Have a Jewy, Jewy Christmas

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Calboner, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Like a lot of American Jews, I grew up not taking the Jewish religion very seriously but being very sensitive about NOT being Christian and NOT participating in any kind of Christian religious observance. Every year at Christmas time, this becomes a live issue. (I'm sure a lot of gentiles regard Christmas as just a pagan and commercial holiday: sorry, but there's "Christ" in the name of it to remind us that it will never be reduced to that no matter how far the commercialization of it goes.) Hitherto, the difficulty was just to get through the season without compromising my self-respect for the sake of social cohesion. For instance, I think that at one time, when I was quite young, I would reply to the greeting "Merry Christmas" with "I"m Jewish"; now, I just say "Merry Christmas" right back. But lately, I have become more conscious of social isolation on this holiday, as it is occasion when families gather together, while I am always left on my own.

I wonder what sorts of difficulty other Jewish members of this site go through at this time of year.

Of course, this thread would must include a link to this video clip:

A Jew on Christmas (Season 1, Episode 10) - Video Clips - South Park Studios

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

The cards that I post say "Happy Holiday's" My www. greetings say Mele Kalikimaka (for those who have received them will attest) I have been very touched by the people who took the time to respond Hau'oli Hanukaha (or any version of it) There are a few people who have insisted that I wish them a Merry Chirstmas... and I do but I remind them that Jesus was born a jew, lived as a jew and died a jew... I rarely hear from these people again for some reason.

3. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you really want to mess with their brains, you should also tell them that Jesus was not born on Christmas.

Jesus was not born on Christmas Day, or even during the winter. - Facts - Dec 22, 2010 - OMG Facts

HowStuffWorks "Was Jesus really born on December 25th?"

Cancel Christmas - Jesus was born June 17, say scientists | Mail Online

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

5. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Yep, Jesus was a dreidel spinner. Some people tend to forget the context of His birth, life, and death.

I'll go a step further and say He was not a Christian, and never converted anybody. He was an abject failure, according to criteria established by some "Christians".

6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

They forgot all about that "love one another" stuff and what it really means. :rolleyes:

But even in America, nobody's perfect. I try to stick with the winners. I know a lot of Jews who are better Christians than the Christians. :wink:

7. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:

Originally Posted by nudeyorker View Post
    There are a few people who have insisted that I wish them a Merry Chirstmas... and I do but I remind them that Jesus was born a jew, lived as a jew and died a jew... I rarely hear from these people again for some reason.

love the clip from south park.

and, yes people do seem to forget that jesus was a jew. and, "he never stopped being jewish." (as mentioned by nudeyorker) so, really strange that people are anti semetic.

the church selected the approximate time of the winter solstice as the date to celebrate jesus' birth. they picked this date from pagan celebrations. it's the traditional date for pagans to celebrate the rebirth of the sun. historians place jesus birth month probably august.

it amazes me how far away from jesus the church is.

8. superbot

Gold Member

Didn't convert anybody??...How about the Apostles for starters??...They were the first Christians who took Christs teachings to the world.

9. vibrationzzz

Gold Member

Albums:
    They all meet and compare circumcision scars. Oi Oi Oi...Aussie Au...Fucking tangent again.

10. vibrationzzz

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have often wondered what he said when he hit his thumb with his hammer.. Could not have been "Jesus friggin bloody hell christ, that bloody well ........"

Thought...Maybe thats what his dad said when Jesus was being naughty. Just maybe, thats where it came from.

#10 vibrationzzz, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  11. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

It was probably something along the lines of, "OY! Ess drek und shtarbn, tuches leker! Kish mein tuches!"

12. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Yes, but He didn't convert them. They remained Jews.

13. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Yep, as many will have noted, the christian idea of Christmas, was taken from a paganistic idea of the time, so as to popularize Christianity at the time, and certanaly looking at the very large Pagen base in the UK and Europe of the time, this would certainly ring true.

Anyway, with the mass marketing and commercialization of Christmas now, the original idea of Christmas has been lost, due to materialistic lust.

I just see this time of year, as a holiday for the kids now.

14. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Yeah. I think the idea of thumbing our collective nose at deepest, darkest winter by throwing a party in its face is a fabulous idea, no matter what one's beliefs are.

But an orgy of spending is exactly what Christmas is NOT about , and I won't surrender that. It ain't lost until I give it up.

15. superbot

Gold Member

John the 'BAPTIST' ?????!!!!! Kinda signifies convertion from one set of beliefs to another!! Besides,once you accept that Jesus as the Messiah you are immediately at odds with Old Testaments (and therefore Jewish) beliefs.

16. superbot

Gold Member

That's ludicrous.How can you possibly say that the Christians TOOK Christmas from Paganism?? So what,the Nativity was lifted from other sources,cos that is what Christmas is centred on,not the holly and ivy and yuletide logs stuff!
    If Christmas means mass marketing and is for kids then that is only true for certain people and not a great many others,you can't possibly make such whopping generalizations.

17. ActionBuddy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh... Did someone mention Religion?... OK... *yawn*... off to another thread now.

18. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Yes, John was a person who baptized. A Jewish guy who baptized people. Yes.

19. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Impressive.

20. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Who gives a shit about that other stuff? What's important is what it means to YOU.

Draft saved Draft deleted