and stock...
I'm not certain, I don't practice Wicca or any of the pagan Celtic beliefs, but I think the Beltain fires were done in May. Solstice was also celebrated with bonfires. Those guys were obviously just a bunch of horny, perverted pyromaniacs.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not certain, I don't practice Wicca or any of the pagan Celtic beliefs, but I think the Beltain fires were done in May. Solstice was also celebrated with bonfires. Those guys were obviously just a bunch of horny, perverted pyromaniacs.

LOL! Well if you look at the partial ethnic makeups of many of our members if it is true that idea would be born out! LOL!

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Happy Belated Summer Solsitce,

I am reading The Mysts of Avalon right now so it is quite appros. Do you know if the Beltain fires were lit on Solstice or was it earlier as in May Day? For those who dont know Beltain was the festival to Ceridwen to celebrate the fertility of the fields and stock. On the night of Beltain fires were lit and men and women could chose a partner (Not necesarrily their own) to celebrate the festival of fertility with for that night...

DCD is correct, bealtaine day is mayday, bealtaine month is may, it is the actual name of the month in gaelic. The mountain ash (rowan trees) are supposed to be in bloom. (the native ones here are blooming now, but my european ones are about to, late this year)

Have long wanted to do a solstice bonfire, and even have a private mountaintop in the vicinty, and a surplus of wood(a bit of work to carry it up about 1500 feet). Don't have any one to do it with, and too busy building the stage etc. for prideweek. There is presently a red alert on open burning here, over 10,000 acres have burned so far this year, it is very smoky.

Used to go up on the mountain and sleep out , haven't lately.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DCD is correct, bealtaine day is mayday, bealtaine month is may, it is the actual name of the month in gaelic. The mountain ash (rowan trees) are supposed to be in bloom. (the native ones here are blooming now, but my european ones are about to, late this year)

Have long wanted to do a solstice bonfire, and even have a private mountaintop in the vicinty, and a surplus of wood(a bit of work to carry it up about 1500 feet). Don't have any one to do it with, and too busy building the stage etc. for prideweek. There is presently a red alert on open burning here, over 10,000 acres have burned so far this year, it is very smoky.

Used to go up on the mountain and sleep out , haven't lately.

So, is Lughnasa the Autumn equivalent? Or is it Samhain ?