Has Political Correctness gone too far?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Gisella said:
Thank you Mme Zora.

I'm sooo ever greatful for this oppotunity in being here for many motives But mostly bcause you guys are great and giving oportunity to people express their opinions! I love this in US and the way you have learn in the culture to listen nice to each others views and oppinions...

I think in my own culture the majority dont know how to really respect others oppinions in civilized manner in most boards...but I do love to exchange and when people accept me to participate I just do it..talking BS or nonsense or maybe not even getting you guys are trully talking about..I do participate and express my voice too.

Nice!:smile: Thank You people!

Gisella, I think most of us who visit other boards appreciate the unspoken rules here in the Etc threads of lpsg. Who would have thought you'd find this level of conversation on a sex site? :tongue:

I think in American culture most people also don't know how to respect each other's opinions either, perhaps we are not so different. I think that's what we're talking about a lot of the time. If "my side" gets our way, EVERYONE gets to live how they choose. If "their side" gets their way, then everyone will have to conform to one standard, and individuality gets stunted, or lost.

Those of us who are so energised by freedom of expression are mourning in advance for something we love. It would be a lot to give up after having it, wouldn't it?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
No, and it's sexy as hell!!

WOOF!!

DC DEEP--NO. I REFUSE to use that language. You CAN'T MAKE ME.
Lex, next time I see you, I'll teach you politically-correct ASL for "woof," "handsome," and "wanna fuck?"

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_Deep said:
Ah, now we're getting there. But Lex, I'm afraid I must still insist that you refer to me as a Pangaean-American, so if we fool around and you like it, you'll have to rephrase that as "I like circumcisionally-challenged Pangaean-American Meat." Hey, this is fun, I can re-write our entire language into politically-correct newspeak.

<pulls out a fresh, chromatically-neutral sheet of gently-pre-serviced paper and begins to figure out how to use as many hyphens as possible in replacing all connotationally-laden words and phrases with multi-background-acceptable pablum>

You do know I had an orgasm, right?

DC_DEEP said:
Sorry, John, that project is in the back burner for now. I'm still having trouble typing, I'm laughing so hard.

While we're talking politically incorrect, Madame Zora, I know the term has been around for a while, but you are the first person I know who used "fucktard". The hilarious part, to me anyways, is that when I first saw it on this board, what came to mind was not "fucking retard," but "fucking leotard" as in a stretchy open-crotch Lycra garment worn during kinky sex, as in

Alright, you cunt-breathing dragon, put on your fucktard and get in the sling, I'm gonna bang your brains out!

Oh, that's hysterical, I'm NEVER going to get that picture out of my mind!

I got "fucktard" from jonb, along with "yanno".

lordduzi

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK, I will defend Political correctness. At least how I define it. Political correctness is using language that doesn't belittle the person or persons being refered too. It also means we need to be careful of what or where the term or phrase comes from. A great deal of this is based on the time and culture the phrase or term comes from. A few examples of non-PC language. Dave welshed on a bet. (Everyone knew that Welsh were cnot honorable). Tammy jewed him out of the hat. (Everyone knew that Jews took unfair advantage of others) That is so gay! (Of course being gay is bad.) We should and need to be careful on how language continues stereotypes of people and how hurtful those stereotypes can be.

I agree that is very confusing to use the "correct" phrase when talking about someone, is she black, negro, Afro-Armerican,or a person of color?

This is where PC begins to get a bad reputation. I think most will agree that nigger or darkie is not acceptable to describe this lady. But is using the term black or negro in the same league? Just exactly how far does a person go to prevent offense?

Of course there on ridiculous examples out there, my latest favorite is a sports team (I think in Pennsylvania) decided to call themselves the Silverbacks, after the mature male gorillas who intimidate their foes with strength and courage. Groups complained about the term being racist because blacks/negros/people of color were at one time refered to as apes or monkeys. So therefore talking about people as silverbacks is belittling those of African descent. Not that the term silverback was EVER used to refer to blacks.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Gisella said:
Thank you Mme Zora.

I'm sooo ever greatful for this oppotunity in being here for many motives But mostly bcause you guys are great and giving oportunity to people express their opinions! I love this in US and the way you have learn in the culture to listen nice to each others views and oppinions...

I think in my own culture the majority dont know how to really respect others oppinions in civilized manner in most boards...but I do love to exchange and when people accept me to participate I just do it..talking BS or nonsense or maybe not even getting you guys are trully talking about..I do participate and express my voice too.

Nice!:smile: Thank You people!

Gisella I have to second what MZ said. I too speak and write Spanish but I would not have the confidence to do so on a board such as this.

Your views are very practical and down to earth. You express them really well and I am pleased that you have contributed to this thread.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
madame_zora said:
Oh, that's hysterical, I'm NEVER going to get that picture out of my mind!

I got "fucktard" from jonb, along with "yanno".
I guess one of the costumes you design in the future will be called a fucktard, right?

Ohh, baby, let's get nasty, should I wear the black fucktard or the red one?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
Where were you when the deaf bear-daddy was trying to pick me up in the Green Lantern?!?
Honestly? Sitting at home doing nothing, since you didn't have my phone number at that time, and I didn't know you were in town.

You remember when we met at The Hippo? I don't know if you noticed the two HOT men that Tawse and I were talking to just before you got my attention... but they are both deaf (and one from near my hometown!!!) The woman who did the sign interpretation at that contest, that day, is also a friend, and has been to visit. I know lots of deaf guys. And talk about PC taking on a whole new meaning... just by the nature of deafness, "deaf culture" has a lot of differences from us hearing folks. More on that later.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
madame_zora said:
Gisella, I think most of us who visit other boards appreciate the unspoken rules here in the Etc threads of lpsg. Who would have thought you'd find this level of conversation on a sex site? :tongue:

I think in American culture most people also don't know how to respect each other's opinions either, perhaps we are not so different. I think that's what we're talking about a lot of the time. If "my side" gets our way, EVERYONE gets to live how they choose. If "their side" gets their way, then everyone will have to conform to one standard, and individuality gets stunted, or lost.

Those of us who are so energised by freedom of expression are mourning in advance for something we love. It would be a lot to give up after having it, wouldn't it?

Yes! Is trully a surprise a sex site have excelent level of conversations!

Yes, many do not respect oppinions and we may are not so different at all..

Yes..energesed by freedom of expression!!!

But I still feel you even when fight and desagree and get mad..more fruitful things get done than my culture. USA did not born great potency and very rich it grew to what is now...we both were colonies...there is effeciency in here, better quality of life and etc...because of the people and the people that became liders who cared for the people when the nation was maturing and etc..for sure there is something trully beautiful and unique about the USA and its people.

I dont know how to touch what i just feel and dont know identify...:rolleyes:

In my culture seems that those in power do not care and the ones who do not take from the people dont get things done, seems they talk to much and acomplish very little...is a mess in many ways..but still the Brasilian people are a happy, sexy, party one...and even with all crises going on they find amazing find great solutions for many problems others did not find yet, like the ethanol/alchool to be used instead of gasoline...

Every nation have their beauty and uglyness for sure.

PS: Thank you Lex, very much!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just to expound a little on some previous posts, on topic, part of the problem is that some self-proclaimed, super-sensitive ultra-"liberal" types sit around thinking about any perceived offense that any given group may possibly take to any particular word or phrase, then try to come up with an inoffensive euphemism, often with awkward and ridiculous results. (as in "handicapped" became "disabled" became "differently-abled" became "challenged", then you are right back at square one.)

How about someone come up with a politically-correct term I could use to describe the man with whom I live?

Husband? We aren't married.

Lover? We are in love, but that has a tawdry connotation not to mention it doesn't really encompass the entirety of our relationship.

Other/better half? sounds too much like a man joking about his wife.

Partner? Sounds too business-like.

House-mate? Sounds like we are in graduate school.

Any suggestions?

Lifemate? Soulmate? Sounds too new-agey.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
The one I get most often DC is "life partner" and it's annoying.

He's my not my husband either.

He's not my significant other. He's my boyfriend.

freind? Yup!

boy?? Oh yeah :cool:
Eww, Stronzo, thanks for bringing that one up, I knew I forgot one. I really hate that one, for so many reasons: sounds too "high-school hetero", he's a man, and he is SO much more than just a friend.

Expando1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes and no. Some people are so culturally ignorant they don't even realize when their actions and speech are inappropriate. Others are so passive that they take political correctness to nauseating degrees. The former out number the later so, yes, it's needed.

Let the pendulum swing my friend; it will come to a balance.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC_DEEP said:
Eww, Stronzo, thanks for bringing that one up, I knew I forgot one. I really hate that one, for so many reasons: sounds too "high-school hetero", he's a man, and he is SO much more than just a friend.

Then I'm at a loss DC.

Works for us.

Generally I simply say to those he's first meeting "hello, I'd like you to meet _______". That works just fine.

For those who rely on terminology let them assign as they will.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm a fag. I'm a pillow biter. I'm a shirt-lifter. I'm a flamer. A homo. A queer. I got no problem with that, just so long as you send me my faggy tax refund check that counts my non-working spouse as a dependent. Make it out in pink and tie a ribbon around it, for all I care.

I'm fat. I'm tubby. I'm a porker. I'm an obeast. I'm a pig. Cover me with health insurance, and you can address the checks to Mr. Lardass and tell the neighbors. And send bacon along with it.

I'm a middle-aged middle manager for a big company. I'm old hat. I'm past it. I'm Part Of The Problem. I'm a corporate weasel. I'm a skunk. I'm a suit. I'm white-bread and corn-fed. Don't fire me when I hit forty, and you can call me a boring old fart, chisel it on my office door, and play Glenn Miller.

Has PC language really helped fix those problems? Maybe, in a small way. But not in a big way. There are more important discrimination battles to fight.

Language is subtle in its discrimination. Good. Let the subtle stuff wait till we've fixed the obvious.

The talk about PC language has distracted us from the real battles. Many people think they're truly PC just because they use the nice word du jour. But they still discriminate in ways both subtle and overt.

Don't change the symbols and leave the substance.

HB8

P.S. I'm bald, too. But that's sexy.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
DC_DEEP said:
Just to expound a little on some previous posts, on topic, part of the problem is that some self-proclaimed, super-sensitive ultra-"liberal" types sit around thinking about any perceived offense that any given group may possibly take to any particular word or phrase, then try to come up with an inoffensive euphemism, often with awkward and ridiculous results. (as in "handicapped" became "disabled" became "differently-abled" became "challenged", then you are right back at square one.)

How about someone come up with a politically-correct term I could use to describe the man with whom I live?

Husband? We aren't married.

Lover? We are in love, but that has a tawdry connotation not to mention it doesn't really encompass the entirety of our relationship.

Other/better half? sounds too much like a man joking about his wife.

Partner? Sounds too business-like.

House-mate? Sounds like we are in graduate school.

Any suggestions?

Lifemate? Soulmate? Sounds too new-agey.
This probably sounds too old school and barbaric ( I gotta stay true to form lol ) and I suppose possessive for modern sensitivities but I would have no problem being introduced as, "This is my man, Shelby." and/or conversely my saying, "This is my woman, Lauryn."

Seems it could work regardless of orientation

I dunno, maybe I'm reaching