Have You Been Or Would You Go Back To The Gym?

earthw

Experimental Member
Media
masks don't work you don't have N/P/R-95 or N/P/R-99.... A/C systems indoors act as a virus distribution systems.. i doubt they have been reconfigured to pull in outside air only as that would raise the cost of the electrical bill..
The key here is that everyone has to wear a mask (cloth or otherwise), but because some dumbasses in the US think it will never affect them or think it is a hoax, they decide not to wear one. And, when they do this, everyone's risk goes up, even if you are wearing an N95 mask. Any reputable medical/scientific source will confirm this. Oh, by the way, the US had more daily cases confirmed on June 20th then at ANY time. covid19 cases - Google Search

Reactions: Spike Baltar

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The key here is that everyone has to wear a mask (cloth or otherwise), but because some dumbasses in the US think it will never affect them or think it is a hoax, they decide not to wear one. And, when they do this, everyone's risk goes up, even if you are wearing an N95 mask. Any reputable medical/scientific source will confirm this. Oh, by the way, the US had more daily cases confirmed on June 20th then at ANY time. covid19 cases - Google Search
I never said it was a hoax the virus is 100-120 nm ish yeah your mask does not work

your mask does nothing as the air comes out the sides there for is pretty much useless..

Reactions: deleted5493

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Evident to whom? Got a link or two to back up this statement? Asymptomatic persons with the virus can definitely transmit the virus through breath, not as easily as those with a fever, but definitely can. That comes from any reputable health source.
I included a video. So? Also, I said “rare”. Not impossible.

I’ll be heading back to my gym as soon as it opens. It has been closed since March, and it’s killing me both physically and psychologically not being able to go in for a workout. I have been doing a class online every week with my gym, but it’s not nearly enough and doesn’t take the place of in person classes.

Infection rates are very low now in the province where I live (161 cases reported today). That’s the lowest rate in 3 months. Being the most populated province in the country (14.5 million), it’s very encouraging. My province is still considered a hot spot though for infections because that’s the highest infection rate of any province in the country at the moment, so gyms still aren’t allowed to open yet.

I’m at the age and healthy enough that I’m pretty confident I would recover it if I got infected. TBH, I’m more worried now about the physical and psychological effects this is having on me than I am about getting COVID-19.

Last edited by a moderator:

3rd week back in the gym, I'm making progress and getting back on track. I go early in the morning when it opens, so there are very few people there because most people don't like to get up early. So far so good.

Reactions: Gj816

neutrno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The day it opened, I was back. We clean more than usual and don't stay on top of each other, but it was already clean and people were already respectful of each other's space.

However, now we can only be 15 in the studio for the zumba/step/etc lessons. It means when I try to reserve, it's often full. I've decided to quit and go back when it's all normal again. Anyway, being warm outside, I prefer to run/cycle/kayak/etc. I have weights home and there's a calisthenics park not far, closer than the gym.

One day, I've seen one person wearing a mask in the gym. Only once.

Reactions: WilliamG

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My gym has been open a couple of weeks now. I stayed out the first week. I have gone three times twice last week and this morning. Can't really seem to get into the swing of things since my gym doesn't open until 6 am through the wk 7 on the wkend. I was going before work. Now I have to go after work. 0

They got social distancing with the cardio machines. There's not been a huge crowd when I've been there. But they gave two machines blocked off for social distancing. It's one skip two which decreases the actual number of machines available by more than half.

The weight area isn't social distancing. I always wipe before and after I use anything. Haven't really seen staff cleaning anything but the mens locker room. They've even social distancing the lockers.

Only seen a few people wearing a mask. Personally I don't see how they're able to workout with a mask on. I work up too much of a sweat for wearing a mask.

On the upside though I've lost 6.5 lbs since 6/3. I've been walking and running in the neighborhood in the evenings after dinner.

Reactions: WilliamG

MrTMT

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The YMCA I went to has just reopened 2 weeks ago. I managed to come in one day last week, first time back since mid-March when it eruptedly closed due to COVID-19. Now, it's closing 2 hours earlier (at 8PM) for the staff to do cleaning up. This makes it harder for me, as I go in late after work, mostly around 6:30PM, but more likely 7PM. I felt like I'd need to rush through my normal routines to be out before closing. The sauna is locked, but pool is opened and sign up is required if you want to use it. I've never use the pool, but I do use the sauna after workout. I've 15 minutes less without the sauna. So if I time it correctly, I would able to get in and out within 1 hour.

One thing I noticed, based on the number of cars on the parking lot the day I went there, it was low, roughly about 10% of what it was before COVID-19.

Neijo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I usually go to my gym only for back training, sauna and to get the once-in-a-year fitnessplan. But the sauna and the fitness plan guy are both not back in service yet. So I haven't been into the gym. Especially since it's not possible to change there.

Reactions: Alextate817

OscarM

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I never said it was a hoax the virus is 100-120 nm ish yeah your mask does not work

your mask does nothing as the air comes out the sides there for is pretty much useless..

For masks to work as effectively as they can, you must wear them properly. A sweeping generalization that masks don’t work is misleading and incorrect. Some materials filter better than others, some are made to fit better than others - any face covering is better than no covering at all. Even if you can’t completely prevent the spread, mitigating the spread is still something.

Neijo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
For masks to work as effectively as they can, you must wear them properly. A sweeping generalization that masks don’t work is misleading and incorrect. Some materials filter better than others, some are made to fit better than others - any face covering is better than no covering at all. Even if you can’t completely prevent the spread, mitigating the spread is still something.
Not an advert, but if you want to workout AND wear a mask, try the Respro Pollution masks. I've worn them at my training units for running even before the pandemic.

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
with the way things going it's not effective

Smoothnudistinwi

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
These last three months have sucked due to the closings and I've been trying my best to keep some state of fitness, but I've basically been limited to muscle maintenance over gains with my basic free weights at home and zero cardio. So when it was announced our state was allowing gyms to reopen with 75% capacity 2 weeks ago, I still was hesitate because I feel things are being lifted too soon, especially given our rising positive cases and lackluster testing. I also feel if there is going to be a second wave due to inadequate social distancing and sanitation it's going to be in an environment like a gym.

Despite this and the fact now that the gym is now allowed 100% capacity, I figured I check it out; just to see for myself if it was worth the risk. Since the treadmills were set two apart from each other I figured I'd limit my workout to light cardio for 30 minutes and get a lay of the rest of the land even though my priority is to get back to hitting the weights. What I saw did not give me much confidence.

While there wasn't nearly the amount of people there as it was pre-lockdown, but the weight area still seemed busy. The free weight area, always a popular spot, was the most packed with the usual crowd of curls-for-the girls group of young guys who I have no doubt would be there even if someone was hacking up their lungs right next to them. I only saw two people wearing masks in the whole gym and one or two just walk away from a machine without cleaning which was nothing new even pre-Covid. The workers, always understaffed, hung around the front desk as they've always done even though the guidelines claim they are supposed to disinfect equipment between uses. Not that I'd count on their spray bottle stuff killing any viruses since I think it's just pink water.

So like I said, none of this gave me great confidence to resume my weight training and now I find myself debating if I should go back three days from now when my days off roll around. I figured I could go at a slower time, but I have no idea when that will be and neither does the staff. Add to that their usual 24 hours are limited due to our county being under a curfew and that leaves out going in the morning or at night even if I was willing to get up early or stay up late. It seems risky, but the question is just how much? There is also the simple fact that unless I cancel the membership, they have stated they still will take money out whether I go or not; which of course by catering to the no-shows is how they make their money.

So I would welcome opinions and advice from anyone whose gyms have already opened and they've either been back or are thinking about. If you have went back did you weigh the risk versus your goals and how did you come to your decision? If you haven't why not? If you are still thinking about it, what is keeping you from doing it and what will make you decide to go? And if your gym hasn't opened yet, would you go back or not once they did and why or why not?
I absolutely went back. You have a higher chance of get the flu and dying than you do covid unless you have comorbidities. Relax. Cases are going up due to shoddy questionable reporting and a massive increase in testing which is also in question. This covid bullshit is all about politics. You won’t hear a word of it after the Nov. election unless DJT (likely) wins.

MuscledHorse

Superior Member
Media
Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I"m very lucky to be in Georgia where we were the last to shut down in March and first to reopen (last week of May). The LA Fitness locations have spray bottles for us to carry with us and I wipe down equipment before i use it (in case there was a lazy person ahead of me--usually a high schooler--and again after I'm finished. The hot tub is limited to two people and the sauna also has a limit of 2 or 3 people. Locker space is limited as only two lockers every six feet are accessible for use. About half the people have on a mask, only dropping it when not in an area where we are near others, which, aside from the dumbbell area, isn't really an issue due to how the equipment is spaced. (I don't do cardio machines, but those were cut by half so they are spaced out between users.) So far, there have been no problems, beyond the shortened hours, which corporate says is due to lack of demand and increased membership cancellations. Though, with the basketball court (we have affectionately nicknamed "the Cornaball court") now back open and the high schoolers on it with almost no masks (I've seen about 6 players with them in the last two weeks), I expect that to change given that the high school across the street from my location has made national headlines with their maskless senior group photo the first day back and the school system is mostly shut back down from all the virus cases and over 1,000 students and teachers in quarantine after just 5 days of operation. So, dead lifts, walking barbell lunges, bicep curls, dumbell shoulder press, cable flys and so on are going on as normal and I am so happy that I can--and yes, I am wearing a mask to workout.