has the locker room dynamic changed

D_Terry_Misue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am in the under 30 group, and I almost always shower naked at the Y where I work out. I also wear a jockstrap for most of my workouts.

The previous observations are in line with my own: younger guys tend not to shower.

However, last weekend I had finished up a great workout and I was in the communal showers cleaning off when a bunch of the guys from the local HS wrestling team came in to use the showers after their workout.

I was surprised to see teenage guys using the showers with absolutly no fear of being seen naked. There was probably 3 or 4 of them showering, laughing, and talking together...just like young men should be doing.

steven0995

Experimental Member
Media
I think you're right on the nail with a lot of your thoughts. It's not always a clear black and white issue when it comes to public nudity with a lot of folks.

Some guys may simply be afraid they'll get picked on about their size, or talked about behind their backs, ala, "Hey, Bill, did you see the new guy at the gym today? Hey, Tom, you should have seen how small this guy was ... " type scenario.

Whether it happens or not, it's something that probably is on the minds of a lot of people of my age and younger. (I'm 30)

We also hear and see on TV all the size jokes and it doesn't really help. What finally helped me get over my shortcomings (no pun intended), was seeing some friends after a white water rafting excursion where everyone experienced shrinkage, and seeing another friend who was just as uncomfortable as I was. Sadly, too many don't realize that a penis is a penis, they come in all sizes, shapes, and colors, and all men have one. I got over it, and my friend, did, too. Now, we're both married with kids ... no big whoop. But it wasn't easy to overcome ... it took some kind of shared experience where everyone was put in the same position.

D

deleted213967

Wow!

So many threads that never seem to die on this popular topic ...

I have worked out and showered at many many gyms across the US thousands of time since my teens.

- The trend is evident: there has been a noticeably growing unease about nudity in the mens lockerroom, at least in the US. That being said, I still shower with plenty of guys in their 20s or 30s (of various shapes and colors) every single day.

- We've all posted about factors that may have contributed to the trend but IMHO no single factor can alone explain away such a bizarre and complex phenomenon.

- I tend to discard explanations that only apply to a limited group or very specific circumstances: of course a guy who's never showered in public will feel self-conscious the first couple of times, this is nothing new. Of course the guy who's hung like a horse or feels he is severely underendowed will shy away from exposing himself. Ditto with trigger-happy guys who get uncontrolled erections.

- I am more intrigued by guys who are past college age, whose bodies are well within the commonly accepted "range" and who will...

Forego the most basic hygiene standards of the 20th century (let alone 21st) and put their street clothes back on immediately after a full workout.

Change in the stinkiest biohazardous bathroom stalls.

Perform the awkward 5-minute towel dance, tripping over themselves and embarassing the whole male gender to avoid exposing their privates for 1 (one) full second.

Pretend to sit around and watch all 5 minutes worth of commercials on the lockerroom TV until the locker area where they are is "clear".

Certainly the relatively recent sexualization of the male body has something to do with it.

Group behavior must be one culprit as well. I have observed plenty of guys who work out in pairs or in larger groups. Usually, they either all shower or all shy away from lockerroom nudity.

Time of day also plays a big role: the "office" crowd which fills the gyms before start of business and at lunch time usually has no choice but to shower at the gym. BOs are a big no-no in an office environment.

D

deleted15807

Perform the awkward 5-minute towel dance, tripping over themselves and embarassing the whole male gender to avoid exposing their privates for 1 (one) full second.

:biggrin1: Never heard it called that but it is amazing to see the first time. Some insecure guy somewhere say 10-15 years ago decided he wanted to shower but not have his cookeis all out in the public. So he came up with the idea to change underneath a towel. His own little private changing area BUT it would actually be in public. Then other guys saw it and thought 'hey if he ain't showin nothing I ain't either'.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
I grew up in an area where there was a sizeable black community. I always thought it was interesting that outside of the locker room the black guys were often the biggest braggers about their sexual prowess, their endowments, etc., but once inside the locker room their were the most inhibited and their awkwardness and lack of comfort was palpable. Looking back, it was probably the fear of being exposed as a liar with regard to all the bragging.

asfan87

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i think its a generational thing. growing up my dad wasn't around and i'd go to the pool with my bathing suit under my clothes or change in the womens locker room because my mother was molestophobic for me. for PE we didn't have a locker room we just wore our normal catholic uniform and got it dirty and kept wearing it later through class. i played sports, volleyball, swimming, and soccer in middle school and went dressed to games / practice and went home in uniform and changed/showered there. when i got to high school we had a locker room and it was the first time i had to change at school it was very strange and we were all nervous...i changed using a towel and so did all the other dudes...we had the option to take a shower but it was discouraged as being kinda gay by the coach and we were not allowed to take one naked. no one ever took a shower the whole time i was in h.s. i had swim practice at a community college and did shower there but with my shorts on cause it made the straight guys uncomfortable to see me naked i thought and we all just wore our speedos...which were from waist to knees under our towels...we'd barely ever fooled around mostly just dissed each other hardly ever smacked each other with a towel we'd steal each others clothes sometimes and thats the only time we'd see each other naked, or when a towel just fell and we were like fuck it, but that was after a few years and we were comfortable around each other...the college dudes were naked sometimes but not for long...i'm 20 now and i go to 24 hour fitness and i do shower now but it feels weird because i'm the only naked young guy and the older dudes look at me funny...i feel very self conscience...i also always feel like i'm not buff enough when i'm in there...i take my towel to the shower well because i thought you were supposed to...i go barefoot though cause ive never gotten atheletes foot and its just a spary anyways if you get it...i hate it when grandpa aged dudes check me out and i sneer at them...i don't have problems being naked though...at all. i'll strip and run around naked in public and streak its not a problem for me. i think its just because none of my generation was raised with being naked around other boys/men, no all male facilities...no nude swimming is allowed...mooning gets you expelled...a guy smacked my ass in high school and he got suspended for 2 weeks, gay guys come out at an early age now and maybe guys are scared of that or something...no one had a problem with me though...the only guys that ever accused me of lookin at them were either joking or got a "at your ugly ass? hahah" from me, or they wanted their ego stroked or were a late bloomer and were hinting at me...yeah showers are not available, required, or even recommended and guys dont play sports anymore because bush spent all our fucking money on the war while sports and p.e. have gotten eliminated from nearly all schools along with art, music, foreign languages, science, it sucks. and i went to private school! on another note, i don't get the point really why do i have to be naked in the locker room, i go to the gym to work out not to be stripper...i'm as naked as long as i need to be...maybe if i were around dudes my age i wouldn't mind but did you older bro's generation hang out in the locker room? am i missing something? i'm gay and i feel uncomfortable being checked out potentially by uninvited eyes...my friends can stare all they want gay or straight male or female and they see me naked a lot...i whip out my cock at parties and moon and spread my cheeks when i give someone a good fuck you asshole. i think feminists have just succeeded in eliminating male bonding and platonic affection and have hypersexualized everything. and any nudity or horseplay or joking is harassment or violence or molestation...i.d.k. i thought you guys might want a young dudes perspective and i was wondering what you guys would think about what i said...also i never have worn a jockstrap for the gym...why would i need one? whats the purpose?

asfan87

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am in the under 30 group, and I almost always shower naked at the Y where I work out. I also wear a jockstrap for most of my workouts.

The previous observations are in line with my own: younger guys tend not to shower.

However, last weekend I had finished up a great workout and I was in the communal showers cleaning off when a bunch of the guys from the local HS wrestling team came in to use the showers after their workout.

I was surprised to see teenage guys using the showers with absolutly no fear of being seen naked. There was probably 3 or 4 of them showering, laughing, and talking together...just like young men should be doing.

here here

B_agapeboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
well, in san diego, Ca everyone seems to shower, steam and sauna at the gym... from young to old... its not always pleasent tho, trust me. some people are not built to display themselves naked.

D

deleted213967

i hate it when grandpa aged dudes check me out and i sneer at them...i don't have problems being naked though...at all...

Since I worked out at all the Bay Area 24HourFitness clubs (not to mention Gold's and University campuses), I can certainly relate to the "troll" factor.

This brings up a good point since some straight guys assume that only they are the target of trolls.

In fact, gay guys are even more fair game to many of those creepy lockerroom fixtures, easily recognizable by their extensive use of the "wet" areas, underuse of the exercise areas and propensity to wear tight Speedos not designed for their market segment).

I still shower naked but I now wear my swim shorts until the coast is clear (i.e. the guy in the adjacent partition is not a troll).

asfan87

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
well, in san diego, Ca everyone seems to shower, steam and sauna at the gym... from young to old... its not always pleasent tho, trust me. some people are not built to display themselves naked.

TRUE THAT!
i wish my gym could have start up some fat free hours

asfan87

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Since I worked out at all the Bay Area 24HourFitness clubs (not to mention Gold's and University campuses), I can certainly relate to the "troll" factor.

This brings up a good point since some straight guys assume that only they are the target of trolls.

In fact, gay guys are even more fair game to many of those creepy lockerroom fixtures, easily recognizable by their extensive use of the "wet" areas, underuse of the exercise areas and propensity to wear tight Speedos not designed for their market segment).

I still shower naked but I now wear my swim shorts until the coast is clear (i.e. the guy in the adjacent partition is not a troll).

well hot guys just get checked out so do hung guys and sexuality is beside the fact buddy. hahah i go to work out...i wish all the guys spent the whole time in the wet areas and i didn't have to wait on machines...fuck i'd shower with a hose in a display in the front window for that easy access

PECTACULAR

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
what is this with people's comments of trolls? May be your not someone dream either. Your there to shower. Making attractive ratings should be left for dating partners, not strangers in a non personal (yes, naked showering is not all about you and you personally).

old trolls, fat trolls, one armed trolls.................. get over your fine self! "Your" not the gift you think you are!

asfan87

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
what is this with people's comments of trolls? May be your not someone dream either. Your there to shower. Making attractive ratings should be left for dating partners, not strangers in a non personal (yes, naked showering is not all about you and you personally).

old trolls, fat trolls, one armed trolls.................. get over your fine self! "Your" not the gift you think you are!

were a judgemental social darwinistic pack animal that puts a high emphasis on personal appearance...trolls are ugly and no one likes them and trolls aren't ever alpha males there buddy. i happen to be a most people's dream. i'm not being cocky its just a fact. i'm not everyone's type but i am exceptionally good looking intelligent and outgoing, charming and funny. funny looking that is! (check out my canned humility ma?!!!) as for you pal maybe you like it when obese seniors stare at you while drooling while you're picking at the shit on your anus and scrubbing your underarms but i for one don't.

AND FOR THE RECORD ONE-ARMED TROLLS ARE NOT PEOPLE AND SHOULD'T BE ALLOWED INSIDE A GYM OR ANY OTHER BUILDING.

and one armed normal dudes deserve a blow job for getting it blown off in iraq and saving our asses.

Arod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
A strange thing happened at my gym. I joined my current club 10 years ago. At the time there were two sets of communal showers so if you wanted to take a shower, you had to do it with all the other men. There were guys who were avoiding the showers and doing the old "pull up the boxers under the towel dance" and or just coming and going in their workout clothes but many young guys were using the communals. About five years ago my gym remodeled the locker room and took out one of the communals and put in about 10 individual showers (with curtains) and left one communal (because the older memebers complained when they heard both were being taken out). Strangely after the locker room reopened, most of the young guys who had been using the communal showers flocked to the individuals and tightly closed the curtain and took the towel off after closing the curtain. It was, and still, seems that these guys now equate the communal as being somewhat gay. That because the individuals showers now outnumber the communal, that if you choose the communal you are purposely choosing to be seen or to be close to other men.

asfan87

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A strange thing happened at my gym. I joined my current club 10 years ago. At the time there were two sets of communal showers so if you wanted to take a shower, you had to do it with all the other men. There were guys who were avoiding the showers and doing the old "pull up the boxers under the towel dance" and or just coming and going in their workout clothes but many young guys were using the communals. About five years ago my gym remodeled the locker room and took out one of the communals and put in about 10 individual showers (with curtains) and left one communal (because the older memebers complained when they heard both were being taken out). Strangely after the locker room reopened, most of the young guys who had been using the communal showers flocked to the individuals and tightly closed the curtain and took the towel off after closing the curtain. It was, and still, seems that these guys now equate the communal as being somewhat gay. That because the individuals showers now outnumber the communal, that if you choose the communal you are purposely choosing to be seen or to be close to other men.

fuckin homos in the group showers

D

deleted213967

By "troll" I clearly meant perverted men who cross the line (legal and otherwise) by explicitly seeking sexual gratification in a public place when it is clear the target may be offended.

I have showered countless times with utterly unattractive men who were minding their own business getting cleaned up and refreshed.

I may not be the gift you think I think I am but that must be lost on the trolls in question. Would they stop masturbating out of their own shower stall and in front of guys who really don't fancy them then?

lorne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey,, hey, hey, hey, hey, oh mach... wrong song but I guess still applicable
cause its fun to stay at the... different generational preferences. I don't get nude around my buddies I know they get uncomfortable. If I'm with my self or friends I have made recently I usually do but anyone I knew when was younger not usually..

zumzum

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think it's a mix of reasons:

- it seems US are getting more prudish than before, perhaps this couple with the fact that it's a country now ruled by a government voted by religious bigots, you know nudity is dirty and bring you to the sin, during the victorian period there were pants for table's legs in the UK

- younger guys are scared by the standards that if you're not muscolar as superman and with at leaaaaaaaaaaast a thick 8" cock, you are worthless

- there are too many pervs (it's a guess)

- younger guys are full of hormons and honestly after working out for some hour, the peak of testosterone can make bad surprises

the latter was the problem that made me complain about open showers for ages, only later let's say when I was 23yo I was (9 times out of 10) able to have a shower and walk in the locker room without a steady erection and I felt safe only once in the pants

now I complain about curtains and the fact guys don't have a shower

It also happened that in the sport centre (in an European country) I used to go in the past there was a huge locker room with huge communal shower where anyone could go: children occasionally, teenagers, lads, men, so me and my mates used to find whole teams all naked having a shower (and doing a mess of course!unless the couch wasn't with them), I remember several young guys (I suppose 14yo 15yo) having showers, but only because they were all together (it was a team) and they really hadn't to be scared about their shape, they were very muscly for that age, there was a guy who had problems of hard ons on regular basis in the shower (I suppose he was gay, not a queer or feminine guy though) and this embarrassed some of his mates who waited for him and his friend to finish showering (I think because erection are contagious?)

I also remember a remarkable boner of a guy who started to get stiffy because he was towel-fighting with another guy.

Oh yes and there was another guy always hiding the fact he was always hard.

This is off topic but I remember a lot of those guys were very well endowed, it must be nowadays nutrition vitamins and lifestyle, this is not fair :-(

There was also another guy who knew to have a huge cock who blatantly showed off all the time till the last second!! hahaha

I remember finally the first time one of my mates had his first shower! I already asked him if he was shy and he said he just find it more practical to have a shower at home.

He and his best mate (like batman & robin if you get what I mean) had finally this shower and we discovered lol... the guy was small (that's because is so shy?) hehe although he's perhaps the fittest of the course, young and gorgeous, the friend instead has got a really big whopper and he's another hottie, my favourite because he's blond with blue baby eyes :))

here in the UK instead it's different, it's mixed, you can end up in a curtained shower or in a communal shower, there are also showers where a guy is in front of another awwwwwwwwww that's scary hahaha

Anyway, I don't wonder guys <25yo don't have a shower after gym, it took ages to me and the fact I went to naturist beaches helped me a lot!

zumzum

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
>I know they get uncomfortable.
> (.......)
>Soft: 6" long 4"around
>Hard 9" long 5.5" around

of course, with a cock like that :p

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's about being judged and god knows we do it here! College aged guys acting like 5th graders,just imagine.
Who knows if I had a little dick like they do I might act the same way.
BTW this type thread has been done a billion times.