Has any of you actually had to get a prostate exam

Discussion in 'Show Off' started by Imported, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

mandingo561: I was just wondering if any of you all have actually gone/or had to go and get a prostate exam?? If so, what exaclty is being done because I think I may need one, and i'm nervous. ???

2. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: First, no I've not had one. Second, I'd be a little worried myself... but after reading your second post, you're just 21. I thought it was recommended to start getting them at 30 (6 years left in my countdown :) I also gather you're black (give me a cookie if I'm right)... I think it is highly recommended blacks get the exams, but I also thought that was after 30...  What's the matter if you mind sharing?

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Just had my annual prostate check last month.

Since my prostate is not as sensitive as most men's I've never been able to feel it when the doctor inserts a finger to massage it. I've often wondered how it would feel to have that 'trigger' to help in orgasm.

I've never experienced an erection during the exam.

Pecker

4. Imported

Gold Member

jackinman: Hey mandingo...why do you think you need a prostate exam?  as Chubby mentioned at 21 years old that shouldn't be a problem for you this early in your life.  To answer your question, and I'll put it in plain english..I'm not trying to be funny here..... it involves your doctor sticking his finger up your ass to see if your prostate is  enlarged.  If is enlarged then you may have to go for further tests.

Btw Chubby, it is recommended that males have a prostate exam every year starting at age 40. You still still have plenty of time.   enjoy life

5. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: 40?

~sigh of relief~

My understanding is that it involves a gloved hand and an index finger and is not altogether uncomfortable, however, I imagine it's an unusual feeling for a heterosexual male like myself. I'll let you know in 10 years.

7x6&C

6. Imported

Gold Member

jackinman: [quote author=7x6andchange link=board=youth;num=1057123474;start=0#4 date=07/02/03 at 15:42:49]40?

~sigh of relief~

My understanding is that it involves a gloved hand and an index finger and is not altogether uncomfortable, however, I imagine it's an unusual feeling for a heterosexual male like myself.  I'll let you know in 10 years.

7x6&C[/quote]

Oh yes it is uncomfortable 7x6...at least to me it is. You'll find out in 10 years..... just hope that your doctor is not 6'5" tall and can palm a basketball.   :D 

7. Imported

Gold Member

cypher13: Prostate exams are no big deal, just a part of a physical when you reach a certain age - which I passed a long time ago.

The procedure has been well-described here. Doctor inserts his (or her) finger and feels the prostate. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have neither had an erection nor ejaculated when this happened to me. It wasn't painful either. It just happens and it's over, taking no more than maybe ten seconds.

A

8. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: (Note to self - find short female doctor.)

From being on the receiving end of 8 root canals and 5 extracted teeth - I can tell you there are things I can imagine as being more uncomfortable...

But I will let everyone know on LPSG XXI in 2013. :D

7x6&C

9. Imported

Gold Member

prepstudinsc: I've had a prostate exam and a sigmoidoscopy due to the fact that my mother's side of the family has a high rate of cancer deaths. I also had a prostate exam last fall due to the fact that I got a terrible staph infection after having knee surgery. Long story short, it took four doctors four weeks to figure out what was wrong, and by that time all my lymph nodes were involved and they were swollen, and the lymph nodes in my groin had gotten infected, causing my scrotum to swell because of the fluid. Needless to say it was terribly painful and very gross to look at. The urologist I went to ran all sorts of tests and also did a prostate check to make sure it wasn't infected. The exam was not painful, but I wouldn't say it was comfortable. It just felt like pressure. The funny thing was that it made me start leaking precum and my underwear had a huge wet spot.
    The doctor just kind of looked at it and laughed and said it was normal, then he handed me a tissue to clean it up. The result of the urologist running tests including an ultrasound of my balls, showed that the lymph nodes formed an abcess that went from my hip into my scrotum, so one month after having knee surgery, I was admitted into the hospital for very strong IV antibiotics, and then had a surgery to remove a few of the lymph nodes and clean the abcess out. My balls were swollen for a couple more weeks, but everything returned back to my regular size and things work as good as they did before.

An interesting and scary side note, the surgeon who did the second surgery told me that staph infections like I got are pretty common due to the amount of lymph nodes behind the knee. They filter out the infection and it can spread through the lypmh system. There is a man from my church who had the same kind of knee surgery I did (at the same hospital!) who ended up in ICU two weeks later...they didn't give him much chance. His doctor was expecting him to die, but he pulled through.

Sorry, that got way off track, but yes, at age 32 I had a prostate exam.

10. Imported

Gold Member

chipster: I've had a number of digital rectal exams.  All by female Docs.  Each time, my current Doc apologizes for having to do the exam, but reminds me that she has very small fingers.  We laugh, which helps lighten the mood and I tell her that is why I chose her over the male Docs in that office.  I don't find the exam uncomfortable, just an unusual sensation.  I get semi-hard and leak some pre-cum.  She is very nice about it, offers a tissue and never looks as I clean up front and back.  
    In all, nothing to worry about, really.

11. Imported

Gold Member

mandingo561: Yes, i'm 21, and yes, I am also black (what gave it away?? ;) :D ) The "problem" is this, i find myself having to frequently urinate, one night, i had to get up and pee about 6 times within 2 hours, at times after peeing, i get this burning sensation, when I pee now, its like, i'm finished in 4-5 seconds, whereas i used to pee for 10 seconds (i've never timed myself pissin before until today) which i thought was just because of an overactive bladder or something, but now i'm not sure, and lastly, when i masturbate, there is not really any cum until later on when im using the bathroom and my boxers are soaked (seems as tho it dribbles later). What do you all think??

12. Imported

Gold Member

jackinman: Well Mandingo go make an appointment to see a urologist. At least it'll ease your mind a bit. Tell him or her all these symptoms you are having and see what they say.

Hey Prepstud I'm glad everything came out ok for you buddy. I can't even start to imagine what you were going through.

13. Imported

Gold Member

prepstudinsc: Mandingo-
    Get yourself to a doctor ASAP, preferably a urologist. You don't want to take any chances. It may be something minor that be helped easily, but you don't want to risk any long term damage to the "plumbing."

Jackinman-
    Thanks, everything is back to normal, and other than a little scar right where my scrotum attaches to my body, you'd never know anything happened. The scar is hidden by my pubic hair, so it's no big deal.

14. Imported

Gold Member

andym478: Mandingo you do need to go to the doc to get this sorted. i work in healthcare, but am not in the habit of diagnosing over the internet.

There is probably an innocent explanation here but don't hang around as even innocent problems can become serious if left.

As for the exam, with your symptoms i think you probably will need one just to make absolutly sure there is no problem there.

When i have done this procedure in the past i have had all sorts of reactions from the patient, but whatever happens i am always sensitive to their feelings. If you get an erection that is a normal thing for some guys (whatever their sexuality), the doc probably wont comment or will just make light of it. If you are finding it uncomfortable try to relax as much as possible, take some deep breaths and bring your knees up to your chest a bit more.

The finger goes in about 2" - 3", lube is used to make it easier, the doc then feels the front side of your rectal wall to make sure the prostate is smooth and not enlarged. Most guys only feel a sensation of pressure or fullness, if you do feel pain let the doc know. The exam takes a few seconds only, and a good doc will be really gentle.

So go get it sorted!!

15. Imported

Gold Member

malito: The exam is a piece of cake!! It is somewhat uncomfortable and the lube is messy most of the day afterward. I have had them done everyother year for my driver lisence for the past 30 years.
    The biopsy is VERY uncomfortable. And it hurt. My butt gave blood for about a week after.
    My recommendation is relax and let it happen. It is not something real enjoyable but nothing to be affraid of either.

16. txquis

Gold Member

I had nonspecific prostatitis when i was 27.
    It WAS NOT caused by bacteria or an STD...it was
    just "there".
    The most frustrating thing about it is that it can
    occur without a specific reason..and genetics play
    a part, too...as does stress...urinary tract health, etc.

felt like i was sitting on a golfball.

That might feel good to some people, but...
    not when you dont want to be sitting on something.
    LOL.

The exams themselves were inconvenient (a finger up the bum, etc),
    and a bit embarrassing, but not painful in anyway.

The bad news is, once you have had it you are prone
    to recurring trouble with it.
    There is a website (if you type PROSTATITIS into Google you can find it) with a lot of advice and Q and A.

17. benderten2001

Gold Member

I've had several prostate exams done and can attest to virtually everything that's been noted here already...
    they're not all that painful, somewhat messy (from the lube) and that momentary "pressure" sensation.

[quote author=bilbobagginsx link=board=youth;num=1057123474;start=0#2 date=07/02/03 at 05:33:48]

"...Since my prostate is not as sensitive as most men's I've never been able to feel it when the doctor inserts a finger to massage it.  I've often wondered how it would feel to have that 'trigger' to help in orgasm..."

[/quote]

Glad to hear "Bilbo" / Pecker's comments. I walked away from my exams with the same experience.

It's good to know that I'm not by myself in that regard!

18. Imported

Gold Member

mandingo561: ??? Truth be told, i'm nervous as hell now!!

So now my question is this, so after the doctor does the finger probing thing, then what?? If it is in fact enlarged, what is the procedure, and if it is not enlarged, what else do they check for??

19. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: You know... earlier I was thinking of this thread and i wondered... in a world of cat scans and x-rays, do they really need to stick anything up there?!

20. benderten2001

Gold Member

[quote author=mandingo561 link=board=youth;num=1057123474;start=0#17 date=07/03/03 at 22:24:48]

???  "Truth be told, i'm nervous as hell now!!  

So now my question is this, so after the doctor does the finger probing thing, then what?? If it is in fact enlarged, what is the procedure, and if it is not enlarged, what else do they check for??"

[/quote]

Well---seems now, you have TWO (additional) things working against you.

Anxiety, and ...

jumping to (unnecessary) conclusions.

Your first step should be to just GET TO THE DOCTOR.

Although likely, the actual prostate "probing" may not even occur.  The MD may take other "routes" to diagnose your situation.

It could be you have some kind of infection (or inflammation) which is easily and readily treatable with medicine over a period of time. Consultation with the doc and blood/lab work would confirm that.

You know, the most frightening, most bizarre of symptoms can result from the simplest of problems within our bodies.  Nothing beats the peace of mind that results when a physician offers one of these "simple answer/diagnoses" to a problem that otherwise was scaring you to pieces emotionally and mentally.

I for one want to believe you have a simple, quite-easy- to-fix solution awaiting you, here.

If the MD should however, find cause for concern, you needn't expect news of having to lose your prostate altogether--probably every man's most inherent fear regarding problems with that gland.

There ARE various approaches to health issues---typically involving additional tests and evaluations WAY before a scalpel is ever lifted, --even ordered.

So,  try to avoid worrying yourself into next, anemia!

Make the appointment, see the doc, and know you have the good wishes of many here that you will get good, (comforting) reassuring news.  

We're ALL here for you.     ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted