Has the Net Affected Your Real Life Communication?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SpoiledPrincess, Nov 25, 2007.

1. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I use the net a lot, I don't watch much tv as I prefer the interactivity of the net, but it has affected the way I speak to people in real life. I've always been fairly outgoing and undisciplined, but now I sometimes say something to someone then instantly think 'well that was wildly inappropriate'. On the net you have a sense of false intimacy where you're chatting to a total stranger and telling them things about yourself your closest friend doesn't know. To be honest I'm not sure whether it's a bad or a good thing that it's affected my real life communications with people, I often think I should't have said that, but it often seems to cut through the bullshit so I get to a deeper level of intimacy more quickly than I previously would have, but that means that there are steps that are a natural progression in relationships of all kinds that are omitted because of this.

Has it affected the way you relate to people and do you think it's good or bad.

Gold star for the best answer :tongue:

2. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I speak exclusively in emoticons now.

3. D_golden parachute

D_golden parachute New Member

No not at all :)

but I type properly anyway

4. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

It hasn't really affected my communications with others TOO often... but when I laugh, I'm often thinking of the letters "lol". :smile: How sad.

5. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I talk slowly and without much enthusiasm. I don't know if this is because of a few depressing episodes or the internet although I have always been a SLB of few words.

It would be nice to be more chirpy but c'est pas moi. I think its helped me communicate with more people than I otherwise would, which is good. I also am much more confident/forthcoming with the written word than the spoken word. The internet, he likey that.

I think I've always been that way too. The internet I would say has been an aid in talking to other people, seeing as I am quite shy or in some other way socially awkward. At least some of the time. Sobertime, I call it.

6. D_golden parachute

D_golden parachute New Member

I do that sarcastically if someone says something really unfunny

just go lolololololololololol :biggrin1:

7. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Nearly all my day to day communication is in French these days, I find I still have to formulate a lot of what I want to say in English and translate (in other words I'm not fluent) - so at least I get a chance to think about the logical form while fucking up the phonological form :biggrin:

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

When I speak, I spell words wrong and need a spellcheck. :wink:

No, it has not affected my communications in the "real" world.

I prefer TV over the net, but sometimes I will watch things on demand and pause them to get on the net.

9. sjprep06

sjprep06 New Member

Albums:
    No, I'm usually more open on the internet (forums, im's, email, etc.) than I am in real life. There were a couple times when I almost wrote essays and other school work in short-hand. That's the only effect that the internet has had on me...

10. Belly_Dancer

Belly_Dancer Member

I believe it has affected me, and that the effects are positive.

Meeting people online taught me that there are people out there who can understand me, and who share my feelings and interests (I previously didn't have people like that in my life).

After spending time on the Internet, I became more willing to take chances with what I said to face-to-face friends, but so far it has panned out -- the few I have opened up to are much closer to me than they ever could have been otherwise.

If I ever open up to someone and they can't accept the "real" me, then I still won't consider it a mistake to have spoken my mind. I think it's probably better to know sooner rather than later whether you're compatible with someone. Prior to finding Internet community, I had some face-to-face "friendships" that went on for years without the other person ever really knowing anything about me beyond a surface level.

Being lonely in a crowd is no better than being lonely by oneself -- for me, it was worse. So, I'm very glad the Internet gave me the opportunity to learn that I can be fully myself and still be likable/lovable.

The acceptance I've gained from people on the Internet has given me the courage to seek that same level of intimacy with people in "real" life, and my life is much better for it.

A life of pretending is no life at all, on the Internet or anywhere else.

11. No_Strings

Gold Member

I can be fairly concise in the way I talk and I dislike repeating myself - if I have an interesting story to tell I'll usually run out of interest in saying the same thing after I've told it to 2 or 3 different people, but I think I've always been like that rather than it be a byproduct of spending so much time online.
    (Then again, I've had internet access pretty much all of my teenage/growing life and so it has always been there as i've developed conversational skills - who knows?)

I have spoken internet abbreviations before. I (used to) play videogames competitively, and as with sport or competition, it becomes necessary to send as much information as possible through as few words as possible. (Think "my bad", "no worries" etc.)
    Though we'll talk normally, when ingame it becomes a different matter, and gradually little things did start to creep in. E.G.
    Chuckling and actually saying the word lol inbetween it (as in, "lollipop")
    Saying brb instead of be right back (as in the letters, "bee are bee")
    If something ludicrous/unbelievable happens, saying rofl as an exclamation, "rofl, what the hell was that?" (rhymes with waffle)
    Little things like that, then they became used more and now we almost say them tongue in cheek. Although we're actually speaking these things, it's still over the internet to teammates I guess, so I'm not sure if that counts or not.

I have let "lol" slip out once or twice in real life situations, much to my own mortification. The worst was when I reapplied to college and went in for a quick interview with the vice-principal, adn when he asked me for my date of birth, I gave the wrong date; I said "9th of the 12th" instead of "12th of the 9th". I realised immediately and said, "Oh shi- err, lol."
    Really.

I get my own birthdate wrong. Then I begin to swear for doing that infront of my interviewer. Then I try and cut myself of from finishing that curse by saying a 'leetspeak' word. Classy.
    I don't think he was even listening though as he didn't say anything and kept looking down at his desk as he was writing.

:Eyecrazy:

12. Belly_Dancer

Belly_Dancer Member

ROFL

13. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Yeah, I don't call anyone anymore unless I have to. Damn dentists don't take emailed appointment requests.

14. ruffboy

Gold Member

as is so often the case, you say what i'm thinking, only in a so much more attractive fashion :wink:

15. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    oRlY? LoLz

(I have a friend who actually types in alternating caps when she chats, too. It's crazy... her pinky is just slamming the shift key. Why? No idea.)

16. JustAsking

Gold Member

Actually, I have been communicating non-verbally and electronically since 1964, when I first got a ham radio license. As a result, I have learned to have long cryptic conversations with strangers from around the world, using my fingers.

Before LOL, there was HI. Before brb, there was AS (run together like, ._...) or QRX. Before K there was C (which rhymes with Si)., etc.

de JustAsking AR K

17. D_smack ash

D_smack ash Account Disabled

Its helped me be more open.And its helped me in the real world when it comes to women.Its helped me see others in a different light.Knowing how to react to things now and not be ashamed of what i feel inside and not afraid to tell or show it.When i 1st joined this site it was rocky at 1st i felt trollish.i feel i have been accepted here i hope.i do owe my thanks to one member here for kicking me and to be more vocal when chatting.And no more starting today sending pms out.just being a member and having fun from now on

18. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Was that me then :)

I know a number of people who are shy who felt the net helped them open up, they didn't assume a persona but it let them be the selves they should have been.

19. simcha

Gold Member

I speak fluent HTML and Javascript. However, I keep becoming obsolete due to the fast rate of change on the Internet.

20. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

What's the internet?

Draft saved Draft deleted