Has anyone outgrown their highschool friends.

Boobalaa

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I graduated in 1973..almost 40 years ago..I moved out of state in 1978 and moved back in 1998. During those 20 years away..I would see my high school friends during the holidays. When I moved back..there were a couple guys who wanted to get together so I went along..all we did was go to a bar and drink!.and talk about stuff that happened 20 years before..I recall reminding myself these guys had been doing the same stuff at the same jobs..etc..since high school..It was kinda sad...Then last year..one of then came over my house and told me he retired..from the same job he'd been doing since high school..the look on his face was almost pitiful ..like.."what do I do now?"..So we hung out for the day and did what ever I was doing that day..with no talk about the past and the future..just about here and now..and "this is it!" ..life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone..At the end of the day we shook hands and that was that..

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
All my highschool friends still talk to each other, but i feel i dont have anything in common with them. They bore me to tears with what they talk about. but i still feel like i should try and remain friends with them, just because its kinda what alot of them do? what you guys think?

Can't outgrow what I never had :wink:

jb3

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes, really. Kept in touch for a long time, but a few years ago I removed myself. Still feels slightly odd since they're not physically far away and I hear about them from other people I am close to - but 'right', and very liberating. I've absolutely no wish to be 18 again!

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Has anyone outgrown their highschool friends.
I do talk and have talked with some of the people I have met in high school. But I don't want to be friends with them.

Not really nostalgic for high school days at all.

Big Del

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I assumed the "otgrown" related to cocks! In which case I was always bigger than all but one (possibly) I have no reason to suspect anyone would have caught up with me since!

As to friendshaips I still have two dear friends right back to infant school and a few since.

And a few who contact me via email and facebook ever since to rakl cock size etc!

simbablk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What I find interesting is that the people I was closest to during high school I have outgrown (or they've outgrown me) and the people I didn't associate that much with I am really keeping in touch with, hanging out with, going on trips with.... Funny how that happened.

Simba

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The people we go to highschool with are friends because we have location in common. We see the same people, attend the same events and participate in the same sports or hobbies. After high school is when we make our own lives - we choose where we live, what we do and what's important to us. It's natural that we drift away from the people we thought were important to us in high school.

I have two friends from way back then. And it's not like we've been in daily contact - we kind of drift in and out of each other's lives, depending on who lives where and who had kids and when etc. Now we seem to be at the same stage of life and just happen to live in the same city again, so we're kind of close again. One thing we three have in common is that we all had interesting lives. Others of the old bunch never left the old home town and those are the ones who are the most difficult to connect with. As far as the rest? Once a decade at reunions is plenty!

I outgrew them and my university friends. I found out that a get together has been planned for November by my old university friends, but I don't think I will be going. I just have no interest in reconnecting with them.

Autofellatio

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thus far, it's been five years since I left high school, and we're all still going strong :)

We've jokingly agreed to make an Asian branch of the American Pie gang here, so let's see how that holds up :D

Niiko8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I very quickly did so the minute I entered sixth form and again in College. I see/bump into old faces every now and again when I'm back in town but I make the conversations brief and move on. I've outgrown most of the guys I've gone to college with and now that I'm at uni it'll probably be the same since my thought processes are way too different to people my age and I prefer hanging out with the guys I work with who are 10+ years older than me.

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
With the exception of 2 people, I was over the people in my high school by the end of my freshman year. I went to 3 high schools, and by the time I graduated I was so over it I never wanted to talk to them again. One guy lived in my neighborhood and we hung out a lot during the summer. We catch up every few months. A girl I was really close to in high school fell of the face of the planet for 16 year, but we reconnected and talk every few weeks as well as visit a few times a year. Those are the only ones worth keeping in touch with.

redneckgymrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I "outgrew" my high school friends sometime around the 4th grade. Brain dead morons, almost every one.

Most of the people you meet in school are little more than a waste of space.

Having said that, though, there will be the occasional gem. Friend with a capital F, instead of acquaintance. Hold those friends dear.

tiger61

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
All my highschool friends still talk to each other, but i feel i dont have anything in common with them. They bore me to tears with what they talk about. but i still feel like i should try and remain friends with them, just because its kinda what alot of them do? what you guys think?

If you haven't yet outgrown them, then you probably soon will.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've told this story before, but I'll say it a differen way here: When I went to my 20th high school reunion, I took my life partner around to everyone, and I do mean everyone, including the guys who I thought (based on their behavior in high school) might freak out a bit.

Almost everyone was polite and civil, and many were even friendly, with one glaring exception: a Black woman whom I'd met in kindergarten--I'd found her to be funny and charming and interesting, and then she grew odder as the pressures of being her family's only breadwinner while she was still a high school student (and "fitting in" to conservative religious Black culture in my small town, where "what church do you go to" is the second question after "who's your momma and daddy") began to get to her. Finally, she "found Jesus" and gave up her rather good job as a keen, college-educated, well-read sportswriter with a gift for language in order to be a choir director who now writes somewhat vapid and poorly organized essays about religious topics for her church newsletter. It's a sad comedown, intellectually speaking.

She also has gained about 60-80 pounds and no longer has the high tight ass that once or twice made me rethink my percentages. And that's a sad physical comedown. I mean, hell, I'm 70 pounds heavier than I was in high school, but damn, I'm sexy! (Well, most days.)

She wore a cheap pastel-colored chenille lounge-pants-and-jacket set to the reunion--something that looked as though she'd stolen it from her mother's closet back in the late 1970s or early 1980s and then slept in it for about a decade or so--and didn't shake my man's hand. She was the only person who displayed any prejudice whatsoever, which was really strange for me, because she's one of only a tiny handful of high school classmates who'd ever been to my home, growing up (my family was embarrassingly dysfunctional and therefore we brothers were highly selective about who we invited to our home). My man and I talked about it afterward, and he said, "She seemed so sad and crazy, so I wasn't offended. In fact, I felt sorry for her." And that just about sums it up for me. I wish in some ways that she and I were still friends, because I've known her for so long, but the handwriting was on the wall when she "got religion" of a particularly homophobic kind.

Interestingly, most of the others were very welcoming toward my man--asking him about his accent, making him tell the story of how we met, inviting him to dance (well, the women), etc. And my male friends and acquaintances who were in the marching band, on the soccer team, and in my classes didn't sit and stare at the two of us, the wheels obviously turning in their heads as they imagined us having sex. Oh, and no one asked the stupid question, "Who's the man?" (I was prepared with a snappy answer to that one, let me tell you! :tongue:)

So for me, many of my high school friends and acquaintances grew up, as I (hope I) (like to think I) did. And now we relate to each other in different ways--and I now feel freer, and more confident, and more secure in knowing them and them knowing me (as I have my whole life) than I ever thought I'd feel. I'm even looking forward to my 25th high school reunion, scheduled for this October.

NCbear (who's sometimes a rather good imitation of a garrulous old geezer, apparently :rolleyes::smile:)

Last edited:

johnlucas-1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't buy into this whole "I've outgrown them" nonsense.
You don't outgrow friends.
You are either friends or you're not.

If you have the ability to outgrow a friend, then you were never his/her friend to begin with. There were other reasons why you 2 stayed connected that had nothing to do with friendship. They were really just friendly acquaintances that you called 'friends'.

Just because you see some financial success or relationship success doesn't mean your friend's value is any less if he doesn't have those things.
To take off on the theme song from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, the world can flip-turn upside down at any moment. Your finances can be gone overnight & so can your 'romantic' relationships. Believing yourself superior to your supposed friend on these icons of status shows that you're not the friend you think you are.

Even though your friend may be a 9 to 5 drone while you're jet-setting the country as the CEO of an enterprise, if he's/she's there to support you when nobody else will & you're there to support him/her when nobody else will, then & ONLY then can you consider yourselves friends.

Now there are times when you pick bad people to hang around. Or at the very least people who make bad choices. Sometimes you need to quarantine yourself to not get caught up in their bad behavior. But if you're a friend you don't give up on them & you keep giving them the options to help themselves. You give your support when they hit rock bottom.

I believe friends are for life. And when your years get long those friends can enhance your life even if they never left the town they were born in & worked the same job all of their life. Who says nomadically traveling the world is superior to having roots? There would be nothing to travel TO if it wasn't for those rooted people.

Two friends can grow different interests even if they work in the same job & live in the same town. Just because your interests expand doesn't make your friend expendable. Friendship is a LOT more stable than romantic relationships & if you find a true friend you better keep him/her.

I met a work buddy 17 years ago & we've been friends ever since. A lot of things I'm into he has no interest in & would go glossy-eyed if I ever tried to explain those interests. When we talk it's not about changing the world or ambitious pursuits, it's just simple fun relating. Basically shootin' the bull. Talking about nonsense & making corny jokes. I don't care if I become President of the United States I'm not giving that up.

This friend I talk nonsense with once helped me travel to & from work when I had no transportation. Did it at some strain to him since he actually lived further away & had a full-time job of his own. My job was about a 45 minute drive from my house & 1 hour 15 minute drive from his.

This friend had his dad arrange a car for me to drive & sold it to me for only $800. I can talk to him on just about anything & he doesn't nitpick & criticize every action. He shows solidarity & support & I give the same to him. If I ever DO get to the Big Time, the LEAST I can do is to reciprocate since he has always gone to bat for me.

Outgrow a friend? That's a foreign concept to me. You're friends with me? You're friends 4 Life.
John Lucas

xmarksbreakdownx

Superior Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I don't buy into this whole "I've outgrown them" nonsense.
You don't outgrow friends.
You are either friends or you're not.

Outgrow a friend? That's a foreign concept to me. You're friends with me? You're friends 4 Life.
John Lucas

You and me have seem to have the same outlook. I couldn't agree more.

Also, a lot of you guys sounds like you either didn't really have friends, or that you were too "stuck up" or something. Example.

I "outgrew" my high school friends sometime around the 4th grade. Brain dead morons, almost every one.

Most of the people you meet in school are little more than a waste of space.

I'm not saying you were "stuck up" or "thought you were better than everyone else", but surely you seem how it can come across that way?

Last edited:

keithcc

Experimental Member
Media
One or two of them I still stay in touch with. The rest, yes, I'd be amiable to them but we would have nothing in common any more.

My high school enemies are now people I simply ostracize in the event I run into them.

One of the teachers I had a hard time with came up to me once when I was in uniform at a convention. I had to play nice so I pretended I didn't recognize him. He remembered my name, which was on my name tag. He kept prodding me so I finally said, I'm sorry, but I don't remember anything from several years of my life due to an accident, and this happens occasionally, it's embarrassing but please don't be offended.

C______er called my chief pilot to ask him if I had revealed that I had been in an accident and had amnesia, because if I hadn't it could be a safety issue. He told the guy that the FAA Examiner awarded me a first class medical and beyond that couldn't discuss any such matter....but he asked me about it which is how I knew. I just told him the real story and he laughed so hard I thought he'd pass out. He sent me a bottle of Martell's for Christmas that year.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I think you guys are looking into too hard.

I wouldn't say I've "outgrown" my high school friends, but as you get older and your interests change, you find that you have less in common than you did before.

It doesn't mean you lost any love for them, but the reasons you had such chemistry before do not exist anymore. You're around them and have less to talk about. You can talk about the old times, but you don't live in them anymore. Then what more do you have?

I still hang with my high school friends from time to time, but I find that it is not my first choice to associate with anymore. Doesn't mean that we're not friends, but I have outgrown the things that maybe made us such good friends.

hrdhatdad

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I loved high school. I was a late bloomer and everything seemed to come together for me my jr and senior year. That said, I went away to college, joined a college fraternity and eventually moved out of state. I was from a very small town and came out to my folks my last semester in college. The only thing they asked was to "never be out" to anyone in their community. This seemed fair since they lived there and I had moved away to the big city (it was the early 80's). Therefore, I never reach out to anyone from hs and never looked back. 25 years later I attended the funeral of a sibling and saw several of my old friends. Although it was a somber event, I was overjoyed to see them. Sadly, they seemed somewhat indifferent to see me and I can't say that I blamed them. Even so, those guys shaped the beginning of my character and I will always be thankful for that.