Has life ever given you a second chance?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Have you ever failed at something, a chance you thought would only come once in your life, be it a relationship, aspiration, missed opportunity or job, only to be given another shot at it?

What was it? How did it turn out the second time? And are you grateful for the outcome?

Last edited:

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

ell, I have not failed at anything, but I was among about 30 people layed off during a company financial crisis brought about by a deep recession and some bad company investments and management. The company chose to lay off those who were making the highest salary and with the most perks (who had older union contracts).
They thought that after a few weeks of training, the work could
be done by anyone for a lower salary (almost half).

After two weeks of job searches, I was contacted by my old company and asked to come in for a meeting with the president. It seems that some of the positions could not be filled as easily as was earlier thought. Training can not provide experience and
knowledge in a few weeks. The company was in a bad place and begged some of us to return immediatedly with a 30% raise in salary...plus additional perks.

I learned from this to truly believe that I was a very valuable commodity and to not doubt my worth. A few months later, I was contacted by two other, much bigger companies, who had thought I was still unemployeed. I was offered a job with a bigger title and better salary by both. I decided I did not trust the old company any longer, and so I took the leap of faith and accepted one of the other positions. It was the best move I ever made. The old company went out of business within the year.

So, YES, I am very grateful that I was layed off...for it made it possible for me to discover my true worth.

Last edited:

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yes, all the time. Eventually I am going to 'get it'. And yes I am grateful for 'do-overs'.

It takes the ability to perceive the pattern underlying the flow of events.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Life will always be filled with setbacks. The truth is: we never really fail if we learn something from the experience. I once got to a point in my life where it seemed that I lost everything...my profession, my home, my money, my possessions, my family and my self-worth. It was not true. When I finally realized that you only fail when you refuse to stand up again, my journey began anew. We never really know how our lives will end, but we always have the power to see the beauty and value in the simplest things. If we remember this, every day is a success.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Have you ever failed at something, a chance you thought would only come once in your life, be it a relationship, aspiration, missed opportunity or job, only to be given another shot at it?

What was it? How did it turn out the second time? And are you grateful for the outcome?
Second, third,fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh......many extra chances.

Yep. Probably more than I realise.

One particular instance was when my Grandad was dying - I desperately wanted the chance to spend an evening with him and watch some telly while I still could.

Anyway - I managed to watch a film with him the evening before he was taken into hospital, after which he made a full and totally unexpected recovery, enabling us to watch a film together once a week for the next 5 years. :eek:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
yep.

i don't always have the grace to recognize/embrace second chances.
third chances do roll around, most times with a boot in the ass touch of a lesson hard learned.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Last August I was watching TV in the evening with my wife and started to have what I thought was severe indigestion. It was a vertical pain right behind my sternum and I was burping up the taste of my dinner.

But it got painful enough that I started to doubt that indigestion could explain it all, so I had my wife drive me to the local ER. I walked in to the ER while my wife was parking the car, because I had no other symptoms.

The ER was crowded, but when you present with chest pains they whisk you right back into a place and put an EKG on you asap. I was still talking about indigestion when the doctor on duty came back with the EKG output and said that I was having a STEMI heart attack. It was a kind that has an unmistakable signature on the EKG. The portion after the ST spike is elevated so it gets its name as an ST Elevated MI.

They had faxed the EKG to the Cleveland Clinic which is just 30 miles north who responded with a strong recommendation that I get up to the clinic asap.

The lifeflight chopper was out back of the small hospital I was in and it was still warm from just landing a few minutes ago. So in no time I was in the air and then landing at Cleveland Clinic where I ended up having a 4x bypass.

My second chance is more than just surviving, but having gotten to the local ER and diagnosed fast enough, they mitigated almost all the heart damage by proper treatment even before I was in the air.

Then considering that Cleveland Clinic is #1 in the world for cardiac care, my recovery was fast. I was home in a week and starting my walking regimen with short walks. I was pronounced by my cardio guy as "complete recovery" and I work out at the gym pretty intensely these days and feel really great.

Although there was a lot of skill involved in my care, I still feel that enough good things lined up prior to that operation that allowed me to recover so well. Skill and luck gave me a second chance. (And the grace of God which is evident in both of those things).

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Although there was a lot of skill involved in my care, I still feel that enough good things lined up prior to that operation that allowed me to recover so well. Skill and luck gave me a second chance. (And the grace of God which is evident in both of those things).

Glad all turned out well and that you're still with us, healthy and alive, JA.:smile:

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have been given so many second changes I feel like somebody's trying to tell me something. I've always had a goal to own my own business and its taken me so long to find the right model. I'm just fortunate to have a good support network that allowed me to try until I got it right.

Even my husband was the best do-over I ever got to do! I gave up on a partner a few years before since I apparently don't date well. I'm just not good at picking out people or I trust them too much.

I said I'm never falling for anybody ever again, and then boom. Cap. If ever I feel like two people were meant for each other it was us.

Yes, I've been given many chances to back up and try again. And I am eternally grateful for each and every one.

Mumzi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I came from a disfunctional, old money family from main line/ Phila. We had help, of course. Didn't everyone ;(
It was like breathing and most people were not up to family standards. My dad seemed to go along with my mom. I think he was a little afraid of her. She had plans for my sister and I.
That included dating and I'm sure, one day marriage to someone she felt worthwhile.
The drinking,bickering and fighting made growing up there challenging .

I'd always loved animals and I'd find them everywhere. Then tend to them and mother them. Even a small snake. I'd thought about becoming a nurse. Didn't bring it up until I was a teen and my mother freaked. Being a nurse was lower than a maid. A maid touched clean dirt. Nurses touched people. Body fluids and were, in her opinion maids for sick people.
My aunt who was my moms younger sister, maybe sanest member of the family, was the one to pay for college and support me emotionally. My mom rarely spoke to me for those years because I betrayed her.
Later I met my husband and he and my dad got on well. My mother only accepted him after hearing he was a Psychiatrist. Because Psychiatrists didn't have to touch or examine people.

Years later when our daughters were in school it was my husband who encouraged me to go back to school to become a midwife.
To this day I wonder how I came out of that family somewhat sane. I suppose it was because not 'everyone' was like my mother.
If not for my aunt, my path may have been much different. I'd like to think that no matter what and no matter how much time it took, one day I would have made my way myself.
But if she had not gotten involved, I would not have graduated the year I did, and would not have been working the night I met my hubby. So she had a hand in much more than my education.
I am honored to know her.