Has technology helped or hintered the way you meet people today ?

rayray

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm in my 50s today . We have so many more ways to communicate and meet people today . I remember the time when we didn't have the internet, cell phones etc ..When i was younger people had a lot more face to face interaction with each other . I guess my question is....How did you meet , hook up and date before all of this modern technology?

rayray

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I got the idea for this thread from reading another thread about a member that was at a loss for words when trying to meet women . He received a lot of great advice and it got me thinking if today's modern technology has in some way or another caused us to lose our imagination and creativity.

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm still old school - I do not use technology to meet people for social purposes. No social media, no hook up sites, no match making sites. I have friends, some of whom have done very well with different sites, but I have no desire to do it. So, to answer your question - no help, no hindrance - not a factor for me.

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Technology has changed the way we communicate. I think it has both helped and hindered us.

Helped because we get instant feedback and reaction. We no longer have to worry for days or weeks over whether someone wants to chat. We can touch base, chat and interact with relative ease. We don't have to worry that the person won't answer the phone.

Hindered because we get instant feedback and reaction. We no longer take the time to think of an appropriate or thoughtful response. There is a lot more knee jerk reaction and quick words. We can read a lot more into silence.

I bet the same discussions were had when the phone or postal service was first developed. But, we can't go backwards, so we deal and adapt. :)

rayray

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I bet the same discussions were had when the phone or postal service was first developed. But, we can't go
backward, so we deal and adapt.

That's the truth . Have you ever tried to find a pay phone nowadays? It's impossible. I remember when CSI first aired and during a scene one of the investigators was holding a gadget with a picture of a suspect on it and remember thinking what in the hell is that . I think it has hindered a vast majority of the younger generation with texting , just to name one thing .

Reactions: fluffychocolate

temptotalk

Legendary Member
Media
backward, so we deal and adapt.

That's the truth . Have you ever tried to find a pay phone nowadays? It's impossible. I remember when CSI first aired and during a scene one of the investigators was holding a gadget with a picture of a suspect on it and remember thinking what in the hell is that . I think it has hindered a vast majority of the younger generation with texting , just to name one thing .

Hasn't been that way for me. I've always had trouble when it comes to people. Both understanding and joining with.That's less of a tech problem and more a societal one. Which i think is the larger issue. Pretty sure people haven't changed much if at all over the years. It's just that theres more people.

Reactions: wallyj84

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I meet lots of people online. Some of them I have sex with. Some are total creeps. One guy I enjoyed having sex with, I enjoy more now that we keep our clothes on and do tradition friend things, like go have dinner.

That being said, I met my gf the old fashioned way. We were passengers on the same commuter bus. (Do a search of this site.)

The old and the new. I use it all.

W

wavejock

definitely has helped in meeting no doubt..but with that said you still have to have the ability to communicate during and once you meet. It helps facilitate it,,but it doesnt replace a personality.

Reactions: fluffychocolate

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
On balance I would say it may have slightly 'hindered' making casual acquaintances.

I'll be 52 this year and I've noticed a change on the streets.

It used to be possible to pick guys up in the street, with just a look, but now most are either looking down at their mobile devices or seem uncomfortable with looking others in the eye..... I do live in London where this is perhaps exacerbated by the sheer numbers and the fear of crime but I've noticed a difference over the last 3 decades.

I'm aware that there are apps like Grinder? but as yet haven't used them.

Reactions: alcor972

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Modern technology hasn't really impacted my personal life at all. I'm not on any social media platforms (unless you count LPSG as one) I'm not on facebook, instagram, snapchat, twitter, none of them. Other than this website, all the human interaction i get is face-to-face, in person conversations. I barely got online in 2012, and I was already in my 20's. Never had money for a computer/cell phone before then, so I stayed in the stone age a lot longer than most people my age.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess I'm old school as well. I'm 44, but I really can't think of any personal connections I've made online that I have a relationship in real life. I have a lot of virtual friends (like here), but never met any.

fluffychocolate

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know technology has broadened my friendly acquaintances. I've met some really fun people online and I've even met a few offline. But that's for friendships only. I still meet guys the good old fashioned way, face to face contact.

Reactions: deleted924715

Doranq

Legendary Member
Media
I grew up immersed in electronics from a tender age of 2. I don't use social media for social things. I use it to sometimes follow companies or maybe a specific artist I like. Sometimes the nifty Facebook auto signup feature. That's about it. Probably odd considering the environment I grew up in. :\ I didn't get into the whole texting thing either. I find it rather stupid. It's so inefficient. You could just call or use an actual keyboard and get your point across faster. I also find text to be a rather shitty medium for communicating with people because it is open for misinterpretation and some things cannot be conveyed properly through text.
Video chat is probably the best medium at this point in time. I imagine with in 15 years or so there might be something cool that crops up from VR. Til then probably face to face is the best in most situations.

The only thing I like about the whole online interaction is that it gives you an opportunity to meet people you otherwise would never have met ... for better or for worse.

W

wavejock

Two out of the three most "serious" relationships I have had were from people I met online..started off as a chat..then a no strings meet ( yes initially thought it would be a hookup), that turned into a long term. I have also met for a hookup that I stayed friends with. Its like anything else..its a tool to meet people.. but you still need to know how to communicate and talk

blackfan

Sexy Member
Media
It certainly seems to have "hintered" your spelling - the word is "hindered". You'd think people would at least get the titles of their threads accurately spelled - to avoid looking like an idiot before you've even begun. One thing this technology has achieved is a lowering of basic standards, in all walks of life. The mediocre and mundane is now seen as a virtue. I suppose reality television is as much to blame as the lowering of people's level of general knowledge. Small points I know in a world of ludicrous unfounded religious fundamentalism running riot through the tiny closed minds, but there you go. You have to start somewhere

rayray

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It certainly seems to have "hintered" your spelling - the word is "hindered". You'd think people would at least get the titles of their threads accurately spelled - to avoid looking like an idiot before you've even begun. One thing this technology has achieved is a lowering of basic standards, in all walks of life. The mediocre and mundane is now seen as a virtue. I suppose reality television is as much to blame as the lowering of people's level of general knowledge. Small points I know in a world of ludicrous unfounded religious fundamentalism running riot through the tiny closed minds, but there you go. You have to start somewhere
Why be so critical about my spelling . Yes I misspelled hindered and overlooked it . Thank you for the correction. By the way your response is missing a period at the very end . Touche'