Has Obama shot his wad? Clinton rebounds...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by VeeP, Mar 5, 2008.

1. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Super Tuesday II: She's Baaaaaaaaack!! :eek:

Yes folks, tonight Hillary has won RI; she's on track to take OH by double digits and the TX primary by a slim margin. Obama won VT and currently leads in the TX caucus.

Clinton has won all the 'big' states while the raw numbers favor Obama.

Are the Dems headed for a contested nomination?
    Will the super delegates decide it?
    What about the 'unseated' delegates in Michigan and Florida?
    Will one of them be forced to play 'second fiddle' to the other for the good of the party? Obama/Clinton or Clinton/Obama?

Oh, what a dee-licious primary... :biggrin1:

2. D_Tintagel_Demondong

The novelty of Obama is wearing off. I have never posted about the primaries before, but I can't resist this one. I am sick of Obama's glib arrogance. Why is he so arrogant? Because his only political experience is being a senator for a few years?

Don't get me wrong... I think that Hillary is a contrived, fake liar, but I like her platform and I hope that the Americans put her to task if she's elected.

3. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

How would Americans put her to task exactly?

If you expect us to do that this might be the most unqualified pro-American thing I've ever seen you say. Turning over a new leaf? You're giving us far too much credit if you think we're that motivated. Bush would have been impeached 3 years ago if we weren't so busy watching American Idol

4. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah I agree the novelty has worn off a bit. I think a lot of people like Obama over her because he comes across as "cooler", or at least that is what a lot of my peoples tell me when I question them, but I don't really care how cool the president is, I want someone who is ready for the job (or has Bill with her). Obama is a smooth cat though, and he's got a nice jump shot. He seems like my kind of dude, I have no idea why I haven't fallen head over heals for him.

5. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

still liking Obama personally.

if Hillary beats him... I still think McCain will win.

6. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Really? I have this feeling that no matter what he has no chance. His own party won't even vouch for him, and that isn't even taking into consideration how fucked up this country has become under the watch of the republican party. And the number of voters coming out are record breaking, hell dems even have more votes in the republican primaries. I think their time is over.

The dems won the popular vote 8 years ago and john kerry was a clown 4 years ago. What if they were on the same ticket, do you still think mccain would win?

7. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yo dog, it was a good episode tonight and I watched the primary results come in... LOL :tongue:

Ehh, if you watch closely he starts to wobble BIG TIME whenever he's knocked askew. I think The Machine finally figured out how to get under his skin. Ring Ring.. :biggrin1:

8. Hellboy0

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with Skull Mason totally. The only argument that has swayed me regarding who to choose (because my first choice has been Hilary) is that the country is ready for a philosophical shift in how our government is run (BTW, I am a dual citizen...that' why I say 'our'). It has had 8 years of cynical, corporate politics that have led to America being despised in most parts of the world. It's possible that Obama's more 'naive' approach, one already compared to Kennedy's passionate approach, might be the catalyst to swinging us back on track. But Hilary is still a bit too much like what we're getting rid of.

Again, I still would like Hilary in office. I feel America needs a tough but more socially conscious President and she seems to fit the ticket. As to whether the two of them can get along on the ticket...that's to be seen (I kinda expected it anyway).

9. D_Tintagel_Demondong

When Bush Senior repeatedly said that he wouldn't raise taxes, then of course did, the American public was furious. There were counless media soundbytes of "read my lips."

Hillary has made some bold promises regarding health care reform and the Iraq pull-out. I hope that Americans hold her to that and don't let her backpedal like they let G. Bush. I am excited about the changes that Billary has promised. Unlike Obama, Hillary has offered structured solutions, rather than ideological apriorisms. This was a dangerous step for her because she might be held accountable for every step of the plan.

10. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    For anyone who's bothered to look closely at their stances on issues, it comes as no surprise that there are few differences of any significance. They are both DEM, after all.

What the choice comes down to is judgement and vision. Yes, Obama is a passionate speaker and tends to motivate folks...but it isn't just the words, it's the message they carry and the palpable sincerity of the voice that delivers them. Whether or not you believe him to be sincere, his vision of hope makes you want to believe him to be so. In many ways, it's never so apparent as in his natural and consistent manner of addressing folks in the plural.

On the other hand, we have a muckraking, duplicitous, self-aggrandizing, disingenuous cunt who will pander to any audience and stoop to any level if she believes it will serve her purposes.

Most policy issues being the same, there's no question who I'd prefer to reside on Pennsylvania Avenue.

EDIT:

Yeah...and I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you, too.

IMO, it's way too early to even think about calling Texas...probably OH, too.

11. D_Tintagel_Demondong

So you think that Americans are more sexist than racist huh.

12. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    I nominate Hellboy0... we need a prez with tats and a cock ring. :firedevil:

13. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I guess Ike's didn't count

Their platforms do seem similar, but Clinton has laid-out, concrete plans. Obama just has words.

14. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    I won't count the Clintons out until they have X's for eyes.

Already done by all major outlets. Face it, she won the popular vote.

15. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not for me.

Hellboy0 '08

16. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I think McCain is strong and growing stronger. The Republicans, as much as they hemmed and hawed earlier, will get in line to vote. At least most of them will. They're good at that. We might get a few evangelical conscientious objectors but after tonight, with the Rep nomination locked up, expect to see the attack dogs out in force going against both Hillary and Obama. But they know that Hillary is a more beatable opponent. That's why Limbaugh is telling his listeners to register and vote for Hillary.

I never have believed and still don't believe that Hillary is electable. HazelGod summed it up well and I've listed in even more detail in other threads why. You mention McCain being disliked within his own party, well guess what so is Hillary. But while McCain is frequently well-liked by centrists and even many across the aisle, Clinton is widely loathed and despised. My personal feelings are supported by all the recent polls that, on average, show McCain losing to Obama but winning over Hillary. She is too polarizing and simply does not have the charisma that Obama has, hype or no.

The reason that Dems are out at the polls in record numbers for these primaries is because their primary is still contentious. The Republican primaries are over at this point. There's no reason to vote anymore.

A couple points.

Yeah, Americans and the media were furious about Bush Sr. raising taxes. But... 1. we hate paying taxes. That's something we can really sink our teeth into and get outraged about. Having healthcare? That's more vague. Many Americans have more than adequate health care already. This promise, if undelivered, only really affects the disenfranchised. and that group is, by definition, not listened to. Also, there are no sound bytes or slogans pertaining to concrete goals about healthcare that they could play like that. Hillary hasn't campaigned on "Healthcare every day! For everyone by next May!" If she phrased her plan in the form of a jingle it would stick more.
    But even then... there's no guarantees. Bush ran on "being a uniter not a divider"... promise kept? that's a big NO. Does anyone care? can't say that they do. Not enough to make a fuss about it anyway.

Finally, as mad as we were about paying more taxes... did we still pay them? 'fraid so.

I think that this has nothing at all to do with it except by the tiniest of percentages. I think Obama is the stronger and more electable candidate than McCain, and that McCain is the stronger, more electable candidate than Hillary.

17. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

She was losing pretty bad earlier in the evening. She had a significant rally toward the end. Still... the race in Texas was really close, and in all these states it is not winner take all. Even though she "won" in these States, she may only end up with barely more than half the delegates. Obama's still going to come out on top. But it will be even closer than it was before.

18. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Then stop! There is no American federal law which demands that you pay Federal Income Tax.

19. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I'll tell the auditor you said so.

20. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

I think it is becoming increasing clear that the Dem nomination will be resolved by the superdelegates. I just don't see how either Clinton or Obama can secure the nomination on pledged delegates alone. He still leads her by 120 or so delegates (per CNN projections) for the nomination. The fight for the Clinton camp will now be to get the Florida and Michigan delegates seated. Obama will have to work on getting more superdelegates to pledge to support him.

BTW, I agree with the assesment that Obamamania is ever so slightly on the wane...

Draft saved Draft deleted