Happy Thanksgiving

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Just wanted to wish everyone on the board a Happy Thanksgiving holiday this week. I'm on my way to Los Angeles to hang out with DJG and his family. Be safe wherever your travels take you, and have an extra spoonful of stuffing for me.

Regards,
Dee

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
thank you & the same to you...enjoy yourself...

I will be doing my best to avoid certain people this year...therefore I'm skipping the usual family dinner...

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have fond sentiments to express to my American pals.

Get stuffed!

And pause a moment to ponder the symbolic relevance (to this site) of the turkey's intriguing snood.

During the breeding season, male wild turkeys gobble, strut, and preen their iridescent feathers, all to attract the attention of eligible mates. But apparently the single most attractive feature to females is not a male's power suit or macho strut but his snood — a fleshy appendage above his beak that can stretch to twice its ordinary length during courtship.

And not only do females prefer long snoods, but, according to Northeast Louisiana University behavioral ecologist Richard Buchholz, males assess the snood lengths of other males before engaging in battle. Buchholz placed two male turkey decoys three feet apart in asmall arena, each with a pile of birdseed in front of it. The decoys were identical in every respect — except that one's snood was twice as long as the other's. Buchholz then put 28 young male turkeys, one at a time, into the arena. Of the 21 duped by the models, 17 risked taking food only from the model with the small snood. Just 4 fed from the better-endowed decoy's pile of seed. What's more, in fights between live males, Buchholz found that only snood length — which may in part be determined by a bird's testosterone level — was a good predictor of victory, more reliable even than weight.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just wanted to wish everyone on the board a Happy Thanksgiving holiday this week. I'm on my way to Los Angeles to hang out with DJG and his family. Be safe wherever your travels take you, and have an extra spoonful of stuffing for me.

Regards,
Dee

Happy Thanksgiving Dee & DJG!

thank you & the same to you...enjoy yourself...

I will be doing my best to avoid certain people this year...therefore I'm skipping the usual family dinner...

Smart man! :cool: the one relative I hate will be there today so I already have permission from my doc to double up on my anti-anxiety med. :biggrin1: