Has anyone stopped buying gas From BP?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Marius567, May 20, 2010.

1. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

do you still buy gas form BP?

2. boerkie

boerkie New Member

just asking?
    do we believe in the power of the people??
    pass the question on!!!
    maybe make a week of not buying gas from them?
    we the people!!

3. superbot

Gold Member

Why?...Better off taking it out on the useless US contractors who caused the problem!!

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Yeah, Iraqi Oil is so much more ethical.

5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I quit buying from BP and RD Shell years ago. They have one of the worst environmental records in the world.

6. Man4menu

Man4menu Member

Albums:
    What really bothers me is the spill it self It never should have happened. if we are short of oil, our gas price goes up! Now that this spill has happen the price of gas has Not Gone Up but the price of our sea food will, either way we have to pay a high price from our wallet not to mention that we the people would have to pay for most of the clean up.

If someone can tell me all the products BP owns so that I can BoyCott all there products.

7. superbot

Gold Member

That's bollocks!

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

The Exxon spill was Exxon's fault, but this is not BP's fault. I have no problem buying their gas. Most of their stations are probably privately owned.

9. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I agree! Let the people of the world boycott american products for causing a credit crunch! sheesh it was an accident for christ's sake.

10. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't really pay attention to where the gas comes from. I go to the only gas station in my little town and fill up. If I'm in the city I pick whichever one is near when the gaslight comes on. All we can do is hope they fix it soon and it doesn't impact the wildlife horribly from this unfortunate accident.

11. FBAnder

FBAnder Member

Albums:
    Never used their gas to begin with.

12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    BP: The Worst Safety and Environmental Record of All Oil Companies Operating in the United States

BP's criminal record

Bollocks?

Not BP's fault? Who's fault is it then? If you mean the sub-contractors, yes they are culpable, BUT they are responsible to BP. I use sub-contractors in my business too... and when they fuck up the client comes after me and rightly so. I am responsible for their work because I hired them and am suppose to control them.

Just because they paint their gas stations green and yellow and have a pretty sunburst logo, doesn't mean they give a shit about the environment.

They are also heavily into the tar sands project in Alberta. (4x the CO2 released than conventional drilling)

#12 vince, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  13. superbot

Gold Member

British Petroleum operates throughout the world,so why are you fixating on America? In the scheme of things their record is pretty good and considering they've been around for as long as they have their record is heaps better then many of their competitors.Once again,the blame lies squarely with the inept sub-contractors who have nothing to do with BP themselves.If you knew anything about the Petro Chemical industry and the persuit of oil then you would know it is one THE most hazzardous of industries and occurences like this will always happen...The message, I guess, is not to further employ rubbishy American contractors!

14. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

I would just look at what BP do in Nigeria to not want to buy their petrol. Then again i dont drive. 'Cos im the greeniest:tongue:

....i actually failed my test.:frown1:

But show me an ethical Oil company and i'll show you an idiot. You.

15. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    It seems like an accident, mainly by the sub contractors...but I don't think BP comes out of it looking great unfortunately. I'm embarrassed and a bit horrified by it really. :/

It also kinda looks like they should've known the safety shut-down thing was dodgy...

I've heard about the tar sands thing - in Canada? Apparently there's lots of oil to be had mixed in with the sands - but as you say, difficult to extract/refine it and heavy in C02 emissions. Not sure what options they have if oil finds are running out though? Especially since Russia ripped the contracts up that many western companies had for exploration over there.

#15 Joll, May 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010
  16. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

If they set off an explosive on their oil platform killing all those people then they are to blame. If you continue working in an unsafe environment when you know about it you are gambling with your life.

17. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, I'm sure it wasn't deliberate - but I'm a bit suspicious as to how much they knew about the likelihood of the safety shut-down valve failing?

18. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, I don’t shop or use BP products and service stations. Their subsidiaries (according to Wikipedia) include A.M.P.M., a convenience store chain at ARCO gas stations, BP Travel Centres (which house other retailers), BP Connect service stations, BP Express (a bakery service), BP Shop (convenience stores), BP 2 go, and Castrol Motor Oil (which is the only product of theirs I used - note past tense).

Yes, accidents happen, but many are avoidable when proper safety procedures and safety checks are maintained. The company’s record indicates a major f-up long in the making.

Now they're realizing the spill rate is MUCH greater than anyone dared admit to before and the company tried to hide it by barring the news media from video access.

F**k BP.

19. alx

alx
    Gold Member

Dont mean to hijack the thread, one quick Q; What the price of gas in the USA at the moment?

20. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Draft saved Draft deleted