Has Obama sold out?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
This thread is aimed at Liberals.

I was delighted to see the end of Bush style republicanism and Obama rode the wave of idealism. But, he has sold out to the Geithner/Paulson/Bernanke Banksters of Wall Street IMO and aged twenty years in the process.

Is this the end of any possibility for social justice? Should we bow to the Banksters? Is it just about the economy, D'uh? and the economy is in the hands of Wall Street and beyond the democratic process?

Could Obama have done anything else and will you vote for him again on the basis of cynicism being better than the alternative?

someone1

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i'm neither liberal not american but Obama must be such a dissappiontment to democrats; didn't even keep his promise to close Guantanemo

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To me it is inherent in the form of capitalism that exists in the USA that there can never be a truly honest form of representation given the two party system. Both political parties are beholding to huge corporations and are able to some degree to hide it. When the Supreme Court recognized corporations as legal persons a few years ago, that was the end of democracy.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My father said something to me a long time ago that I've never forgotten... "Freedom is never free!" As far as who I will vote for remains to be seen, since I've become a US citizen and able to vote I've rarely voted my party; I typically vote for the least dangerous person.

Last edited:

Big_Red

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Absolutely right. Here's one from Thomas Jefferson along the same lines:

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ...
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

Of course, if you even think of doing any of these things today, you're a terrorist. :wink:

"Freedom is never free."

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
He actually managed a little health care reform. If he vetoes this latest constitutional undermining effort, there's some hope.

The National Defense Authorization Act is the Greatest Threat to Civil Liberties Americans Face - Forbes

"
This is what I mean: Give me Rand Paul... any day of the week over the Levins and McCains of the Senate. We need more elected officials with the sensibility of Ron Wyden on the left, or Rand Paul on the right. Right and left are such shoddy, ad hoc descriptors these days anyways.
What’s truly at stake when we start talking about Big Government and such is far more dangerous and preposterous than high marginal tax rates.
We’re talking about the stripping away of our most basic freedoms. We’re talking about a potential state that can call me a terrorist for writing this blog post and then lock me up and throw away the key. "

Last edited:

Big_Red

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What’s truly at stake when we start talking about Big Government and such is far more dangerous and preposterous than high marginal tax rates.
We’re talking about the stripping away of our most basic freedoms.

They're one and the same, unfortunately. Give government power to tax and you give them the power to destroy. And to issue unlimited amounts of debt on the backs of the people, with no accountability. The chipping away of civil liberties and the rest of everyone's basic freedoms will always naturally follow in the wake of this kind of corrupt system.

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I will vote for Obama. No question.

Yes, the Democrats blew it big time between 09 and 10. It was a huge mistake to try to win support from the right. If anything, the conservatives have shown that they believe it is their way or the highway and THAT is NOT America. They would bring the country down just to sway voters away from supporting Obama.

No one is perfect and Obama is a much better choice than any from the dog and pony show of late

Last edited:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
It never ceases to amaze me how what was once considered "adapting to a changing situation" or "adjusting one's viewpoint as a situation evolves" is now considered "selling out", or "flip-flopping/waffling".

Hate the game, indeed.

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
obamas problem is that america voted in 2008 for a messias and not for a human... And now everyone is disapointed that he isnt gods son.

AmiralMauth

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had hoped that Obama's supporters would have forced him to end our increasingly stupid wars pronto, as well as the war on civil liberties so eagerly waged by his predecessor.

Unfortunately, he has dragged his feet on ending OEF and OIF, dragged us into another war, humiliated the US on the global stage by being probably the only nation apart from Israel to oppose Palestinian statehood, and he has also signed the FISA and supported the "Patriot" Act.

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It never ceases to amaze me how what was once considered "adapting to a changing situation" or "adjusting one's viewpoint as a situation evolves" is now considered "selling out", or "flip-flopping/waffling".

Hate the game, indeed.

How many times did the President say, "This isn't going to be easy and it's gonna take time!" I don't think anyone heard him. I would rather have Obama at the tiller of the ship of State than ANY of the Republicans currently wanting the job. Americans should be outraged that the opposing party doesn't really CARE or seem to care about the enormous problems we're facing. I believed it in 2008 -- nothing is changed since 2012 --- the Republican Party is MUCH MORE competent at criticizing than they are at actually governing! And given what's happened in State after State that elected Republican Governors in 2010 ---- I am ALWAYS suspicious of the Republican rhetoric.........which seems to have a hidden agenda behind it! How many elections will it take before we finally wise up?

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My father said something to me a long time ago that I've never forgotten... "Freedom is never free!" As far as who I will vote for remains to be seen, since I've become a US citizen and able to vote I've rarely voted my party; I typically vote for the least dangerous person.

Ain't that sad that we have to vote for the lesser of two evils, on either side?

D

deleted15807

Time to say it again...

http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

Has he been the president of my dreams? No. Is it possible to be that? No. Coming into office with a blank slate it's easy to project all kinds of fantsies onto that person. It's like reading a book vs seeing a movie. The movie is always a disappointment. One reason is with a novel your mind can fill in all kinds of details that just aren't there in the real world.

As far as 'selling out to Wall Street' America did that years ago. Other countries are now following suit.

I can only shudder to think what a McCain/Palin administration would look like. Just as I shudder to imagine a Romney or Gingrich administration would look like. More supply-side economic failures shoved down our throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBestYouCan

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We meet again, Sargon!

Good thing I'm around to balance out your rampant article bombs ;)

Time to say it again...

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises

That's 31% of what he set out to do.

And you point to America selling out to Wall Street years ago as some sort of justification for Obama? Is that supposed to be a legitimate point that we are supposed to be O.K. with? I guess you could try to make that point if you have never criticized any other President for doing similar things but I doubt that's the case.

Speaking of things shoved down our throats... Approval Rating | CentristNet Remember that health care overhaul?

I'll say it again, you have corruption, ineptness, and corporatism on both sides of the aisle. To point out one is simply ignoring the entire picture. One is NOT better than the other. Reps and Dems are too entrenched, as a whole, in the political methods and policies of the past 20 years or more and America is becoming more and more a corporate conglomerate controlled by big business money and special interest groups.

So cry calamity as your party loses power and the other gains it and further damages the people, and shout rapture as your party gains power and the other party loses it and damages the people further. In the end, We The People still lose.