Has anyone outgrown their highschool friends.

B_theaussieone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
All my highschool friends still talk to each other, but i feel i dont have anything in common with them. They bore me to tears with what they talk about. but i still feel like i should try and remain friends with them, just because its kinda what alot of them do? what you guys think?

mrrdnhng

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have had the same friends since grade school an high school and have since stopped talking to them because I moved so far away.

The only thing I miss since moving, is my friends, I'm not a very social able person so making new friends is always to difficult. So its just me the wife and our dog for me to talk to down here. Now I think I was the most mature so some of their shit bothered me but still I miss hanging out with those idiots.

D_Kitten_Kaboodle

Account Disabled
Media
We moved around so much when I was in school I never knew how to make long term friendships... I was very good at making acquaintances... and have always been "friendly"... is why I struggle so much with this "friend" concept here and on FB.

My husband is my best friend from high school days... and he's been with me through thick and thin. Most of the other guys and girls I knew in high school, I didn't have time to really build a relationship with. I exchange Christmas cards with a handful and that is about the extent of our relationship. FB has brought a few back around but it's not like ... oh what are you going to do this weekend, type thing.

In reality, I am pretty much a loner when it comes to sharing myself with 'friends' ... I love my husband and love spending time with him. My family is precious to me... but 'friends'? Nah... I really can't say that I have any really good friends from my high school days that I still see on a regular basis... We do have friends we hang around with and do things together, but not like one would think of best friends since high school days~

so that would be a ... I can kinda agree with the OP on his point~

mwb123

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
When I left Primary School I didn't stay in contact with many people. The few that I did was because they too joined the local secondary school. The trouble is, they all went off to be in the 'cool' crowd, I didn't. So I don't talk to them anymore. I then made new friends, who I hung around with until going to University. As soon as I left Secondary and went to uni, I stopped talking to them. And would you believe it... as soon as I left uni, I stopped talking to them too!

I have no problem making friends etc, I'm just too lazy to keep in contact with people for more than five seconds unless they live on my doorstep.

xmarksbreakdownx

Superior Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Funny story. When I first started school (Kindergarden.), I was a loner and it sucked. A lot. No one really liked me and I was alone most of the time. When I started middle school (6th grade) we moved to a new town and I decided to change, be more blunt with people. Apparently it worked.

From then on into high school, I was one of the "cool kids" so to speak. About halfway through, I got tried of it. I wassn't with all the stuff they were doing, the typical "cool rich kids" stuff. I'd say near the middle of the 10th grade, I was over it.

I was sitting in class and I saw this kid sitting alone, he looked sad. He had sat alone almost all year, and he didn't seem to have any friends. One day I got up and invited him to sit with me and my friends. (They already knew I wouldn't give 2 fucks what they thought.)

That same week, I did thing with someone else in that same class. Another new guy, who was sitting alone and had no one to talk to. Over time we became good friends, the latter being my best friend still today. They started introducing me to some of the people they met, and people who started talking to them because they were with me. (I guess they had became popular by association? Lol.) Over time, I started spending more and more time with them, and less time with the "popular" guys. We kind of started our own clique.

I have to say it was one of the better decissions I've made in my life. My "old" friends got into drugs or drinking or just being spoiled assholes crashing their parent's Lexuses and shit since high school. Meanwhile me and my friends are all still good friends today, and I graduated like 4 years ago. Sometimes we talk and we realize that we don't have that much in common with eachother, but whenever we get together we have a shit load of fun. I guess they've stuck around because I made them feel special, and they make me feel the same way.

You guys sound like you didn't make the right kind of friends in high school. Sorry for the life story, just felt like giving my 2 cents.

Reactions: nippy1

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I outgrew my HS friends when I was still in school with them. I worked and most of my coworkers were at the University and had more in common with them at the time.
I went to a HS reunion and found few fond memories except with a hand full of people I had played sports or shared other activities with.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry for the life story, just felt like giving my 2 cents.

Nothing to be sorry for, worth much more than 2 cents
Thanks, and the other posters make a good read also, very interesting ..

oh' i never got around to maintaining HS Friendships, shame

Last edited:

Thirdlegproduction

Formerly WhiteMonst3r
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I suppose I've always outgrown them and I stuck around since it made me feel superior.
I had a LOT of fun and laughs while being with them but I can not see their lifes improving much beyond this point.
College dropouts and/or unemployd or alcohol/gamble addictions and just no real ambitions in life besides settling down.

When I visit my friends house all he has is water and bread and basic furniture, it's depressing since he does have money but spends it all on clothes and juwelry.
The other spends all his money on videogames.

There's a saying here that goes like " You are who you surround yourself with" and even though we are able to have a lot fun, it is only temporary and I do not wish to become anything like them. If I do stick around I feel like they would drag me down with them.
I make new friends all the time, usually people approach me first so it's easier.

Yes and no - I'm in contact with virtually no-one from school, but still hang out with the ppl I grew up with from my neighbourhood, who were friends of the family too. :)

Pecker Check

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't think anyone can answer than for you. But we CAN say that there is nothing wrong with deciding that you've outgrown old friend if, indeed, you believe you have. I've been on the other end of that from time to time. It seems to be my nature to want to stay friends with people who have been pivotal in my life. Fact is, though, other really don't have to feel that way. Whether it's a matter of "outgrowing" someone or simply of having grown apart, each of us must make his own decisions.

buzzrider7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Friends will come and go (and sometimes reappear) in your life. My advice is to spend time with people who are going to enhance your life, challenge you, support you and love you, and for whom you do the same in return. Sometimes as we grow into new phases of who we are, old friends don't fit as well since we've grown in different directions. If you're not feeling it with these guys, and moreover, if you don't even enjoy spending time with them, then take a break and make some new friends that do stimulate you in a positive way.

Sounds like you're just growing up faster than they are. They may catch up at some point and you may go back to being friends then. Nothing wrong with politely stepping out of the picture for now.

All my highschool friends still talk to each other, but i feel i dont have anything in common with them. They bore me to tears with what they talk about. but i still feel like i should try and remain friends with them, just because its kinda what alot of them do? what you guys think?

1Cody

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I attended my Freshman and Soph. yr in a large city. I completed my Jr. and Sr. yr in a small country rural school. My best friend from the city is dead. My other friend is busy with his life and I did reconnect with him once several years ago. From the rural school, I don't talk to any of my classmates too much. When we do come across each other it is as though time has stood still. I was broke down on a gravel road and who comes along but one of my classmates from my Sr. yr. I was broke down some miles from town and a repair shop. Right then and there he took me to town and though it was late evening I went to the repair shop and coordinated the tow truck for the next day and the work. Then Sam took me all the way back to my house and dropped me off. We did a little small talk and didn't talk about any major life events. It had been 13 yrs since graduation. It felt like time had stood still. I kinda of get the exact same feeling with one girl that was in the same class as I was. All I can say is cherish and appreciate your friends. You have a shared history in life. One day you may feel like you want to talk to someone from your past. Not having those people to talk to or be a part of you can be rather sad. Countless friends and acquaintances that I have made since High School are gone now. I have only three friends nearby the I have been friends with more than 10 yrs. I got reconnected with one out of the want/need to connect with the past.

OscarM

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I haven't ... they're probably outgrowing me if anything.

I have a few friends from highschool that I regularly hang out with. Weirdly enough, I didn't really hang out with them much DURING high school --- our class schedules were different (we had different interests), and as a result didn't really 'click' outside of class during highschool.

I'm quite introverted and didn't make many friends during university either. Lecture halls were always full and crowds make me shy. Most people I've met/worked with came and went by.

LargeSide

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I think outgrowing them is a common thing. I still have a handful who I keep in contact with, but that number is shrinking still. Towards the end of my high school years, I slowly started to open up more (I was incredibly shy) and at that point I realized how excited I was to get out of my hometown. When I went to college, I found new people who had similar ambitions and goals in life. I think growing up in a small town, I felt obligated to befriend some of the people I did. As we grow older, we find new interests that a lot of people who aren't able to get out of their "glory days" never get to experience. I don't regret losing contact with any of these people, because I know that those friendships likely would hold me back in life.