have sex with an arabic woman or man??

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My parents have moved to a smallish town here in Denmark. In the neighborhood they live in, the municipality revealed the plan to make a Muslim cemetery. People went completely crazy over it, citing that they didn't want to have a meeting spot for criminals in their neighborhood (!!!). I wouldn't mind my future children living in a world where such views are noticed and automatically met with laughter and ridicule and then thrown into the garbage, leaving the people who suggested such things feeling utterly stupid for trying to determine who's worthy of being buried in the precious danish soil.

Unfortunately, what happened was that people got behind the mad protesters, several parties in the municipality got behind them and admitted that the cemetery could very well become a meeting place and planning spot for evil Muslim criminals, and the idea of building the cemetery was quickly scrapped. What kind of sick signal is that to send out?

If racist xenophobia was just an insignificant personal view, I would have the same approach as you. But it's completely ingrained in society. It's big. Really big. It's everywhere and in many ways, it's the norm. Trying to make racists rethink their views is all well and good, but what we really need is a paradigm shift.

Reactions: Oxnard

I have found your approach to be fruitless. I may be wrong about this, but I can only go by what I've experienced.
You have found this approach to be fruitless, that doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means that you can't do it.
Referring to one of my previous posts, what about those slimy strange dudes who call women sluts, ugly, fat etc. just for rejecting them? You're likely to have experienced it, and if not, you must have seen it happen to someone. Don't you write off those guys? Or do you actually try to explain to them why they are being misogynistic and how they can better themselves?
I don't know which of your posts you are referring to, but yes, sometimes I do actually. Admittedly, sometimes I don't.

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You have found this approach to be fruitless, that doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means that you can't do it

Isn't that exactly what I wrote?

I don't know which of your posts you are referring to, but yes, sometimes I do actually. Admittedly, sometimes I don't

I am referring to the post on page eleven in which I wrote the following as a response to your claim that I can't write off a person because of an offhand remark:

Yes I can. It may be unfair, but I absolutely can. I have done it a million of times. Listen, if I'm at a bar and some stranger comes up to my table and utters some racist or homophobic bullshit and I have no reason not to believe that he's being serious, I will judge him then and there and say "yep, I ain't gonna talk to you, pal". How many times have I been at a bar with my girlfriend and seen some strange dude hit on her and then go ballistic once she rejects him? "You're just a slut", "I didn't want to fuck you anyway", "I'm too good for you, you skank". All that jazz. I have neither the time nor the energy to consider the demons he may fight with. He may be a nice guy who let his temper get the better of him, he may regret it instantly. Unless he apologizes, I don't care about that. Don't have the time for him. I will judge him and consider him a jerk from then on. If I had to contemplate the sociological discourses and personal struggles that cause every single action from every single person, I could do nothing else with my life.

Oxnard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was just wondering if the armed forces had any influence on racist views and opinions. When people were sent off to Iraq or Afghanistan to fight, they would have had to choose to believe they were fighting the enemy.

My friend's father had dementia. Near the end he could not live at home because he no longer recognized her mother. He thought he was at war, and thought that his wife was a Japanese soldier and that he had to kill her. It was so sad that the fear and hatred remained when he forgot and didn't recognize the people who loved him.
I don't know how things are in the British military, but in the American military things are generally much less racist than the civilian world.

After World War 2, Truman gave the order to integrate, which the military did a half-assed job of. In the 1960s, there was a race riot in or near the demilitarized zone in Korea within view of the North Koreans. This was a huge embarrassment for the American military, and the leadership worried that such an incident could cause World War 3 given the volatility of the situation in Korea, so they decided to get more earnest about implementing Truman's orders.

My father was sent to try and deal with the situation and talk to the rioters. As a result of those discussions, a lot of policy changes were implemented. The basis of those policies was that the military can't control what people think, but it can control what people say or do. Rather than give people "sensitivity classes" (which were already a thing back then), they took steps to increase social interaction between races, reasoning that increased social interaction would increase racial empathy. Minority servicemen were encouraged to use proper channels to complain about racial inequality, and the leadership went out of their way to show that those complaints produced real results.

The civilians leaders of the military (at the Department of Defense) liked what they saw in Korea and decided to implement those changes throughout the military, which caused much grumbling among Pentagon officers. The white general who implemented those policies in Korea effectively lost his career due to resentment from top brass.

This creates the military environment I grew up in. Racists were still around, and I can see that more clearly looking back, but as a child racism was effectively hidden from me. I didn't know about it, I didn't see it, and when we learned about racism in history class, I assumed that no one in America did those things anymore because I didn't see anyone around me doing those things. When I finally moved back to my own country, it was to the South where I learned that racism is still very real in America, and I can't begin to tell you how much that upset me.

Racism and the effects of racism were hidden from most of my childhood simply because I grew up on overseas military bases.

To the extent that the American military has an effect on racism in America, it is a positive effect. Studies show that to this day, qualified, motivated minorities are more likely to get ahead in the military than in the civilian world.

Oxnard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My parents have moved to a smallish town here in Denmark. In the neighborhood they live in, the municipality revealed the plan to make a Muslim cemetery. People went completely crazy over it, citing that they didn't want to have a meeting spot for criminals in their neighborhood (!!!). I wouldn't mind my future children living in a world where such views are noticed and automatically met with laughter and ridicule and then thrown into the garbage, leaving the people who suggested such things feeling utterly stupid for trying to determine who's worthy of being buried in the precious danish soil.

Unfortunately, what happened was that people got behind the mad protesters, several parties in the municipality got behind them and admitted that the cemetery could very well become a meeting place and planning spot for evil Muslim criminals, and the idea of building the cemetery was quickly scrapped. What kind of sick signal is that to send out?

If racist xenophobia was just an insignificant personal view, I would have the same approach as you. But it's completely ingrained in society. It's big. Really big. It's everywhere and in many ways, it's the norm. Trying to make racists rethink their views is all well and good, but what we really need is a paradigm shift.
The major racism and bigotry seems to happen at the local level, and yes it is far more pervasive than people realize. A few years back we had a big legal battle with a suburban city government that tried to block the construction of a Muslim community center. We won the court case, but they are still dragging things out. :(