Harry Potter madness

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Formulaic as the Harry Potter books are, they're still entertaining and full of resonances to traditional fairy tales and Northern/Western European legends.

And they have inspired a whole generation of children to become interested in reading. That's why I respect their influence--not because of the quality of the writing or the nobility of the subject matter, but because of their effect.

NCbear (who's the son of a librarian and who's therefore a bit biased about the value of reading books)

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Formulaic as the Harry Potter books are, they're still entertaining and full of resonances to traditional fairy tales and Northern/Western European legends.
Shakespeare and Austin are formulaic and are brilliant.

Originality is highly overrated, usually by people who are boring and bored, and have no real skills to measure anything of value.

They are a good read! Just because literature appeals to children it doesn't mean it can't be great literature.

Mr Bear, you are right.

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They are a good read! Just because literature appeals to children it doesn't mean it can't be great literature.

Agreed. I prefer the LOTR books and films. But I think HP is still enjoyable.

I bet J.K Rowling is swimming in her giant vault of money Scrooge McDuck style.:biggrin1: