Have you all gone crazy?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Catchoftheday, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

2. invisibleman

Gold Member

Susan Boyle, you go, gurl!!!!

3. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Well, I for one certainly didn't buy it....

...I illegally downloaded it

4. HUNGHUGE11X7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
    Verified:
    Photo
    I own it and it far exceeds any expectations I had of SUSAN BOYLE.
    I knew it was going to be good b/c she does have a wonderful voice. I did not know how brilliant it would be as well as how revealing of her immense talent and soul . Eventhough it is a cover CD it is an atounding debut CD from a very gifted singer and I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend anyone of discerning musical tastes purchasing it and gifting it to those with similar tastes !

HH

5. Curious_cock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree, HH.. and I read an interesting story about how, in the past (before TV and mass media), we typically judged a singer by their voice, because we primarly heard them on the radio, or on an LP. When we saw them in person, however they looked was secondary, since we came to hear them sing. In other words, we were primarily focused on their talent and soul..

But, over the last few decades, people have started to judge a singer first on their appearance, hence, the skeptical view of the judges (and most of the audience), when this frumpy looking spinster in a worn-out dress, DARED to come out and sing, in the midst of other female anorexic young beauties... It's refershing to see someone burst on the scene that doesnt look like they belong on the cover of a fashion mag..but whose heart and soul come through to us from their voice! Go Susan!

6. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I like the notion and the talent of Susan Boyle.

To each his own.

Thanks. I'll buy it today on your good recommendation.

7. whatireallywant

Gold Member

EXACTLY!!! This is one of the things that pisses me off about the music industry today! That for female singers, they have to be physically "hot" in order to succeed (and of course for the most part, once they get past a certain age, they are considered "too old"! :mad:) Not to say that some of the "hot" looking women don't have good voices (many of them do), but the fact that you HAVE to be "hot" to sell music now (if you're a woman) is what bugs me now. Someone like Mama Cass Eliot would not have a chance today.

And I actually hadn't heard Susan Boyle's voice until very recently. I was kind of surprised that a woman who is not what is considered "hot" had won (sorry, I'm American, I forget the exact name of the contest she won) a contest for singing. But when I heard her sing, I KNEW why she won!!! Wow!!!!!!

Now, if only the US media would get this memo... I still remember one instance from the one season of American Idol that I watched (the season that Carrie Underwood won), during the auditions, one woman came on to sing and I was almost hoping that she sang badly because I knew she wouldn't get past the judges, just based on her looks. (She was, well, obese... and rather plain looking). She sang beautifully. She did not even make it past the audition, purely based on her looks. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: (Now, I do think Carrie Underwood has a good voice too, but I just got really angry with the judges for what they did to that one woman during the auditions!)

Another thing that bugs me is that these rules only apply to women. Men don't HAVE to be "hot" to sell music. (Now, I actually heard Paolo Nutini and liked his music BEFORE I saw what he looked like and thought he was hot! :biggrin1:)

8. Viking_UK

Gold Member

She actually only came second in Britain's Got Talent, but she's been pretty successful since then. She's had to deal with a lot of negative press, but she seems to be coming through OK. Regardless of that, she's got a beautiful, melodic voice and I for one think she's great. OK, her first album is all covers, but that's the music industry for you these days. I hope they'll be more willing to experiment with future albums and give her some original songs to sing so that she won't always be known as a cover artist.

9. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

I would buy it, but I'm cheap. She has a beautiful voice, just keep your eyes closed...

10. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Although she is totally "barking" she does have an amazing singing voice.

11. curiousimagining

curiousimagining New Member

I heard about her from my mom so I went to youtube to see her first performance. She has the most amazing voice! And I loved how she shocked them all in the audience and the judges. The rolling eyes in the audience stopped in a heart beat. I'm glad she's doing so well.

12. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

13. fortiesfun

Gold Member

And even though it was a totally spontaneous moment, by sheer good fortune there were cameras not only catching her performance on stage, and the usual crowd reaction shots, but two full crews backstage who "happened" to catch footage of the off-stage hosts narrating this unexpected turn of events and the stage crew "realizing" that she was a great voice.

It is one of the single best marketing campaigns for anyone, anywhere ever conceived.

Draft saved Draft deleted