has anyone see those "that's so gay" commercials?

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i kinda agree with the message, but they're doing it in the most retarded way. i just saw one with hilary duff. she's all "i don't go around saying 'oh, that's so girl wearing a skirt as a top'"

also, a lot of my gay friends say "that's so gay." i think it's kinda like "nigga." it's all how it's used. any word or phrase can be hurtful depending on how it's used, yah? even if that phrase is made up of words that are usually considered to be harmless

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think it all depends on who is saying it & what their intent is. People get way too hung up on the actual words. Gay people do indeed say thats so gay all the time. But sometimes straight people, especially men, use it in an insulting way. As though it means weak & inferior. I personally dont get bothered by it tbh but its definitely a put down. But it can be said in a way that just means camp & fun.....you like ABBA? thats soooo gay! So it depends on context too.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
But sometimes straight people, especially men, use it in an insulting way. As though it means weak & inferior.

but isn't a gay person calling something gay the same thing as if a straight guy said it? like, it's still being used as a way to state a negative opinion of something.

but you're right, it depends how it's used, which i said in my first post. i think people are too up in arms about words. this nation has become WAY too PC and sensitive.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Trust me, even in Gayworld some things are considered way too gay! We know what the cliches are about ourselves so when we use that term its a lighthearted form of self-mocking. I guess its similar to how black people mock each other about Black cliches.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i'm not too familiar with the gay world, so. but i honestly think that we, as a nation, have become way too PC and way too sensitive

Oh I agree that America is PC crazy - to the point where it stifles debate. Which then fuels frustration. Causing hatred & resentment. Not good.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh I agree that America is PC crazy - to the point where it stifles debate. Which then fuels frustration. Causing hatred & resentment. Not good.
If you think PC causes hatred and frustration you should have been there when I was a teenager. At least now if y'r thrown down a flight of stairs in school or locked in a locker maybe now someone will take you seriously. When all this crap ahppened t me back then they just brushed it away.
Bring on the PC but make it realistic and to the point.! There can never be enuf PC even if we are making fun of ourselves. It took MAAAAANY years to get to that point. At least now we can be tongue-in-cheek about it instead of the ways of the 70s where had to put ourselves down to be funny.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Political correctness asides it just sounds stupid and juvenile

i'm not saying it's not stupid. i'm just sayin that if people seriously take offense to it, they need to stop taking life so seriously. it's not like they're all "death to fags!" or something of that nature