"Hard Work" - What is that?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by arkfarmbear, Feb 22, 2011.

1. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

"Hard work" is often given as the reason a person has achieved greatness. How is "hard work" quantified? What is easy work? What is hard work? What is work between easy and hard called?

2. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

a time to rest!

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've never had an easy job; they've all been hard work. Some jobs have been much more physically demanding than others (merchandising a three-level, 30,000 square-foot furniture showroom springs to mind), others have been more high-stress/high-pressure jobs.

The funny thing is that I really wouldn't have it any other way. I live for a good challenge.

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Hard work is doing something you hate. Doing something you love is sometimes demanding or difficult but you never hate it.

5. AG08

Gold Member

To me, hard working is doing what needs to be done even if it's not your job and you weren't asked/forced to do it. That is the difference between those that succeed in life and those that don't. I have lazy assed siblings that never do more than they have to and have nothing to show for their lives. They are resentful of my success even though they were given far more than me (which they even admit). I worked damn hard for what I have, so I have nothing to feel guilty about or ashamed of.

6. Drifterwood

Gold Member

We have a saying - Find a job you love and you will never have to work again.

In corporate terms, you sell your time and ability in return for completing a set number of things in a set time. Dependent upon aptitude and ability, this may be either easy or hard for you. If it is too hard, you can look for something for which you are better suited, and if it is easy, you can either sit where you are or move up the ladder as it were. On top of this of course is all the corporate bullshit.

Hard work in my field, is attempting projects for which you don't have all the resources available. This means that you have to put in the hours and cover things which other people are better at, if you had the money to pay them.

On top of this is the inspiration. Personally I value this at rather more than the famous 1%, but geerally it is certainly a much smaller part than the work required to turn it into a successful venture.

Most entrepneurs I know, tend to agree that the real hard work starts when you have to manage a variety of other people.

7. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    In re OP:

Pretending you love someone.

8. curious_angel

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So why pretend?

Hard work is something that involves no pleasure and is purely a means to an end. Unless the "end" is pleasurable.

9. NCbear

Gold Member

Hard work is what people advocate when they think you're not intelligent enough to use your natural brilliance. :rolleyes:

Less asininely, hard work is what makes B and C students often surpass the bright but erratic/inconsistent straight-A students in terms of life successes.

NCbear (who was of course a straight-A student :biggrin1:)

10. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ever been married? :wink:

11. paigexox

Gold Member

Albums:
    I bet I could make you work really hard for something, under-compensate you for it, and in the end you would justify the task by believing you actually *did* find doing the work pleasurable/enjoyable. :tongue:

12. curious_angel

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I bet you have a promising career in politics.

13. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't know what hard work is, but I do know I'm allergic to it! :tongue:

14. B_spotted_duck

B_spotted_duck New Member

I had no idea my boss was on LPSG...

15. aninnymouse

Gold Member

I think you quantify and qualify hard work as something where you put a lot of effort into something, a la school, a relationship, your job.

This could mean studying hard in school, doing the best you can to understand someone, even if you have no idea where they're coming from, and what they're doing seems completely and utterly foreign to you, and even just simply taking the time and pride in what you do to make sure things are done right, a la paperwork without any sort of error, even if it means staying up until 3AM to make sure that is the case. It can mean putting the little personal touches on things that make customers/people want to deal with you.

A lot of this is not easy at all, and depending on the circumstances, can be really difficult and onerous.

I don't know, that's just my take on it. Your Mileage May Vary.

Draft saved Draft deleted