Harry Potter

rayv1: With the release of the new book fast approaching, I was wondering if there were any Harry Potter fans (or parents of fans) out there. I personally enjoy the series. Anyone else?

Longhornjok: Loved the books but am REALLY excited that that hack Chris Columbus (sorry if you're an LPSG guy, Chris hehe) will not be directing the next movie. Alfonso Cuaron is directing the 3rd film and I can't wait to see what the man who directed Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN and A LITTLE PRINCESS will bring to the screen. POTTER films had the potential to be on the level of LORD OF THE RINGS but they pretty much sucked. IMNSHO, of course. :)

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I just got charged for my preorder. Like I needed anymore on my credit card. But I've loved the series so far, and if I actually get the book tommorow it'll be done tommorow.

7x6andchg: All I know is that my poor sister who works at a Barnes and Noble is working 6 pm to 3 am today because of the teen wizard...retail stoops to a new low.

What irks me - she lives and works in NYC and the store did not provide for any late night transportation for them.

7x6andchg: If they are actual excerpts and the NYT managed to get them beforehand and published them it is, technically, an infringement....but to be honest, I do not imagine that is going to HURT sales.

This from a woman who says she is "ashamed" to be so rich - richer even than HM QEII.

7x6&C

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=DeeBlackthorne link=board=99;num=1056145840;start=0#4 date=06/20/03 at 21:16:10]So.... any thoughts on that lawsuit co-penned by Rowling and her publishing company against The New York Times?[/quote]

Sure. It's great for publicity. She's made $5.8 million from Harry Potter ... do I really believe she gives a shit? Well, yeah, some ... but not as much as she's making it out to be!

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You don't possibly think it could be for the principal of the matter, and to perhaps set a precident to ensure that it doesn't happen with final ones.

AnonyMs: If you do not see or hear from me for about the next 48 hours, it will be because my copy arrived today. ;D I am about to settle down into my favorite chair, with a large glass of Diet Coke and begin the read.

AnonyMs: Okay, I'm back. I was afraid for a brief moment there was was going to be a dreadful "Luke, I am your father" kind of revelation, but fortunately, there was not. I give it a B+ - would have been higher if we had not had to wait so long for the darned thing.

Mighty_Joe: I'd prefer reading something like Hustler or Playgirl.

notsoyoungteen: Well, personally, I got the book at midnight when it came out, and read non-stop for 18 hours and finished the book :eek:. By the end, I was running on 36 hours of no sleep, so I honestly have to say big portionsof the book are rather a blur. However, from what I can remember, it was decent, though seemed to lack something.... I think I know what it was... all the other books had pratically non-stop action, but this one had it all concentrated into the last 100 pages or so. I also have some funny feeling about their "study habbits" - it seemed like all of a sudden they decided to be good students, and -poof- it happened.... Finally, I also noticed this book had much fewer liitle details that you thoguth of when you go back and read the first 4 novels (because I have done that again as well.) Just my little opinion :)

P.S. - Does anyone remember people releasing info before it came out (a while befoer it came out) that it was supposed to be shorter than Goblet of Fire? And that if you look inside the back cover, you will notice that all the books were printed in the same font, but #'s 1-4 were font size 12, where as 5 is font size 11.5? So it's actually longer than it appears - using my calculator, supposing all the pages were perfectly filled (which they weren't) the book would have been 908 pages - 38 pages longer. Just food for thoguht - imagine, 38 pages times however many books they printed/will print, covered front and back in ink - imagine how much money they will save on ink and paper, all because of a difference of half a font size. :)

mindseye: Food for thought:

In this article, UVA Law Professor Tim Wu argues that Rowling and her publishers have been too zealously protective of their copyright, and that this zeal will ultimately hurt the franchise in international markets.

I don't agree with all of Dr. Wu's points, but I think his overall argument is interesting and provocative.

What do y'all think?

AnonyMs: mmm.... sounds like it is all about greed and control..... the indigeneous Potter rip offs sound delightful....