Has anyone seen 'The Invention of Lying?'

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_hungprepjock, Oct 26, 2009.

1. B_hungprepjock

B_hungprepjock New Member

The Invention of Lying is Ricky Gervais' most recent film, still currently playing in some markets. It also stars Jennifer Garner, Jonah Hill, Fionnula Flanagan, Jeffrey Tambor and Rob Lowe. Gervais directed along with Matthew Robinson.

If you've seen it, what did you think of it?

Not sure whether in general films are accorded their own threads on LPSG, I momentarily thought I might pose my question in a pre-existing thread (roughly dealing with the same question from another point of view; i.e., the invention of religion), but I searched the site and didn't find another reference to the film, which I thought was brilliant in Gervais' typically understated way (e.g., Ghost Town), and I thought the ensemble cast was great, too.

I also don't want anyone to perceive me as a troll, however well the premise of the film might have fit in with the overheated, yet clearly warmed over, topic of the other thread.

BTW, neither Pizza Hut nor Domino's for me, thank you. I, too, prefer a local Italian restaurant's version of a Pizza Margaretha with a home-made, semolina/duram wheat-flour crust, fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella, but with the addition of fresh, chopped clams. Their clams in white sauce pizza is good, too, if you like lots of garlic.

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

The movie is actually pretty good. Definitely had a few worthy chuckles (especially at the beginning) even though it was a bit predictable. The movie does go at a slower pace because you have a person like Ricky Gervais playing the lead. That's probably the only reason why it's not getting massive attention for I'm sure if the movie was "Americanized" with the lead played by someone like Kevin James or another well known comedian that tends to go over the top, there would be a lot more talk about it.

3. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I do want to see the movie - less for Gervais (who I think is a great writer, but a mediocre actor - especially with other peoples work) but more for the supporting cast. Ghost Town failed to impress me but I will give this one a watch when it's out on DVD.

4. B_ytcorp

B_ytcorp New Member

it was a good movie, some of the humor was just too harsh... felt bad to laugh at some of the blunt jokes but thats what made it sincere. had a great comedic feel very unlike what has been the norm.

5. B_hungprepjock

B_hungprepjock New Member

The Invention of Lying perhaps starts out as just another romantic comedy (albeit one that takes place in an imaginary world where the concept of lying, even for politicians and ad-men, doesn't exist), and that inevitably leads to the 'harsh' comedy, noted above, wherein everyone has to tell the absolute truth about everything whenever they open their mouths. But this is a Ricky Gervais film, and that is all pretext on which to hang the film's main conceit that someone (an everyman who suddenly discovers one day the insidious power of lying) could have made up the concepts of both God and a Heavenly Hereafter, just to allay the fears of the unknown of someone he cared about who was dying.

Gervais is too subtle a filmmaker, and too sharp and conscientious an intellect, to hit people over the head with the thoughts, but the film's true subject matter are the big questions: 'What are the origins of religion?' and 'How do Truth and Lies affect our daily lives?'

I sincerely hope my revelations will not spoil (nor do I truthfully 'believe' they will) the film's otherwise quite scabrous humour and clever plot twists, however 'predictable,' for anyone who hasn't yet seen it. Obviously, I recommend the film highly.

Actually, I think, there are several members of LPSG, for whom the film should be made mandatory viewing, but it's OK by me if FlameBoy, or anyone else, wants to wait for the DVD (just watch the bit torrents, all right?).

6. B_Hamadim

B_Hamadim New Member

I prefer Pizza Hut than Dominos.

Did anyone try the "Mountain of Cheese" Pizza?

Draft saved Draft deleted