Harper to be replaced as PM?

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Although Harper does think that he can get a majority and wipe the Liberals off the political map with his removal of the tax payer assistance for political parties.

Bingo. The Reformites know that they get the lions share of donations (for any number of reasons - a charitable explanation would be that they're popular, a practical one would be that their supporters tend to be corporations or well-heeled individuals, while an uncharitable explanation would be that they're perceived as more receptive to bribes/influence peddling) and eliminating public funding for political parties would give them a huge advantage.

Given the amount of "pork" attached to spending bills and the proliferation of lobbyists in recent years, eliminating private political donations and leaving the public funding the way it is would go a long way towards furthering democracy. I suspect it would be cheaper for the taxpayer in the long run, too.

Oh please. Not Bob Rae as PM. please please please.

Do you remember him as premier of Ontario? I sure do - shudder. In a way, I would like to see him become the leader of the Liberal party. He was such a disaster as premier that his past would most likely be dredged up and thrown in his face in federal politics. He couldn't even run a province let alone a country. Who does he think he's kidding? He probably thinks that we are all so stupid that we have forgotten his disastrous time in office. It must be the Liberal way to treat their constituents like a bunch of brainless morons. I still remember the Liberals saying (before their fall in federal government) that Harper would put troops in the street and declare martial law. I guess they thought that we were dumb enought to believe it (wow, did that ever backfire on the Liberals when Harper seized on the moment that the Liberals were being disrespectful to our armed forces). I say "yes" to Bob Rae as the leader of the federal Liberals - it would be the final nail in their coffin.

I could NEVER support a coalition government - especially one made up of and backed by seperatists. I cann't believe anyone in Canada can be OK with this. As for the GG, I don't have much faith in her. She and her husband were seperatists until the post of GG came her way. Suddenly she was an avowed federalist - hmmm, the word opportunist comes to mind. She was also appointed by the Liberals when they were in power even though she was grossly unqualified to be the GG and had seperatist views. I still think that she was appointed by the Liberals to score with minority voters because they were desperate to cling on to power after Chretien's and Martin's "reign of error". I think the Liberals will be calling in their favour any minute now to get her to refuse Harper's request.

Last edited by a moderator:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I could NEVER support a coalition government - especially one made up of and backed by seperatists. I cann't believe anyone in Canada can be OK with this.

What, specifically, is wrong with coalition governments? As I have previously noted in this thread, this situation isn't unprecedented and coalitions are an occasional, contemplated feature of parliamentary democracies (there have been occasional coalitions in Canadian politics, but plenty in Europe). Yet, people are acting as if the sky is falling... :rolleyes:

Anyway, given the partisan tone of your post, I suspect you'd be singing a different tune if it was Harper making a deal with the BQ to stay in power. Which may yet come to pass, incidentally - after all, he attempted to assemble such a coalition in the past...

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It seems that people supposing the Queen will get involved in a political decision are from the US, and confuse the public ceremonial role with how things are actually done.

HM is not assertive regarding her theoretical constitutional role, on the occasions in which she might have had a choice for her British PM, she referred it back to the party, and encouraged them to come to an agreement, she has never exercised the royal prerogative.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
However, given Jean's complete inexperience in such matters, I think that given the two choices, the Queen's experience would make her the wiser decider. It is her government and she is the Queen of Canada. Why bother even having her as queen if it would be improper to refer to her a matter over which she has constitutional responsibility?
You have to consider the Quebec issue. The French have never really accepted having an English Queen as their monarch. The GG, as her representative, could certainly legally consult EIIR in this matter, but this sort of thing hasn't been done in a very long time. It's for the best, since the Québécois wouldn't be very happy if EIIR got involved.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
The GG agreed to suspend Parliament until the 26th of Jan when the budget will be presented. No consultation with Dion and the others on the matter.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Rallies held across Canada for coalition

OTTAWA — Thousands rallied Thursday on the snow-covered lawn of Parliament Hill to support a coalition of opposition parties who tried to oust the Harper government.

The crowd wasn't deterred by ice pellets whirling from the monochrome Ottawa sky or by word that Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean allowed Prime Minister Stephen Harper to suspend Parliament until late next month.

They huddled together, bundled in parkas, toques and scarves, waving signs that said "Coalition - Yes! Make Parliament Work" and "I'm a part of the 62 per cent majority" - a reference to the combined vote share of the opposition parties in the last federal election.

They blew sharp blasts on their whistles. They clanked tin drums, clanged cowbells and rattled maracas.

Anti-Harper chants broke the crisp noon air.

"Hey hey! Ho ho! Stephen Harper has got to go!"

I could hear them up there when I got my organic house blend coffee and vegan croissant at my favorite bakery.

I have a few concerns with what Harper pulled this week:

1. The opposition parties expressed "no confidence" because they claimed that Harper isn't handling the fiscal emergency properly. Harpers reply is to request that the government be suspended for a month! This is not dealing with the fiscal crisis, it's Harper being selfish and irresponsible.

2. Harper is trying to stop a fundamental and inherent part of the legislature. It was designed to allow coalitions to be formed. He's being anti-Canadian.

3. His argument to the GG was that the PC's are in power due to the will of the people (the election a few months back). I'm sure that he hasn't mentioned that over half of Canadians did not vote PC. If he had a majority government, then a coalition would have been impossible in the first place.

What, specifically, is wrong with coalition governments? As I have previously noted in this thread, this situation isn't unprecedented and coalitions are an occasional, contemplated feature of parliamentary democracies (there have been occasional coalitions in Canadian politics, but plenty in Europe). Yet, people are acting as if the sky is falling... :rolleyes:

Anyway, given the partisan tone of your post, I suspect you'd be singing a different tune if it was Harper making a deal with the BQ to stay in power. Which may yet come to pass, incidentally - after all, he attempted to assemble such a coalition in the past...

My problem with the coalition is that it includes the Bloc. BTW - my tone would have been just as harsh if the Conservatives had ever done such a thing. The GG did the right thing today. It will give everyone a chance to cool off.

This whole thing started over funding because the Liberals are broke and desperately need tax dollars to continue operating. It has nothing to do with the B.S. about there being no sound economic stimulus package. If you believe that, I have some swamp land in Florida I would love to sell you. The Liberals can't raise money on thier own because of their lame leader and weak policies, so they need taxpayer handouts. In the words of a prominent Liberal during the sponsorhip scandal inquiry, "I'm entitled to my entitlements". It nicely sums up Liberal greed doesn't it? It also shows how they don't give a crap about hardworking taxpayers. Have you forgotten how they gave away billions of our tax dollars to their supporters in the failed sponsorship program? It was that unbridled greed that led to their downfall in the first place. I guess if someone broke into your house and stole everything but the TV, you would give them a second chance to come back and get the TV. A vote for Liberals is no different. Hey, you ripped off the taxpayers the first time for billions of dollars, but you didn't take it all. Come back and get what you forgot! I remember the way I was hounded by the Liberal federal government to pay back my piddly $25,000 student loan with exorbinant interest and penalties (which I did in full), yet the Liberals who stole billions of tax payers money didn't pay any of it back, and they certainly didn't pay interest and penalties! Maybe we should send a collection agency after them!

Rallies held across Canada for coalition

I have a few concerns with what Harper pulled this week:

1. The opposition parties expressed "no confidence" because they claimed that Harper isn't handling the fiscal emergency properly. Harpers reply is to request that the government be suspended for a month! This is not dealing with the fiscal crisis, it's Harper being selfish and irresponsible.

I would argue that it is the Liberals that are being selfish and irresponsible. They started this whole thing because their funding (courtesy of the Canadian taxpayer) was being taken away. Under this proposal, the Conservatives would have lost the most money, but they were showing restraint with taxpayers money during these poor economic times. If I have to tighten my belt, why shouldn't the politicians and political parties in Ottawa? People are losing their jobs, savings are dwindling and all the Liberals care about is getting their money - pigs lining up at the tax payer funded trough. After all, the Liberals are "entitled to their entitlements" aren't they? :rolleyes:

2. Harper is trying to stop a fundamental and inherent part of the legislature. It was designed to allow coalitions to be formed. He's being anti-Canadian.

I would argue that forming a coalition to oust a democratically elected government that has the most seats in anti-Canadian, especially when it involves getting into bed with seperatists whose main objective is to destroy Canadian unity. There were rumblings of Alberta seperatists gaining strength when this coalition was announced. Giving the Bloc any power whatsoever outside of Quebec would only tear the country apart. I would also like to point out that there were rumblings of Liberals crossing the floor or not showing up to vote on defeating the government because they knew what they were doing was wrong and they were under fire from their constituents for this proposed coalition. One Liberal MP went on the record saying that he didn't want to defeat the Conservative government by getting into bed with the seperatists.

3. His argument to the GG was that the PC's are in power due to the will of the people (the election a few months back). I'm sure that he hasn't mentioned that over half of Canadians did not vote PC. If he had a majority government, then a coalition would have been impossible in the first place.

Who are the PCs? That party no longer exists. The Conservatives were formed by merging the Conservative camps (PC and Canadian Alliance - formerly Reform) under one Conservative banner to stop the vote splitting that was preventing the Conservatives from taking power. I would also like to point out that the Conservatives gained seats in the last election whereas the Liberals lost seats. Canadians sure as hell didn't elect a Liberal, NDP, or Bloc government in the last federal election either. They did however increase the size and power of the minority Conservative government.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I still remember the Liberals saying (before their fall in federal government) that Harper would put troops in the street and declare martial law. I guess they thought that we were dumb enought to believe it (wow, did that ever backfire on the Liberals when Harper seized on the moment that the Liberals were being disrespectful to our armed forces). I say "yes" to Bob Rae as the leader of the federal Liberals - it would be the final nail in their coffin.

I don't remember more than the faintest mutterings about Harper being a domestic militarist.
Rae probably won't win the Liberal leadership. But if he does, I think he might surprise you.

I could NEVER support a coalition government - especially one made up of and backed by seperatists.

It's part of the warp and woof of parliamentary democracy. And Harper himself, as you probably know by now, was willing to enter a kind of coalition with the NDP and the Bloc when Martin was still in power, in a minority situation not unlike Harper's case now.

As for the GG, I don't have much faith in her. She and her husband were seperatists until the post of GG came her way. Suddenly she was an avowed federalist - hmmm, the word opportunist comes to mind.

Her husband was the separatist. That's no dramatic thing in Quebec. You have to remember, the Parti Quebecois has been in power in Quebec for a very large part of the last 30 years. If we are too horrified by them, we probably harden the positions of those who are marginally loyal to sovereignty ... people who vacillate and could be nudged back into the federalist camp.

I still think that [Jean] was appointed by the Liberals to score with minority voters because they were desperate to cling on to power after Chretien's and Martin's "reign of error". I think the Liberals will be calling in their favour any minute now to get her to refuse Harper's request.

Well, now we know. If they did ... and the three coalition members certainly sent her a letter, which they had the right to do ... she ignored them.

You have to consider the Quebec issue. The French have never really accepted having an English Queen as their monarch. The GG, as her representative, could certainly legally consult EIIR in this matter, but this sort of thing hasn't been done in a very long time. It's for the best, since the Québécois wouldn't be very happy if EIIR got involved.

It would be silly if she got involved. And one lesson of the King-Byng Affair oddly was that we should have Canadian solutions to constitutional crises (even though Mackenzie King asked Byng, at one point, to pass the decision on whether to grant King a dissolution of Parliament up the pipe to London).

The GG agreed to suspend Parliament until the 26th of Jan when the budget will be presented. No consultation with Dion and the others on the matter.

She should only consult with her experts and the PM.
I deplore the decision, personally.
Now it means that any PM who doesn't want to face the music ... i.e., wants to sidestep a confidence vote ... can simply have Parliament prorogued.
A disastrous precedent.

This whole thing started over funding because the Liberals are broke and desperately need tax dollars to continue operating. It has nothing to do with the B.S. about there being no sound economic stimulus package. If you believe that, I have some swamp land in Florida I would love to sell you.

Probably true. But Harper's move would have kneecapped all the Opposition parties ... and that bullying move is not attractive in a national leader.

The Liberals can't raise money on thier own because of their lame leader and weak policies, so they need taxpayer handouts.

Jean Chretien introduced the legislation to basically end sizeable corporate donations, an area where the Liberals used to clean up.
Allowing parties to receive a modest amount of public money instead, leveled the playing field, and kept the political system a bit freer of special interests.
For Harper to do this now is quite unfair ... and, worse in a politician, unattractive, something no politician of any instinct wants to be.

In the words of a prominent Liberal during the sponsorhip scandal inquiry, "I'm entitled to my entitlements". It nicely sums up Liberal greed doesn't it? It also shows how they don't give a crap about hardworking taxpayers.

If you're not entitled to your entitlements, what are you entitled to? The statement can be ridiculed, but it hardly means anything.
There are better reasons to oppose the Liberals.

Have you forgotten how they gave away billions of our tax dollars to their supporters in the failed sponsorship program? It was that unbridled greed that led to their downfall in the first place. I guess if someone broke into your house and stole everything but the TV, you would give them a second chance to come back and get the TV. A vote for Liberals is no different. Hey, you ripped off the taxpayers the first time for billions of dollars, but you didn't take it all. Come back and get what you forgot!

The sponsorship scandal involved only tens of millions of dollars, a very small fraction of the billions you're speaking of.
Moreover, those expenditures took place over five or six years.
It was a constant, and yes, indefensible bleeding of money from the general coffers ... but a small one.
There is no reason to believe that senior government people really knew what was going on.
And the cause was national unity.
You oversimplify it.

I remember the way I was hounded by the Liberal federal government to pay back my piddly $25,000 student loan with exorbinant interest and penalties (which I did in full), yet the Liberals who stole billions of tax payers money didn't pay any of it back, and they certainly didn't pay interest and penalties! Maybe we should send a collection agency after them!

Again, it was millions of dollars, not billions.
And a number of those advertising people have repaid the money.
And what does it have to do with your student loans, anyway?
And do you think a Conservative government would be more inclined to let you off the hook? Don't think so. Quite the contrary.

Exactly. But confidence votes and coalitions don't make for good sound bites.
Everyone seems to think we have an American system.
No one voted for a prime minister.
We voted for a parliament.
And if Parliament comes to prefer another prime minister to the incumbent, that is entirely part and parcel of our system.
Harper is lying about that.
(I'm from Alberta ... but I really don't like the guy.)

Last edited:

I don't remember more than the faintest mutterings about Harper being a domestic militarist. Rae probably won't win the Liberal leadership. But if he does, I think he might surprise you.

I still remember the Liberal ad running on TV in B & W with troops hopping out of an armored vehicle, foreboding music in the background and the grim serious voice telling us that Harper would put the military on the street. Aside from being completely absurd, it was insulting to our military to imply that they would ever participate in such a thing without good reason.

It's part of the warp and woof of parliamentary democracy. And Harper himself, as you probably know by now, was willing to enter a kind of coalition with the NDP and the Bloc when Martin was still in power, in a minority situation not unlike Harper's case now.

As I mentioned before, I would oppose any party that went ahead with such a thing (even the Conservatives). I can guarantee you that my Conservative MP would get a mouthful from me if the Conservatives ever tried such a thing.

Her husband was the separatist. That's no dramatic thing in Quebec. You have to remember, the Parti Quebecois has been in power in Quebec for a very large part of the last 30 years. If we are too horrified by them, we probably harden the positions of those who are marginally loyal to sovereignty ... people who vacillate and could be nudged back into the federalist camp.

I remember seeing the film on the news (from a documentary about Quebec independence) with Michaelle Jean smiling and toasting Quebec independence sitting at a table with her husband and other avowed seperatists. It didn't look to me like she was doing it against her will.

Well, now we know. If they did ... and the three coalition members certainly sent her a letter, which they had the right to do ... she ignored them.

Yes, as I mentioned she did the right thing. I was pleasantly surprised.

Probably true. But Harper's move would have kneecapped all the Opposition parties ... and that bullying move is not attractive in a national leader.

Yes, politics is a dirty business. However, Chretien was known to be quite a bully in his day with his party members and other political parties. I still remember him trying to strangle a heckler in a crowd.

Jean Chretien introduced the legislation to basically end sizeable corporate donations, an area where the Liberals used to clean up.
Allowing parties to receive a modest amount of public money instead, leveled the playing field, and kept the political system a bit freer of special interests.
For Harper to do this now is quite unfair ... and, worse in a politician, unattractive, something no politician of any instinct wants to be.

Politics is dirty. No different than when the Liberals kicked the Conservatives in the chops at any given moment when they split into different camps and were down.

If you're not entitled to your entitlements, what are you entitled to? The statement can be ridiculed, but it hardly means anything.
There are better reasons to oppose the Liberals.

It was the arrogant tone in which that was said. It was said in a way of who cares if I rip off the taxpayer as long as I get what I want. I still remember that clip running over and over again. I seethed with anger. Again, the pigs lining up at the taxpayer funded trough. Maybe you don't mind your tax dollars being hoarded and squandered, but I do.

The sponsorship scandal involved only tens of millions of dollars, a very small fraction of the billions you're speaking of.
Moreover, those expenditures took place over five or six years.
It was a constant, and yes, indefensible bleeding of money from the general coffers ... but a small one.
There is no reason to believe that senior government people really knew what was going on.
And the cause was national unity.
You oversimplify it.

I don't agree with you on that point. Even if it was tens of millions of dollars, it's still not right. You seem to excuse it like it's acceptable because it's only tens of millions of dollars. If you saw that lying on the street you would say "it's only tens of millions of dollars". The cause may have been national unity, but the intent was to rip off the taxpayer. One Liberal minister (Alfonso Gagliano) was caught with his hand in the cookie jar by receiving kickbacks from these organizations that received government money for little or no work. I think you have oversimplified how incredibly corrupt this whole scandal was.

Again, it was millions of dollars, not billions.
And a number of those advertising people have repaid the money.
And what does it have to do with your student loans, anyway?
And do you think a Conservative government would be more inclined to let you off the hook? Don't think so. Quite the contrary.

I still can't believe that you excuse it as "millions of dollars". BTW - I would never expect to be let off the hook. If I used the money, it's my responsibility to pay it back. I never once tried to duck out of paying my student loans. When I was struggling with repaying them, I had the option of declaring bankruptcy to get out of paying them back. Not once did I consider doing that. It's true that the rules have changed now because too many people were doing that, but back in my day it was an option. I wish the Liberals took their debts as seriously by doing the right thing and paying the money back. Most of the money from the sponsorship scandal could never be recovered. I found it interesting how the gov't went after me with such vim and vigor to get their $25,000 back (even though I was paying them back as much as I could - just not enough in their opinion), yet they didn't seem to pursue their croonies with the same determination to get the sponsorship money back. They went after only a few ad agencies to make it look like they were doing something to appease the outraged public. Once the angered subsided, the Liberal gov't under Martin dropped it by declaring that most of the money could never be recovered.

(I'm from Alberta ... but I really don't like the guy.)

Rubi

That's your democratic right. However, on CBC news last night, they were reporting that Alberta seperatist sentiment was growing because of this proposed coalition. Albertans were angered that Central Canada was ganging up on Harper because he was "an outsider". Remember the rallying cry "the west wants in"? Now they've got in and want to stay in. A coalition with the Bloc would tear the country apart. It would fan the flames of independence in Quebec and in your province of Alberta too.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Now that precedent has been set about prorouging Parliament everytime the PM is in trouble; here are a few suggestions for Harper:

1) Harper should request that Jean prorouge Parliament again as soon as the budget is presented and before Parliament has a chance to vote on it- can't have Harper losing power if the Budget is voted down.

2) When Parliament's current term is up, Harper should ask the GG (it won't be Jean by that point) to prorouge it indefinately- that way he does not have to worry about elections ever again.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I would argue that it is the Liberals that are being selfish and irresponsible. They started this whole thing because their funding (courtesy of the Canadian taxpayer) was being taken away. Under this proposal, the Conservatives would have lost the most money, but they were showing restraint with taxpayers money during these poor economic times. If I have to tighten my belt, why shouldn't the politicians and political parties in Ottawa? People are losing their jobs, savings are dwindling and all the Liberals care about is getting their money - pigs lining up at the tax payer funded trough. After all, the Liberals are "entitled to their entitlements" aren't they? :rolleyes:

I agree that the timing is very suspicious. Nonetheless, they have a valid point: harper isn't taking care of the fiscal crisis. His latest antics only proves this. He clearly cares much more about his political career than the nation's economy.

I would argue that forming a coalition to oust a democratically elected government that has the most seats in anti-Canadian, especially when it involves getting into bed with separatists whose main objective is to destroy Canadian unity. There were rumblings of Alberta separatists gaining strength when this coalition was announced. Giving the Bloc any power whatsoever outside of Quebec would only tear the country apart. I would also like to point out that there were rumblings of Liberals crossing the floor or not showing up to vote on defeating the government because they knew what they were doing was wrong and they were under fire from their constituents for this proposed coalition.
The NDP-Grits are hardly separatists. This act was done to deal with a crisis and desperate times call for desperate measures. I doubt that a single Liberal will cross the floor.

One Liberal MP went on the record saying that he didn't want to defeat the Conservative government by getting into bed with the separatists.

Source, please.

Who are the PCs? That party no longer exists. The Conservatives were formed by merging the Conservative camps (PC and Canadian Alliance - formerly Reform) under one Conservative banner to stop the vote splitting that was preventing the Conservatives from taking power. I would also like to point out that the Conservatives gained seats in the last election whereas the Liberals lost seats. Canadians sure as hell didn't elect a Liberal, NDP, or Bloc government in the last federal election either. They did however increase the size and power of the minority Conservative government.
Yes, I remember all of that clearly (poor Stockwell Day). I guess I should have wrote CP instead of PC. At any rate, you got my meaning.

The NDP gained more seats (proportionately) than any other party. This trend is being reflected--at an accelerated rate--in parliament with this totally legal coalition.

AG08, what's your deal? Where are you from? Are you a covert Tory Backbencher?

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Now that precedent has been set about prorouging Parliament everytime the PM is in trouble; here are a few suggestions for Harper:

1) Harper should request that Jean prorouge Parliament again as soon as the budget is presented and before Parliament has a chance to vote on it- can't have Harper losing power if the Budget is voted down.

2) When Parliament's current term is up, Harper should ask the GG (it won't be Jean by that point) to prorouge it indefinately- that way he does not have to worry about elections ever again.

A precedent may have been set, but it's really pissing Canucks off. I think that Harper should have admitted defeat. Pausing parliament purely for personal political gain is incredibly selfish. If another prorogue is requested then I can see the Hill being razed. This coalition is totally legal and a natural part of the system. At the risk of sounding puerile, Canada has a big fart to release but Harper is clenching our collective butt cheeks.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I still remember the Liberal ad running on TV in B & W with troops hopping out of an armored vehicle, foreboding music in the background and the grim serious voice telling us that Harper would put the military on the street. Aside from being completely absurd, it was insulting to our military to imply that they would ever participate in such a thing without good reason.

Yes, that's true, come to think of it. I apologize for that.
It was not a broadcast ad ... it was (very) briefly on the Liberal Party's website, and then rebroadcast on news shows. It played off the fact that Harper had announced an intention to station military battalions in major cities to help in case of emergencies.
It did distort Harper's intention.

As I mentioned before, I would oppose any party that went ahead with such a thing (even the Conservatives). I can guarantee you that my Conservative MP would get a mouthful from me if the Conservatives ever tried such a thing.

Well, that's certainly your right.

I remember seeing the film on the news (from a documentary about Quebec independence) with Michaelle Jean smiling and toasting Quebec independence sitting at a table with her husband and other avowed seperatists. It didn't look to me like she was doing it against her will.

Well, she wouldn't necessarily be doing it against her will. Have you ever lived in Quebec? Do you follow Quebec politics? Sovereignists don't have horns and hooves. A family of six can have three federalists and three sovereignists. A sovereignist government has been in power 18 of the last 32 years.
In that situation, you would just go along to get along.
The Quebecois hardly talk about sovereignty now.
Of course, there is some underlying sentiment in favour of it ... and that will never go away.
But no one has managed to persuasively describe Jean as a sovereignist.

Yes, as I mentioned she did the right thing [in granting PM Harper a prorogation]. I was pleasantly surprised.

We'll just have to disagree on this.
Now a prime minister can point to a precedent that allows him just to run when he fears that a confidence will work to his disfavour.
It is, in my view, a real blemish on our democracy.

Yes, politics is a dirty business. However, Chretien was known to be quite a bully in his day with his party members and other political parties. I still remember him trying to strangle a heckler in a crowd.

You're not too concerned about details, are you? He did reach out and grab the guy's throat, and immediately dropped his arms.
Hardly an attempt to strangle the guy.
But even so, distasteful in a small-town-bully way as his act was, it was hardly destructive of Canadian democracy.

Politics is dirty. No different than when the Liberals kicked the Conservatives in the chops at any given moment when they split into different camps and were down.

They did nothing in power that would basically kneecap all the opposition parties. Harper's resolve, now withdrawn, to remove public financing would have just that effect.

It was the arrogant tone in which that was said. It was said in a way of who cares if I rip off the taxpayer as long as I get what I want. I still remember that clip running over and over again. I seethed with anger. Again, the pigs lining up at the taxpayer funded trough. Maybe you don't mind your tax dollars being hoarded and squandered, but I do.

I don't think you know how that turned out.
It was shown that Dingwall did not voluntarily resign ... but was forced out.
Two accounting firms found that charges that his expenses had been gouging in their extravagance were completely false. One of the firm's said that the Canadian Mint's monitoring of expenses was stricter than that of most private corporations.
And Dingwall finally got severance and some pension benefits.
The courts decided he was entitled to his entitlements.

I don't agree with you on that point. Even if it was tens of millions of dollars, it's still not right. You seem to excuse it like it's acceptable because it's only tens of millions of dollars.

No. I only say that if you make an accusation, you should get it right.

One Liberal minister (Alfonso Gagliano) was caught with his hand in the cookie jar by receiving kickbacks from these organizations that received government money for little or no work.

I thought the accusations against Gagliano were never that he personally benefited ("hand in the cookie jar") from the sponsorship scandal ... but that he likely knew that Joe Guité's disbursement methods were not rigorous and that the government was routinely paying too much for services rendered (and sometimes not rendered).
Nothing has been proven, and Gagliano is suing the government for several million dollars. I don't where that suit is now.

In other news: I expect that your information comes, directly or indirectly, from the Gomery Inquiry. (Correct me, please, if I am wrong about this.)
Did you know that, last June, a Federal Court judge quashed some of Gomery's conclusions and wrote that Gomery had prejudged many issues before the hearings ended?
None of this is simple stuff.

I wish the Liberals took their debts as seriously by doing the right thing and paying the money back. Most of the money from the sponsorship scandal could never be recovered.

It's like you think that Joe Guité was going to Liberal conventions and handing out hundred dollar bills.
The money went to advertising firms.
Several of those have paid back what they can. (Or have they? I can't claim to really know.)
Some of them claim not to be able to pay back anything.
A number have gone to jail.
I'm sure you're right when you say that most of the money will never be recovered.
That doesn't mean that the species Homo liberalis is walking around with pockets full of money thanks to the sponsorship scandal.

They went after only a few ad agencies to make it look like they were doing something to appease the outraged public. Once the angered subsided, the Liberal gov't under Martin dropped it by declaring that most of the money could never be recovered.

Well, yes ... Groupaction Marketing, Group Everest, Le Groupe Polygone Éditeurs. Ad agencies ... because they were the ones who received the money.

That's your democratic right. However, on CBC news last night, they were reporting that Alberta seperatist sentiment was growing because of this proposed coalition. Albertans were angered that Central Canada was ganging up on Harper because he was "an outsider". Remember the rallying cry "the west wants in"? Now they've got in and want to stay in. A coalition with the Bloc would tear the country apart. It would fan the flames of independence in Quebec and in your province of Alberta too.

We'll have to see. I've heard much talk about Albertan separatistism, but have never met a breathing separatist. Of course, a newscast will look for someone expressing that sentiment.
The Bloc have agreed to support a Throne Speech and two budgets (or something similarly limited). I can't think that will tear the country apart, though I am always ready for surprises.
I'm not at all sure that a coalition including the Bloc will fan Quebec independence. Quebecers are quite happy to have their bread buttered on both sides.
As for Alberta, I just don't see separatist sentiment reaching any dangerous level.
But I can't predict the future.

Last edited:

I believe Harper should have resigned and allow the Conservatives a chance to put someone else in place who is good at damage control.

I can't believe the Bloc still frightens people. I don't think anyone in the Bloc leadership has a reasonable expectation of secession at this point in time. Just the fact that they've thrown their hat into a coalition should say as much.

Jean gave Harper a month and a half to beat his drum and for Harper's colleagues to stab him in the back in hopes of holding on to power. I don't think her action is unreasonable. Maybe the budget will be worked out, but the coalition is going to take power unless another election is called. Harper & Co. may try to call another election, after a vicious public campaign against the coalition leadership, in hopes that the returns will weaken the coalition enough for their pact to crumble. That would be the canny move. Unless something is done, the coalition will take power no matter what Harper does: arranging deck chairs on Titanic.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Unless something is done, the coalition will take power no matter what Harper does: arranging deck chairs on Titanic.

It depends on how public sentiment shifts.
If polls show that Canadians overwhelmingly reject the coalition's right to take power, they probably won't proceed.
He plans to meet the premiers in mid-January, and then present a budget that really speaks to the upcoming economic difficulties ... really removes the essence of the coalition's complaints.
Seven weeks is a very long time in these situations.
Harper is very canny and may yet find an escape hatch.
But I hope that isn't what happens.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
My problem with the coalition is that it includes the Bloc. BTW - my tone would have been just as harsh if the Conservatives had ever done such a thing.

I would have believed you, if not for everything you wrote afterwards. :rolleyes:

At times, I'm convinced that it's impossible for people to discuss political issues without trotting out the same talking points (on each side of the political spectrum) that have been beaten to death over the past 2 years.

uniqueusername

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Let me get this straight--your political parties get GOVERNMENT FUNDING?

If there's any voter in Canada who doesn't think that's completely screwed up, then... well let's just say I'm glad I don't live there.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Let me get this straight--your political parties get GOVERNMENT FUNDING?

If there's any voter in Canada who doesn't think that's completely screwed up, then... well let's just say I'm glad I don't live there.

They need a certain minimum amount of votes to qualify, so the real fringe parties are excluded. The idea behind granting funding to all viable parties is to ensure that they can campaign on a more or less level playing field.

With that in mind, which would you prefer:

1) Political parties A, B, and C each receive 30 million dollars in funding from the government.

or

2) Political parties A, B, and C each receive $30 million in funding from private or corporate donors. Following the election which party B wins, party B agrees to award a no-bid contract to build a (hospital, prison, highway, whatever) to their biggest donor, which ends up costing the taxpayers $500 million more than a contract with competitive bids would have.

The sentiment is mutual.