Have You Been Or Would You Go Back To The Gym?

D

deleted972421

I have. I go first thing in the morning or an hour before closing when there aren't as many people. I love being back in the gym, but I am a little nervous. I've gotten sick before from other people coming to the gym sick.
An excellent added precaution that should be part of one's responsible process of returning to the gym.

Reactions: platinumswagger

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I haven't seen science to support how deadly Covid-19 was ORIGINALLY thought to be. With that being in mind, I have been at the gym for the past 10 days and LOVING it. I missed it so much. The gym is great for your physical health but also your mental health. I'm so much happier and ready to get my speedo body back!!!
I agree with what you said about the physical and mental conditioning of going to the gym. The part about science not showing how deadly it is not correct. I live in NC, and we have just under 40,000 cases with just over 1000 dead. I personally have lost 3 friend. The news news is filled with data, the CDC also provides date on how dangerous this virus is. Half the universities are tracking cases and deaths. The only groups who thinks it is safe are trump followers and his Fox news.
Going back to gym now? I am not sure for me. I may get the virus and survive, but may give it to friends, family, or even strangers who will not survive. I can not take the chance yet.

D

deleted972421

I agree with what you said about the physical and mental conditioning of going to the gym. The part about science not showing how deadly it is not correct. I live in NC, and we have just under 40,000 cases with just over 1000 dead. I personally have lost 3 friend. The news news is filled with data, the CDC also provides date on how dangerous this virus is. Half the universities are tracking cases and deaths. The only groups who thinks it is safe are trump followers and his Fox news.
Going back to gym now? I am not sure for me. I may get the virus and survive, but may give it to friends, family, or even strangers who will not survive. I can not take the chance yet.
Personal impact certainly adds clarity to one's thoughts.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
First, I want to thank everyone who answered this thread and offered advice. I can actually understand both sides of the argument, in that based upon the data there is a very real cause for trepidation, yet since this thing is not going away anytime soon we can't continue to live in a bunker (unless you're the president).

I did go back again and took the chance by resuming my weight training. I stuck to the machines that are somewhat spread out and stayed away from the free weight/cable area which was crowded with the usual young mirror men and where the next guy is only 6" to a foot away from you and none were of course wearing masks. In actuality it seemed like there was not much change since pre-Covid. With the exception of the staff and one older patron, my wife and I were the only ones with masks and while it was uncomfortable, especially on the concentric phase, I found it was still doable. I did have to remove it while warming up on the treadmill as I think trying to breath while doing cardio would be much too difficult if not unsafe. Every other machine has been shut off to allow some distancing, but I will admit it did make me leery when the guy two machines over, clearly overexerting himself, was huffing and puffing and you could almost see his spittle and sweat being expelled. I also noticed the staff was making more of an effort to wipe down the equipment between uses (still saw several patrons swapping machines without cleaning them) and the spray bottles now have a green liquid rather than the usual pink, though I'm not sure if this means it's a better disinfectant or merely that they just added some food coloring :rolleyes:.

I was able to get a sufficient workout and in fact going on the second day now, I still feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest and it is painful to lift my arms above my head :weary_face:. Having used muscles that have not been sufficiently challenged in three months is making me understand that while this is going to be an uncomfortable road back, yet I welcome the pain at the same time as it's been absent too long. For now I can stick to the more isolated equipment I need as those machines will help me concentrate specifically on those areas that have been most neglected during the lockdown, but I know once I can transition into my normal routine I will need to use the cables and free weights and with the design of the gym, that still concerns me.
I guess I can just go with the flow and get my fitness back while I can till the second wave hits, although the cases are already spiking back up in our state and county since the re-openings.

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, that's not true at all.
We have a very good understanding about how the virus works now.
And, you know what the single biggest thing we've learned from all the previous theories regarding it's lethality and ability to be passed on?... It's not anywhere near as bad as once thought.
"2.2 million will die".... Nope. How about very low six figures at best.
"It can last 9 hours on surfaces".... Except that it isn't able to do anything to you at that point.
"Staying indoors is the best way to go"... 66% of new cases were from people adhering to strict isolation/lockdown protocol.
"We need to wait for a vaccine"..... Like measles? (100,000 deaths a year on average currently).
Like I said... If you are uncomfortable, cool. Stay home. Do something else. Wear a mask. Don't care.
But, let's give adults the ability to make up their own minds.
Cigarettes, alcohol, prescription medication, and driving a car.. They all kill hundreds of thousands every single year & affect others around them, too.
If you are in the at-risk group, take precautions.
I'm going to participate in one of the things that helped keep me from getting sick in the first place... The gym.
If I somehow got sick, I've got a better than 97% chance of beating it.... Without medical intervention.
Again... Do what you think is best for you.
Allow me to do the same.

2.2 million haven't died because actions to prevent the spread have taken place. And yet infection rates are spiking across the country in places that have reopened without hitting specific safety bench marks, and we are now at 117k dead in America since March.

Either way, it's people with attitudes like this that have me convinced that going back to the gym when they reopen in my state is not a good idea.

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Same here. It's not worth the risk. People are rushing to get back to normalcy but a virus doesn't give a shit about any of that.

Arizona's Healthcare system is about to look like Italy in the next few weeks. This is not going away anytime soon

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
2.2 million haven't died because actions to prevent the spread have taken place. And yet infection rates are spiking across the country in places that have reopened without hitting specific safety bench marks, and we are now at 117k dead in America since March.

Either way, it's people with attitudes like this that have me convinced that going back to the gym when they reopen in my state is not a good idea.
Like I said...
Stay home. I don't care.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When this impacts someone you care about, you will.
Ooooooooooo!!! Lol
Well, you're partly right.
I'll be hurt that the person I care about is gone.
But, I'm also going to be smart enough to realize and respect the fact that they knew the risks and made their own decisions.
I've had family pass away from smoking and influenza.
Guess what?... I didn't have hatred for big tobacco or get pissy about people who may have tracked the virus into contact with them.
They all knew the risks.
Life isn't risk-free.
They didn't voice any regrets or anger, either.
Get over yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snarky_succubus

Alextate817

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I do miss the gym and I can’t wait to go back. I go to two different gyms and when I go back, I will definitely have a mask on the whole time and make sure I clean my area when I’m done working out. Besides working out, I have missed the saunas and steam rooms. I just miss the whole locker-room atmosphere. I probably won’t go back once it reopens. I might go like a few weeks later. But whenever they open up the NY gyms, that would be great.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Mine reopened this week. I've not been back in. I'd stopped going 2 weeks before they were told to. Mine is a smaller club with not a lot of floor space. I miss it a lot. The issue for me is my wife though healthy has Lupus (autoimmune issue). So I have to be conservative about contacts. They say they "disinfect". The staff wears masks. But members are not required. I don't see a clear path for going back yet.

D

deleted972421

Mine reopened this week. I've not been back in. I'd stopped going 2 weeks before they were told to. Mine is a smaller club with not a lot of floor space. I miss it a lot. The issue for me is my wife though healthy has Lupus (autoimmune issue). So I have to be conservative about contacts. They say they "disinfect". The staff wears masks. But members are not required. I don't see a clear path for going back yet.
With recent announcement by California Gov. Gavin Newsom, I believe the members are now required by law to wear a mask at the gym. That said, with your wife's condition, I would be very cautious as you have been.

Serial Kisser

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been back at OrangeTheory for a month and they have taken extra precautions to ensure cleanliness. Class size is reduced to only 12 people. They fog in between classes. Equipment is spaced out. They take temperatures and verbal symptom check before coming in. I feel safe.

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

You are a good man, that's what gets lost in the conversation. It's not necessarily about what the virus can do to you, but what it can do to other people around you

sd425

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
More evidence has come out in the past week that indicates masks work to reduce the spread of infection. Even if you aren't afraid of dying, if the number of cases goes up then we all might have to go back into lockdown. So at the very least, people should wear a mask at the gym so they can keep going to the gym.

Even Arnold Schwarzenegger would agree: https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1273754766787502080

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
More evidence has come out in the past week that indicates masks work to reduce the spread of infection. Even if you aren't afraid of dying, if the number of cases goes up then we all might have to go back into lockdown. So at the very least, people should wear a mask at the gym so they can keep going to the gym.

Even Arnold Schwarzenegger would agree: https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1273754766787502080
masks don't work you don't have N/P/R-95 or N/P/R-99.... A/C systems indoors act as a virus distribution systems.. i doubt they have been reconfigured to pull in outside air only as that would raise the cost of the electrical bill..

Reactions: Gj816

earthw

Experimental Member
Media
If it makes you feel any better... it’s becoming more and more evident that transmission by asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic is incredibly rare.
Evident to whom? Got a link or two to back up this statement? Asymptomatic persons with the virus can definitely transmit the virus through breath, not as easily as those with a fever, but definitely can. That comes from any reputable health source.