Has anyone here had a mid life crisis?

Oh and this

My grandfather was temporarily in a nursing home because he broke his arm at 93. He was in his private room with his private nurse and heard a knock at the door. The nurse rose to answer it and while she was busy, my grandfather saw his late mother and two late sisters outside the window of his room. They were waving to him and the sight filled him not with dread, but with happiness. He recalled that they all appeared far younger than he remembered. My grandfather had once said that he believed, despite going to church many years, that, "...when you're dead you're dead and that's it." Less than two weeks later my grandmother told the aide she had to go to the hospital to visit my grandfather. She awoke her nurse and ordered the nurse to take her to the hospital. When she arrived, my grandfather who had faded rapidly since his vision, awoke from his coma and greeted my grandmother. She professed her undying love for him and with just that, he died moments later. I'm a man of science, I don't believe in supernatural things. I believe that my grandparents had a connection, married over 75 years, that science cannot yet explain. Someday science will explain it, yet however it does, nothing will match the dignity of privilege that love holds over any formula or theorum.

Burn the candle however it feels is right for you. Our time here is short by any means. If you can die without regrets, you'll die happy.

By grace and providence, I have been blessed beyond any measure and I marvel at the quality of extraordinary people I have been privileged to hold me in any regard. One of them is here.

When I die, my first night in heaven will be spent at the table of Thomas Jefferson at his Monticello-In-The-Sky. After that, I'm anybody's guest.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
A wise man once said-
"The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."

Jason. Thanks for that post. It took courage to write and hits close to home.

My oldest brother has gone through much the same life experience as you. At 59 he is divorced, with no money, many debts and few prospects. Some how he carries on. His children love him and he has support from the rest of the family. He is also a genius. He is very clever mentally and with his hands. The guy can build or repair anything.

I believe that his problem stems from the fact that he was very close to our father and worked with him well into adulthood. Dad always favored him and in his heart knew he was a special guy. But he always wanted him to do better. He was constantly on his case about doing better and would tell him that he was wrong in his thoughts and actions. They would have some really very horrible verbal clashes. I think a lifetime of hearing this killed my brother's confidence in himself. He believes he will fail and is afraid of trying.

I was getting the same shit from Dad, but said 'fuck this shit' and left. I figure that if I try and fail, so what? What's worst that can happen? I'm not going to die and I don't give a damn what others think. It's the same in sales or trying to get a job. What's the worst they can say? No? It doesn't hurt me and it is their loss.

Beverly Sills said, "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try."
(I've collected dozens of these quotes. I call them 'Words to live by' :rolleyes: )

I don't presume to tell you what to do. I can only put in my two cents worth and wish you luck.

Thanks Vince :smile:

I see a parallel there. Early in my life my father had uncontrollable rages which he took out on me, frequently for perceived slights I didn't intend. Other times he'd just get angry about life and take it out on me. Then he'd feel guilty for it and overcompensate by trying to fix everything for me. Whatever I'd attempt, he'd get involved and take over to make it better than I could. He still does this to this day. I dread talking to him about anything because I know he'll try to dominate it. My last attempt at starting a business resulted in him thinking of the name of it, making business cards, getting telephone numbers, printing cards, filing the DBA, just everything! It left me feeling superfluous and inadequate. We are extremely different people in just about every way though extremely similar in how we think. That makes for enormous difficulties in common communication and appreciation. I'm trying very hard to unlearn my previous patterns of behavior. Just catching them and changing my behavior in that light is very difficult because what I do seems so instinctual I don't realize I'm doing it. Replacing those behaviors with new and healthy ones is even more difficult because I don't always know what the healthy behaviors are. I'm like a child that way and it's immensely embarrassing at my age.

I wish the very best for your brother and thank you for sharing his experience with me. It's heartening to know I'm not alone out there. I am obliged to your kindness.

One other thing about my grandfather:

I forgot to mention that when the nurse opened the door there was nobody there.

True story, on my soul.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Loved the stories, jason, and all of the other ones that folks have been sharing.

I don't see the Mid-Life Crisis as a 'crisis' really. More as an opportunity, a wake-up call to look at your life and see if you are where you want to be.

I really don't have a problem with a guy buying Ferrari's, getting young girl friends...etc. It might be that these are things he's always wanted to but never gave himself the permission. Some of us just aren't as confident to do those things that we want, instead trapping ourselves in places we 'think' we're supposed to go or to be.

For example, I've always wanted a tattoo but remember saying 'what will people say about me' and 'what will I look like when I'm older'. Well, now I AM older and I don't give a fuck what people think. Can you think of a better time to get a tatt? At least now I can enjoy it (actually 'it' is a 'them'...they've blossomed all over my bod).

Once you realise that you are worth every good thing in life, then the crisis kinda goes away.

I am lucky to have a partner that loves me and puts up with my foibles just as I do the same. I am lucky to have a family that truly loves me and that I can laugh with till my face hurts whenever I'm lucky enough to be around them. I have worked hard to find a passion in my career that very few of my friends have. And I am extremely excited to be a horny, passionate fucker that loves to spend sweaty, nasty, cum-filled time with the men in my life.

So if that's a crisis, bring it on, bitch!

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I had my midlife crisis right before my 25th birthday. ...

This is technically, as John Mayer coined, a "quarter life crisis."

Jason--thanks, again, for being one of the most open and honest members of the board. Your ability to reveal yourself here so that we may all learn is amazing. Big hugs to you, handsome!

B_cherryplum69

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I too had a midlife crisis at the age of 37. Had a great husband 3 fab kids family all around me, didnt need to work I was one of those ladies that lunched. I had a small part time job just to fill my time when the kids were at school, i also went to the gym 7 days a week - as i had put on loads of weight - the weight began to fall off & in doing so it made me feel more desirable & boosted my confidence, men other than my husband found me attractive which was a novelty. After about 3 months of gym etc i had reached my goal, but cos of the attention i was getting i felt i was being stifled within the marriage as i thought the marriage was dead so thought the grass was greener on the other side.
I did meet someone else, divorced my husband & lived with this guy for 10yrs & put all the weight back on, he was a mean, selfish & a total womaniser for which i divorced him for 2yrs ago, I lost all of my self confidence & had very low self esteem.
Since then ive shed all the weight again met a fab guy who helped me tremendously & life is great.

The moral of the story is life isnt greener on the other side, but sometimes u need a reality check to bring u to your senses.

Make a life change, go on a round the world cruise, change your job, move house etc, an affair isnt the answer nor is shagging everything that moves, but dont what ever u do think u are bigger than the situation u are in. Try & work it out with the person u are with or seek professional help
:veryhappy:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think my mid life crisis has come and gone. I was 35 when my husband left and was forced to quit school, sell my beloved house, work a number of jobs just to get by, endure an expensive divorce, find out who my real friends were, lose a family I had come to love, but the worst part was the loss of belief in myself. I felt as though a rug were pulled out from underneath me and I had no control over my own life whatsoever. Everything that gave me confidence had suddenly disappeared.

I became something of a hermit for a while. I avoided relationships for a long time and relied only on my family and few close friends. After much therapy and soul-searching, I realised that my situation was not the result of anything I did wrong, something I worried about for a long time. Once my ex confirmed this suspicion one evening, I began the healing process. Took a couple years but i'm making the life i've always wanted for myself, slowly but surely.

As painful as those years were, I wouldn't change a thing about my past. I wouldn't be who I am now without them.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Would you want your candle of life to burn twice as bright but last half as long or burn half as bright but live twice as long?

As someone who faced death several times at an early age, I have lived my life as the twice as bright candle.

There is no guarantee of tomorrow. I chose to start making a difference in the lives of others when I was 13. I've almost died 3 times in the last 6.5 years. I have no regrets about not doing more in my life.

Maybe, if you focused on making a change in the lives of wounded people, you'd find your life more fulfilling, and not be concerned about time slipping away.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had my midlife crisis right before my 25th birthday. I have always been advanced for my age, such a gifted child I was. :tongue:

I had been a maid-of-honor twice and bridesmaid once in an eight month span of time. One friend had a baby and another had recently gotten a promotion at work and a major raise.

I was still living with my parents, working a full time and part time job to pay off credit card debts, and when I looked at my life in comparison to others I didn't like what I saw. I was in a dead end job, I had an on again off again boyfriend and O had no prospects for a better life or the things I really wanted like a husband and children. So, I applied to a local state college where I completed my bachelors degree.

I also had a kick ass party. I used to believe in drowning ones sorrows in champagne back then so the party was really a coping mechanism for me. :cool:

I dont think that really is a midlife crisis. I think that can happen at any age as you just expressed. I think we have a number of these "How am I doing?" moments throughout our lives. I also think comparing your life path with that of friends and family can only lead to additional low self esteem. THink about all the time you wouldnt have wasted worrying about the husband and children if you had known you would still be single at this point. I know I had to get to that point as well.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hell yeah, I'd call living the cold war all over again a mid life crisis.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oh and this

My grandfather was temporarily in a nursing home because he broke his arm at 93. He was in his private room with his private nurse and heard a knock at the door. The nurse rose to answer it and while she was busy, my grandfather saw his late mother and two late sisters outside the window of his room. They were waving to him and the sight filled him not with dread, but with happiness. He recalled that they all appeared far younger than he remembered. My grandfather had once said that he believed, despite going to church many years, that, "...when you're dead you're dead and that's it." Less than two weeks later my grandmother told the aide she had to go to the hospital to visit my grandfather. She awoke her nurse and ordered the nurse to take her to the hospital. When she arrived, my grandfather who had faded rapidly since his vision, awoke from his coma and greeted my grandmother. She professed her undying love for him and with just that, he died moments later. I'm a man of science, I don't believe in supernatural things. I believe that my grandparents had a connection, married over 75 years, that science cannot yet explain. Someday science will explain it, yet however it does, nothing will match the dignity of privilege that love holds over any formula or theorum.

Burn the candle however it feels is right for you. Our time here is short by any means. If you can die without regrets, you'll die happy.

By grace and providence, I have been blessed beyond any measure and I marvel at the quality of extraordinary people I have been privileged to hold me in any regard. One of them is here.

When I die, my first night in heaven will be spent at the table of Thomas Jefferson at his Monticello-In-The-Sky. After that, I'm anybody's guest.

You should read a book called "Into The Light" by Dr. John Lerma. He talks about people in hospices having similar experiences to your grandfather.
Death is a transition towards something remarkably better.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
I remember an elderly french baron's view on love and life. Being older was a beautiful thing. The changes happen, you adjust to them, you get comfortable in your skin, you learn to see beauty in people who are older, wrinkled, and slower. In part it's all in your perspective.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have to admit that I really wasn't sure about starting this thread but I'm so pleased that I did. You guys are a powerful combination of support and wisdom.

My mind is a bit fucked up right now and I know exactly why. It's something I can't share here. I know what the outcome will be and I'm happy with that. Lets just say it's a bit difficult in the meantime.

Jason you especially have always been a great support and listener. If I can ever return the favour then just say the word and I'd only be too happy to lend an ear and help if I could.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Thanks for your comments guys especially invisibleman. I can assure you it's nothing to do with confidence :wink:. I just can't put my finger on it.

You are grappling with the slow realization that you are closer to the end than the beginning... that life is not full of limitless opportunity and that many of the things you fantasied you might accomplish in life are unlikely to occur.

You may have gone as far, professionally, as you are gonna get... may be having to accept that you will not be the great director, CEO or rockstar you might have preferred...

You are beginning to realize that you HAVE a body... because it is starting to show the strain of living... and this is making you aware that you WILL age, you will become less able, in every measure... something that seemed an abstract idea is now really happening to you..

If days were dollars, you only get 27,000 of them....and you have spent more than 16,000 of them already... and the remaining 11,000 are not going to be as fun, frolicksome, and pain free as were the days that are behind you.

Your libido is on the wane.... probably your hair, too...

When we are young, we think of life as a limitless well from which we can draw as we please...

But at a certain age we begin to be painfully aware that we will only really watch the sunrise a handful of times in our lives... only have so many first kisses.... someday buy our very last set of tires... of shoes.... of concert tickets.

Say not cease for cease is soon enough, and lasting....
And no measure of time is time enough by the measure of any man.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
PS- you know you are middle aged the very first time you realize you parked your car in the sun and the seats are going to be scorching hot...

And you like it...

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
PS- you know you are middle aged the very first time you realize you parked your car in the sun and the seats are going to be scorching hot...

And you like it...

Well we've had a heatwave here for the last week and guess what I've done that every day. That's me well and truly fucked then isn't it. :rolleyes::biggrin1:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont think that really is a midlife crisis. I think that can happen at any age as you just expressed. I think we have a number of these "How am I doing?" moments throughout our lives. I also think comparing your life path with that of friends and family can only lead to additional low self esteem. THink about all the time you wouldnt have wasted worrying about the husband and children if you had known you would still be single at this point. I know I had to get to that point as well.

I've had this too, but mine was different. I compared myself to people around me in the community, and although I was still living with my parents and working dead end jobs to pay my bills and put myself through school for my second degree (one that I later really did use for professional employment!), I felt that I was BETTER off than most of the women I knew there. Most were saddled with kids, abusive husbands/boyfriends, and little or no job skills. Plus there were not that many job opportunities there anyway, especially for women (sexism was REALLY bad there). So while I thought I was better off for not being stuck in an abusive relationship and having kids to support, I wanted something better - a good job and to be on my own. I got that later (in my thirties), but it didn't last. Now I have one of the two. I am still managing to be on my own, but no longer have the good job. I have a few prospects, and have worked jobs that may have been temporary, but were not nearly as bad as the jobs I had when I was in my twenties.

As for the husband/kids thing, I have never wanted children, and have never looked upon anyone who had them with envy. I was more likely to feel that they were probably a lot more stifled in their lives than I was. I would maybe like to have a husband but I want someone I'm truly compatible with, and of course who is NOT abusive!

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i remember when my dad was around his mid 40s he went through a mid-life crisis. it was difficult because brought on a lot of changes for the whole family. however, the good thing is he eventually snapped out of it and things have gotten a lot better for him and the family since then.