Harry potter and the Half Blood Prince (the movie)

B_Artful Dodger

Experimental Member
Media
I did it and I'll do it again. What do you mean he carried film 5 (Order of the Phoenix)? He was hardly in it. That film was all about Dolores Umbridge; as I recall.
You recall right... But that film is decidely poor until the last half an hour (The bit with Voldemort in it). In my opinion that half an hour just about rescued the rest of it.

My problem with Fiennes' portrayl of Voldemort is that he's not evil enough, and he's not scary enough. Actually, he's not scary at all. Consider the scene in Goblet of Fire where Voldermort comes back, tortures Harry, and tries to kill him. In the book that scene was intense--you could almost feel Harry's fear and pain, his hopelessness, his certainty that he was going to die like his parents. It was absolutely chilling. When I saw the movie I was really looking forward to that scene--it should have had the audience gasping and saying "Whoa!"--but they way it was filmed was too brief and rather dull, in part because Voldemort was more whiny than evil, more annoying than scary. Instead of making my blood run cold, it bored me. Fiennes' is boring as Voldemort.
Everyones entitled to an opinion... but I cant imagine that scene being much better with any other actor.

I liked the Phoenix film (especially the bit at the beginning where they fly past the Houses of Parliament and it makes London look really cool, haha).

Didn't like Goblet as much. I have to agree (partially) with people who had a problem with Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort. I think he's a brilliant actor - but when I first saw him in Golbet of Fire I was a bit underwhelmed. I'm not sure why - maybe because no actor could live up to the image of Voldemort you get from reading the books. He kinda played it in an understated way which I didnt get at first - but which may work out more effective and sinister ultimately.

I've got used to him now though, and think he's kinda grown into the part - either that or I've adjusted to him playing it.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You recall right... But that film is decidely poor until the last half an hour (The bit with Voldemort in it). In my opinion that half an hour just about rescued the rest of it.

On this we agree.

Everyones entitled to an opinion... but I cant imagine that scene being much better with any other actor.

Ah, see, now that's where we're different. Although I don't have a specific actor in mind, I do have an idea of how I think the part should be played, and Fiennes took a different approach. He's just not cold or menacing enough.

...I have to agree (partially) with people who had a problem with Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort. I think he's a brilliant actor - but when I first saw him in Golbet of Fire I was a bit underwhelmed.

Exactly.

I'm not sure why - maybe because no actor could live up to the image of Voldemort you get from reading the books.

Hmmm...maybe. But I don't really think so. I think if it can be imagined, it can be played. I think the problem is that I imagined the character differently than what Fiennes came up with, and which is aparently satisfactory to most people.

Possibly yeh. I imagined him much more powerfully malevolent...Ralph seemed a bit too urbane in Goblet (not Golbet as I wrote previously).

He might have been trying for an undercurrent of extreme evil - where on the surface people can appear civil and almost human - but underneath is a terrible capacity for cruelty. Not sure he managed to pull it off in Goblet - although Phoenix was better. I kind of imagined him much more obviously terrifying, but maybe that will develop in the next two films.

PS: Perhaps you and I just tend to imagine stuff more evilly meniscus? haha :p

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
so did we ever settle on if harry potter was hung or not ; apparrently his balls were lol

Good lord. Have you not seen the nine thousand instances of posts of his naked pics from Equus?? He looks just fine. :rolleyes:

I rather liked the movie. And while it's been so long since I read the book that I can't quite remember just how faithful the movie was to it, I imagine that as with all of them, some license has to be taken. I don't mind it. I thought the principals' acting was great and I liked the "growing up" of the characters; they need to advance personally. Anyway, I enjoyed it.