Has anyone here successfully lowered their BP without drugs

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by DaveyR, Jul 15, 2007.

1. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

My partner has been ill recently and it turns out to be high blood pressure. He has been prescribed medication by the Doctor and after only 3 days the results are good so far. He's been advised to cut out salt completely. He's also only allowed meat twice a week (not just red meat but all meat which surpised us). Carbonated drinks of any sort are also a no no. He's also to exercise more. I've said I'll stick to the regime with him as it can only do me good and make things easier for him.

He's determined to stick to the regime and lose a little weight ( only about 7 pounds) so he can hopefully get rid of the drugs quickly.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of lowering their blood pressure through change of diet and exercising and had any advice for us?

2. kiahman

kiahman Member

I wish you and your partner well. Recently, I successfully came off of blood pressure medicine after being on it for about 3 months. I cut back on high sodium foods, late night eating but most importantly, I started working out. High Blood Pressure runs in my family, but I feel that I am too young at 34 to be on daily medicines.

Remember, diet and excerise is very important. I am sure that he will be fine and most likely off of it too if he sticks close to the diet and exercise plan.

3. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Thanks for the Kiahman. As I said these first few days have made a huge difference already.

4. Onslow

Gold Member

I wish your partner the best in all of this and you as well as you become acquainted with his silent killer.

Keep in mind that there are those among us for whom diet and exercise are not the only answer. My siblings and my mother all got hit with high blood pressure. With me it was attributed to weight and diet, but altering those did nothing. My brothers (3 out of 4) eat right, exercise and all of that and have the high b.p. All of us got hit with this in our early 40s (and yes, strokes are common in out family), we are not particularly salt eaters--mother never used salt as an additive in cooking, so I have no fond recollective desire for it, and in blood and urine work, my sodium levels are low. I was prescribed atenolol and it is the only thing which has worked. Immediately after the diagnosis, I cut out all sodium and fat and exercised and lost some 50 pounds, the b.p. not only stayed high, it went higher (mother had her first stroke at 45, my immediate younger brother had one at 39). I said screw this, and began to eat as I had before and my b.p. stayed high. The doctor decided to try meds, and it lowered. And lowered. And lowered yet again. For more than a decade, even with weight fluctuations and bad health behaviors, my b.p. has remained consistantly in a safe zone. It had been hovering at astronomical levels such as 190/156 and occasionally higher. It now stays from 100/70--rare but it happens--to 130/90. Some fluctuation is normal. The prescription meds did have a good accumulative effect and over time as I went from 150mg daily down to my current 50mg daily and I;m a bit older and have been through a few health matters so it's definitely a medication which has helped.

Keep us posted on how all of this goes for the both of you.

5. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I will do Onslow. Thanks for sharing that with us. Like I said the initial signs are encouranging.

6. technopeasant

technopeasant Member

You can lose weight and lower your BP a limited amount unless you are grossly over weight it will do little good. Most of BP is now recognised to be genetic and they are now placing Young childern as young as newborn on bp meds. Some effect erection more or less than others.

7. Love-it

Gold Member

Cold pressed Aloe Vera Juice, I have used and recommended it for years. Request is the brand name, out of Texas, that I found effective, many store brands and health food store juices are adulterated, diluted or processed with heat. Out of 15 or so people that have actually tried it only one didn't get a BP reduction. If your BP is pretty high I would recommend one liquid ounce in the morning and one in the evening, warning, have a BP monitor on hand as the next day your BP may be below 120/80 and you will want to cut back to one ounce a day. Most people have been able to taper off of the juice and maintain a normal blood pressure. Mine is still good, even though I am 50 pounds overweight and eat lots of meat, dairy, fats and soda, and I have been off the juice over 10 years, I took it for about two years reducing the quantity all the while.

Mix it in cranberry juice or something if you find the taste objectionable, it took me awhile before I could take it straight.

8. dolfette

Gold Member

yoga, meditation, learning to relax.

got any pets? it's proven that stroking a pet lowers bp.

9. mikhail

mikhail New Member

Exercise plays a big part, as has been said. But it is not necessary to do heavy workouts, particularly if the person has not led a very active lifestyle in the past. A 60 minute walk, six days a week, does wonders too.

10. D_Aston Asstonne

D_Aston Asstonne Account Disabled

ceyanne pepper and water.my b.p gets high occasionally.and this old home remedy works like a charm.

11. wideone

wideone New Member

Remember that there are many things you can do to lower bp and that while some of them get it down only a point or 2, in conjunction, they can have a really big effect. There are many great drugs for hypertension out there. But people forget that they are only an element of the treatment. Diet, exercise and other strategies are also huge contributors.

Ask your doctor to explain the no-meat directive to you. It's great if your partner replaces it with high-fiber, high protein nuts and vegetables. But many of us would be tempted go with carbs to get that "full feeling," and that won't be good for blood sugar or weight.

Also, not everyone with primary hypertension is salt-sensitive. There are some people out there avoiding salt who don't need to. Do what your doctor says, but get a monitor and become proficient at taking the readings yourselves. It's a good feeling to take control of it, and you can track the effects of diet that way. Also, there are a lot of great books out there. Good luck.

12. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Has anyone here successfully lowered their BP without drugs

...nope...

13. steven0995

steven0995 Member

I lowered mine with a controled diet and weight loss, as well as reducing my stress level. A combination of high stress level and weight contributed to my high BP. Now, it's in check without medication and I work constantly to keep it that way.

14. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'll have to admit I haven't really tried very hard. Pressure is in the low-high range. I'm still quite slim and don't watch my diet (though I've been told to reduce fats). So perhaps with work and a more sensible diet, I could too.

15. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Thanks for all the positive comments. Just one week has made a huge difference already.

16. steeler_999

steeler_999 Member

I'm 60 years old. Four years ago I bought a home blood pressure monitor. The readings that I got for the first few months were typically about 135/80. I tried various things. Two changes in diet seemed to help. One was consuming a tablespoon of flax seed oil per day. Flax seed oil contains omega 3 fatty acids, which are a nutrient essential for cardiovascular health. Fish oil capsules are another good source. Also, I started taking a couple of potassium gluconate tablets each day. Adequate potassium intake is necessary for healthy blood pressure, and the potassium gluconate form seems to be a little more potent than other forms of potassium. Anyway, my blood pressure now averages 115/70, and is often lower, and it's mostly the omega 3 fatty acids and potassium that made the difference.

Diet and exercise are important, too. Meat containing saturated fat (beef and pork) causes your arteries to have fat sticking to the sides of them, which narrows the space that blood has to flow through, which raises blood pressure. Exercise (particularly intense aerobic exercise like running, swimming,etc.) stretches arteries causing them to become more elastic, and thereby lowers blood pressure.

Getting a lot of sleep and avoiding stress lowers the amount of adrenaline in your bloodstream, which lowers blood pressure.

Your blood pressure naturally varies throughout a range in order to accomplish various things. One of them is temperature regulation. When the weather is cold, the blood vessels in your extremities constrict in order to conserve heat which raises blood pressure. When the weather is warm, they dilate in order to dissipate heat.

So when you evaluate a blood pressure reading to decide whether or not it's too high, you need to take into account things like temperature, stress, and how much sleep you've had.

There are things that you can do to make your life style more conducive to good health, and there's a good chance that they will lower your blood pressure to some extent. However, most people would rather take pills than change the way they live.

17. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    One side note to steeler's post. Guys taking certain BP medications should use caution before they run out and buy Potassium suppliments. Taking them with some meds is an absolute no-no.

18. steeler_999

steeler_999 Member

Very true. Anybody taking prescription drugs should always read the instructions regard interractions. I was replying to the original question regarding lowering blood pressure without drugs.

Another thing anybody with BP concerns should be aware of is that a number of the herbal aphrodisiac products being sold these days for sex enhancement purposes can cause a substantial increase in blood pressure. Among them are yohimbe and mucuna pruiens. Also, other herbal products like regular ginseng and Siberian ginseng. And vitex. And MAO inhibitors, both the prescription kind and herbal MAO inhibitors like St. John's Wort, when consumed along with foods containing tyramines, can cause BP to soar to dangerous levels.

It's a good idea for everybody to have a home blood pressure monitor, both to monitor your BP for general health purposes, and to be aware of any adverse reactions you might be having to medications or herbal products.

19. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Thanks for all the replies folks. His latest reading was 130/80 which is fine. He's eating great and following the advice. He's planning on talking to the Doc about getting off the tablets next month (not that they are giving any side effects at all :wink: ).

20. Onslow

Gold Member

Good going. By the by~~ have you and your gentlemen invested in a blood pressure monitor for home use? It's a good way to get the extra monitoring done for a while, a few checks per day--morning, mid-day, evening--may show if he has times which are worse (higher reading). Anywho--glad to hear he's doing better (must be your gentle caring which has helped).

Draft saved Draft deleted