Has this murder been reported in the US?

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Don't think so. As "reported" --you mean in the newspapers?

What makes headline news is a matter of conjecture. If you click onto rotten.com you find tales that are just as bad as this or worse, but don't get the front page treatment. A lot of them aren't deeply interesting and some of them that get selected are items that oftrn are calculated for the ability to generate new headlines, like the Brian Petereson case in the USA.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think so. Unfortunately, the US is celebrity obsessed and so unless one is a celebrity, crimes involving average people don't make the news (at least not the front page unless it is an unusually horrific crime).

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Is this not horrific enough, DD? A twenty year old ex jesuit college girl, allegedly enacting her rape fantasies to the end of murdering her flat mate?

Maybe it will get more attention when the film comes out. :rolleyes:

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is this not horrific enough, DD? A twenty year old ex jesuit college girl, allegedly enacting her rape fantasies to the end of murdering her flat mate?

Maybe it will get more attention when the film comes out. :rolleyes:

Hey DW, lighten up...I'm about to go to bed and the last thing I want to read is about a murder to keep me up all night, so I don't know the story...that was just my initial response and I was mostly referring to the celebrity worship this country has. I'll read the story tomorrow...I'm off to bed.

odd_fish_9

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
murdering someone just for not wishing to take part in a foursome.
The TimesOnline report does not say that. It says
TimesOnline said:
Detectives believe that the Leeds University exchange student, who was studying in Perugia, was killed between midnight and 2am after refusing to take part in a violent orgy on Thursday night.
That's a timeline, not an assertion of causality.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here is my theory/ies gathered from the evidence:

Meredith shagged her flatmate's boyfriend shortly before her death. Flatmate found out and went berserk and slit her throat. (size 7 shoe prints and finger prints have been found at thes scene and on Meredith's mobile phones, tests pending). Scene was staged to look like rape.

Roommate's boyfriend or the blond Italian guy she 'spurned' killed her...

But I'm leaning towards roommate theory. Think I'll be proved right?

PS the evidence is she had sex willingly shortly before death. I infer that must mean it was someone she knew and trusted. Since it was consensual, I don't think the person she had sex with would have been her killer.

The first thing I thought was it was the roommate and/or her boyfriend (at least he was in on it)

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have to disagree with you. If anyone it was the boyfriend and his friend. Amanda Knox (The flatmate and Seattle native) has said she heard screaming and covered her ears. From all reports Amanda was not the type of girl to do something like this. Some frineds of ours have known the Knox family and Amanda is a very non-violent person.

I think the boyfriend had a thing with Meredith behind Amanda's back, Meredith didn't want to share and she called him on it and threatened to blow his little playhouse down by telling Amanda the truth about her lover. He gets mad and he gets his mate to help him off Meredith and they are more than happy to let Amanda take the rap for it.

Here is one of the Seattle news stations stories on the case:

New Details Emerge In Italy Homicide Case

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I am sorry Osiris, but I am afraid the nice hometown girl seems to have changed somewhat since she was on the Dean's List.

She had only been with the Italian guy for two weeks and they were fucking from day one, not that that means anyhting other than that she was no Jesuit virgin.

Anyway, it is fascinating to see how different media present a story to their home readership. I think the Italian Police have a lot of evidence and the truth will out when they are good and ready.

Fish there are pages and pages of reports in the UK, I just linked to the Times.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sorry, Osiris. I'm a non-violent person who has never actually successfully punched anyone, always pulling back my strength at the last minute. But once, in a room full of witnesses, I snapped and tried to kill a woman. i would have succeeded too if my mother hadn't been one of the witnesses and stopped me. No one else did a thing. The motive? She pulled my hair. That's all it took after a lifetime of doing my very best to avoid hitting people. Before that moment, the most I'd ever done, even to people who were really hurting me was slap people around a bit, and even then, rarely at full strength. I have attempted some punches, but never actually allowed my fist to connect at full strength. I can't watch violent movies, or even boxing. But one time, I transfered responsibility for a bunch of pain I was feeling to this one woman, and decided she would die. I wrapped my hands around her throat and squeezed as hard as I could.

Amanda was there. At best she knew something was going down and did nothing. At worst, she was directly involved. Even after capture, she's done nothing to help, constantly changing her version of the events. Your girl's dirty. Everyone is capable of violence.

To answer the original question, I saw it on TV all day here in MA.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OK, I did not see the KING5 story (I don't care for their news cast). KIRO7 is now reporting a lot of what you show in the BBC quoted story and even have now said that police are researching who sent this text message found on Amanda Knox's cellphone:

"For me, whether it's tonight or tomorrow, Meredith dies."

Amanda's attorney has said that they maintain her innocence in the crime, but that they admit she contributed, Also (since you opened the CSI door) forensics is coming back saying the stab was made by a man and not a woman due to the force and trajectory of the blow.

I'll admit the girl may be no angel, but I still say she didn't have her hand on the knife.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hadn't heard about that. The only UK news I seem to hear about is the ongoing investigation into Princess Di's death. Let her rest in peace.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:eek::eek::eek:

OH SNAP! Now CBS has picked this up and I have to say this is turning into a spin doctors dream. I couldn't understand why this girl was being painted so evil by the Italian media (I understand why the BBC would, the deceased is a British national), but now the truth comes out about Amanda's priviledged life.

Amanda's father is a Senior Vice President for Macy's. Given that, he has a boatload of money for his daughter's defense. Amanda will see no real jail time. The U.S. Consulate will become involved at the urging of the father and she will receive some form of punishment, but it will be on American soil and on her parent's terms.

You know what they say about money:

"Money talks and you know what walks."​

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This thread is ugly. Another example of nationalism infused into a discussion of "news".

The story has been in the US headlines for ages.