Hard words for a Swede

lellelind

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Can someone please tell me what "LOL" means?
I've seen it hundreds of times but I can't figure out what it stands for. I guess it's a short for something.

Finedessert: ROFLMAO= Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.

Grandpa

oldman9x7: I just saw this. Reminded me of when I was in the Air Force during WWII (the big one). I think that's when SOME of this shorthand started. Two great favorites were SNAFU (situation normal - all fucked up) and FUBAR (fucked up beyond all recognition). Probably there were others that I don't recall. It WAS a looong time ago!
GRAMPS

7x6andchg: Well and now-a-days people will say things are "fubar-ed" and "snafu-ed" - they haven't disappeared from the English lexicon, they've just evolved....

7x6&c

drrionelli: Just in case there are those who might wish to use the aforementioned phrases without the risk of offending those with delicate sensibilities, one may substitute the word "fouled" for the word "f***ed".

(Hey, just because we have particularly profound penile protruberances doesn't mean that we're barbarians! ;))

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The word fuck has a very innocent origin. It comes from Anglo-Saxon fuccan meaning 'to strike; to hit' (interesting parallel with the French verb foutre). Words are powerful tools, but only to a point. When it comes down to it, fuck is still just a word. And few words pack the punch of fuck ... foul comes nowhere close. Just because I refuse to dilute my speech with euphemisms doesn't mean that I'm a fucking barbarian!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
[quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=99;num=1042397482;start=0#7 date=01/26/03 at 16:55:01]...Just because I refuse to dilute my speech with euphemisms doesn't mean that I'm a fucking barbarian![/quote]

Yeah, that may be true, but it doesn't mean you have a considerable measure of class either, DMW. I don't think Dr intentionally sought to uproot your ground by making a mere suggestion to keep lids on the profanity. He asked a favor, that's all, and yet you still find the need to lash back. Why?

It was funny. I had a rather frustrating night at work tonight because of an unruly six-top that chose to sit on the other side of the restaurant -- nowhere near my station. I had to take the table because the other guy was way too busy. They ran me ragged over the eensy-weensiest things. I did my fair share of cursing until, when my manager asked whether or not I brought out that extra ranch dressing, I said "Fuck."

He smiled and told me to hold it down on the cursing.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
for the good dr..

fouled is a good substitute? i don't think so....like i fouled my shorts....oh sh*t!

over the holidays we got into a discussion of the antiwar movement now and in the 1960's and 1970's, both sets of grandparents were demonstrators. this led into a discussion of the society surrounding the vietnam protests. that f-word was a the superlative...as in f---ing A, wanna f---ing beer, etc. and pick up lines? who needed them...either would ask, "wanna go f--k?"

this was the generation that trusted no one over 30 and came up with the oxymorons of "fighting for peace" and "f--king for virginity."

surely the word police will let us keep a good and ancient anglo-saxon word on these boards. by the way, that f-word is a major reason that i read the postings...hoping to learn a better way.

jay

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I'll never forget that time when I was 6 I reported to Mom that two dogs were "f-u-c-k-i-n-g" (I spelled it) in the back yard. She was horrified that I knew such a word.  Heck - that's what it is to all kids.  We don't learn another word for it until we get older and find that there are other ways to say it!

Pecker

sammygirly: Dear Employees:

It has been brought to management's attention that some
individuals throughout the company have been using foul
language during the course of normal conversation with
their co-workers.
Due to complaints received from some employees who may be
easily offended, this type of language will be no longer been
tolerated. We do however, realize the critical importance of being able to accurately express your feelings when communicating with co-workers.
Therefore, a list of "TRY SAYING" new phrases has been
provided so that proper exchange of ideas and information
can continue in an effective manner without risk of offending
our more sensitive employees.

TRY SAYING:
Perhaps I can work late.
INSTEAD OF:
And when the fuck do you expect me to do this?

TRY SAYING:
I'm certain that isn't feasible.
INSTEAD OF:
No fucking way.

TRY SAYING:
Really?
INSTEAD OF:
You've got to be shitting me!

TRY SAYING:
Perhaps you should check with...
INSTEAD OF:
Tell someone who gives a shit.

TRY SAYING:
I wasn't involved in the project.
INSTEAD OF:
It's not my fucking problem.

TRY SAYING:
I'm not sure this can be implemented.
INSTEAD OF:
This shit won't work.

TRY SAYING:
I'll try to schedule that.
INSTEAD OF:
Why the hell didn't you tell me sooner?

TRY SAYING:
He's not familiar with the issues.
INSTEAD OF:
He's got his head up his ass.

TRY SAYING:
Excuse me, sir?
INSTEAD OF:
Eat shit and die.

TRY SAYING:
So you weren't happy with it?
INSTEAD OF:
Kiss my ass.

TRY SAYING:
I'm a bit overloaded at the moment.
INSTEAD OF:
Fuck it, I'm on salary.

TRY SAYING:
I don't think you understand.
INSTEAD OF:
Shove it up your ass.

TRY SAYING:
I love a challenge.
INSTEAD OF:
This job sucks.

TRY SAYING:
You want me to take care of that?
INSTEAD OF:
Who the hell died and made you boss?

TRY SAYING:
I see.
INSTEAD OF:
Blow me.

TRY SAYING:
I think you could use more training.
INSTEAD OF:
You don't know what the fuck you're doing.

Thank You,

Human Resources

drrionelli: If I may clarify...

I was not suggesting, as might have been considered, that the word "fuck" has no place in our language. To the contrary, I feel that it should be embraced. And, usage of such words is certainly not an indication of cultural standing

My point is that for SOME (by no means all) instances, a more widely, shall we say, acceptable word (in this case, "foul" and its requisite forms) would be usable, if, indeed, somewhat less precise.

Yes, it is important (indeed, it is imperative) to strive for as much precision as is possible to communicate and express with as much felicitousness as can be had.

Please understand that my intent here (or anywhere else, for that matter) is not to dilute or in any other way lessen the impact of the language that we speak. I mean no antagonism to any regarding their means and/or modes of expression. Indeed, that is the beauty of the English language...its very richness IS its diverse manifestations of conveyance.

Believe me, I'd be the last person to practice or even encourage censorship of any kind.

No feelings of ill-will, okay?

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
hey doc..

i was not offended and did not intend to offend.

BUT i did intend to point out that foul in all its forms might not be the appropriate verb to describe an act of procreating, of expressing love, or of releasing passion...or the hundreds of reasons we seek another's arms and loins.

jay

AnonyMs: You know, this is one of the reasons why I love this board so much - only in a forum for the support of men with large penes can one find a discussion on the suitablility of slang words in said forum. 8)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=AnonyMs link=board=99;num=1042397482;start=15#16 date=01/28/03 at 20:04:51]You know, this is one of the reasons why I love this board so much - only in a forum for the support of men with large penes can one find a discussion on the suitablility of slang words in said forum.   8)[/quote]

Actually, in one forum I belong to, we were recently discussing the difference between "hanged" and "hung" as part of an article that was posted.