Have You Been Or Would You Go Back To The Gym?

MilfBanger78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I may buy some more home equipment, not cuz of the covid BS but b/c my old gym closed which was literally 1 mile away, now I have to drive 25 mins to the other gym. Just takes up too much time. I'll just increase my test dosage and do dumbells,hindu squats kettlebells etc lol. Only thing I really need to go to the gym for is Chest & Back, so thats twice a week at Planet, so for $10 bucks a month i dont mind

Spike Baltar

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
not cuz of the covid BS
Yes, continue downplaying the seriousness of a global pandemic that has killed 295,000 Americans including my friend, while millions more continue to suffer, such as my other friend who had a 'mild' case not requiring hospitalization he 'recovered' from yet struggles to breathe during any physical activity a full six months later.
We are going to see tens of millions of people with a life cut short in the next few years from pulmonary and organ damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nailz and 930989

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Having an at home set up has been amazing. Working out on my own time, not having to share equipment, I should have done this ages ago. The health benefits can't be understated, I feel my body coming back to form muscle wise, I am losing weight gained during the pandemic, and sexually I feel a lot better. My libido feels like it's in overdrive, and my loads are a lot heavier and thicker.

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I think some people need the social aspect of a gym. Also if you actually remove yourself from your home environment, it's comforts and distractions and travel to another purpose-driven environment like that (like a gym, office, studio, whatever) then you are more likely to actually be productive. It's why some people who could work from home still set a strict work schedule and often travel to an office or at least separate a "work area" from their living space in order to help transition into "work mode".

I've been distancing myself from gyms for years, mostly because I got tired of being leered at and approached by meatheads who assume that a woman goes to a gym to be hit on : unamused:
I've slowly built up a home gym with the few kettlebells and barbells I need and can happily work out at home whenever I want, wearing whatever I want, and not get creeped on. There are a handful of machines I really miss but I can make do without. I know a couple of guys who have absolutely amazing physiques from calisthenics alone, so expensive equipment isn't a necessity.

Even if I was a gym regular, with COVID-19 running rampant I wouldn't even consider it. Not because a gym couldn't be made a safe environment, but simply because you cannot trust people to comply with even the most basic precautions. Before COVID-19 you couldn't even rely on people to use towels and wipe down equipment after they used it, so why would that change now? : unamused:

A gym could be made a low risk environment with proper ventilation and equipment hygiene.. and masks.
I can already imagine people complaining about how they can't exercise in a mask. People have run marathons wearing masks. People in their 40s have summited Everest without any supplemental oxygen. If you're crying about not being able to breathe in a mask then you might want to try some basic cardio like walking to get yourself at least onto the bell curve of basic human conditioning :rolleyes:

We are now in the thick of the second wave. New numbers of infections are the highest ever (just over 1,000 in Ontario the other day), yet in the city where my gym is located there are only 5 new cases. The county that I live in has only 1 new case. Out of "an abundance of caution", members were notified by the gym that a staff member tested positive over a week ago even though she exhibited no symptoms. I still plan to continue working out at my gym though. I feel safe with the protocols they have in place, and I have to say that a majority of members are being very good about wiping everything down before and after use. I would say that less than half of the membership have returned which also helps reduce the risk. Members have the option to keep their memberships on hold if they wish. If I was in one of the hot spots such as Toronto, Peel, York or Ottawa (which make up a bulk of the cases), I may have a different opinion. With only 5 new cases in the thick of the second wave, I'm not too worried. I do keep an eye on the daily total though especially where I workout and live. Going to the gym is not only important for my physical health, it's also important for my mental health. I need an escape to get out of the house as I'm still working from home. I received notification a couple of weeks ago that I will definitely be working from home until at least early May 2021. I think it will be September 2021 though until I'm back to work on site as the summer is our slowest time at work.

Last edited by a moderator:

We are now in the thick of the second wave. New numbers of infections are the highest ever (just over 1,000 in Ontario the other day), yet in the city where my gym is located there are only 5 new cases. The county that I live in has only 1 new case. Out of "an abundance of caution", members were notified by the gym that a staff member tested positive over a week ago even though she exhibited no symptoms. I still plan to continue working out at my gym though. I feel safe with the protocols they have in place, and I have to say that a majority of members are being very good about wiping everything down before and after use. I would say that less than half of the membership have returned which also helps reduce the risk. Members have the option to keep their memberships on hold if they wish. If I was in one of the hot spots such as Toronto, Peel, York or Ottawa (which make up a bulk of the cases), I may have a different opinion. With only 5 new cases in the thick of the second wave, I'm not too worried. I do keep an eye on the daily total though especially where I workout and live. Going to the gym is not only important for my physical health, it's also important for my mental health. I need an escape to get out of the house as I'm still working from home. I received notification a couple of weeks ago that I will definitely be working from home until at least early May 2021. I think it will be September 2021 though until I'm back to work on site as the summer is our slowest time at work.

Oops, only 1 active case in the county I live in and no new cases.

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think some people need the social aspect of a gym. Also if you actually remove yourself from your home environment, it's comforts and distractions and travel to another purpose-driven environment like that (like a gym, office, studio, whatever) then you are more likely to actually be productive. It's why some people who could work from home still set a strict work schedule and often travel to an office or at least separate a "work area" from their living space in order to help transition into "work mode".

I've been distancing myself from gyms for years, mostly because I got tired of being leered at and approached by meatheads who assume that a woman goes to a gym to be hit on : unamused:
I've slowly built up a home gym with the few kettlebells and barbells I need and can happily work out at home whenever I want, wearing whatever I want, and not get creeped on. There are a handful of machines I really miss but I can make do without. I know a couple of guys who have absolutely amazing physiques from calisthenics alone, so expensive equipment isn't a necessity.

Even if I was a gym regular, with COVID-19 running rampant I wouldn't even consider it. Not because a gym couldn't be made a safe environment, but simply because you cannot trust people to comply with even the most basic precautions. Before COVID-19 you couldn't even rely on people to use towels and wipe down equipment after they used it, so why would that change now? : unamused:

A gym could be made a low risk environment with proper ventilation and equipment hygiene.. and masks.
I can already imagine people complaining about how they can't exercise in a mask. People have run marathons wearing masks. People in their 40s have summited Everest without any supplemental oxygen. If you're crying about not being able to breathe in a mask then you might want to try some basic cardio like walking to get yourself at least onto the bell curve of basic human conditioning :rolleyes:

Cases in my state have spiked heavily since gyms and indoor dining were resumed, so staying away is the best choice. I don't trust people to wear masks consistently in the gym, never mind washing their hands before using anything and wiping it down.

I don't miss the gym at all frankly. I prefer working out in peace and quiet, I can blast my own music and not have to worry about taking too long on my bench.

ABurnabyDude

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I’m back at the gym because we were super low cases for a while but it just spiked over the weekend. The concern is palpable. Thankfully I took advantage of a deal and I am getting private PT at the gym. The trainer cleans the weights / benches before I touch em, wears a mask the entire time and is pretty strict about enforcing distancing of others around me.
I’m glad I’m back. Depression was really starting to set in because I gained so much weight and lost a ton of muscle mass (live in an apartment with shitty downstairs neighbours)

Reactions: AG08

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I’ve just started back up. Two times a week. Nothing crazy. I’m masked and shielded. Really try to stay away from people. I wish the gym was more in people pulling their mask down.

MilfBanger78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Having an at home set up has been amazing. Working out on my own time, not having to share equipment, I should have done this ages ago. The health benefits can't be understated, I feel my body coming back to form muscle wise, I am losing weight gained during the pandemic, and sexually I feel a lot better. My libido feels like it's in overdrive, and my loads are a lot heavier and thicker.

I'm debating a home gym setup in my spare room just bc I hate crowds in general. like even when the bs ends I'll still do walmart curbside pickup etc cuz i hate going in that shithole. But for certain bodyparts I need the gym, especially chest (spotters for Bench if im training alone as opposed to access to hammer machines at the gym) and back. Need pulldowns and i like some of the machines for rows which is not financially feasible for me to purchase, also considering the amount of space needed.

Reactions: longstroke7

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm debating a home gym setup in my spare room just bc I hate crowds in general. like even when the bs ends I'll still do walmart curbside pickup etc cuz i hate going in that shithole. But for certain bodyparts I need the gym, especially chest (spotters for Bench if im training alone as opposed to access to hammer machines at the gym) and back. Need pulldowns and i like some of the machines for rows which is not financially feasible for me to purchase, also considering the amount of space needed.

I miss being able to do pull downs as well.

Reactions: MilfBanger78

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
why wouldnt anyone go back, Ive been back for 2 months now and they should have been opened in summer. You can go hide under your bed if you are afraid of gyms.
7 posts in 3 years, and one of them is to belittle people who are taking precautions against a global pandemic that has already killed 1.25 million people and isn't even close to having run it's course. Posts like this just make me really sad :(

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
why wouldnt anyone go back, Ive been back for 2 months now and they should have been opened in summer. You can go hide under your bed if you are afraid of gyms.

^Folks, idiots like this guy are the reason why going to the gym right now is very risky behavior.

Reactions: Motion-of-the-Ocean

sd425

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Restaurants and gyms were spring ‘superspreader’ sites - STAT

"In Chicago, for example, 10% of the places people visited accounted for 85% of the predicted infections. Full-service restaurants, fitness centers, and places of worship had the highest overall risk for disease transmission."

My takeaway from this: If you don't want gyms to shut down, then follow public health guidelines when you're there. Whether or not going to the gym is a risky behavior depends on how people in there act. We can get through this mess, but only if we don't give up by pretending as if the virus has disappeared.

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Restaurants and gyms were spring ‘superspreader’ sites - STAT

"In Chicago, for example, 10% of the places people visited accounted for 85% of the predicted infections. Full-service restaurants, fitness centers, and places of worship had the highest overall risk for disease transmission."

My takeaway from this: If you don't want gyms to shut down, then follow public health guidelines when you're there. Whether or not going to the gym is a risky behavior depends on how people in there act. We can get through this mess, but only if we don't give up by pretending as if the virus has disappeared.

Gym hygiene pre covid was already shaky at best, which is why I don't trust gyms from the ppl running them to the members to stick to safety protocol

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I think part of it is also the demographic. Most people who frequent gyms are fit and healthy and assume that they're immortal and COVID-19 won't affect them. Your odds are definitely better, but you're still playing a lottery with your life and the lives of others :(

gymrat48

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
^Folks, idiots like this guy are the reason why going to the gym right now is very risky behavior.

huh? wtf....ive been back at my gym for 11 weeks now. Masks are required. They take your temperature, they have wipes and sanitizer everywhere and there has been NO case linked to my gym at all. At first it wasnt crowded but the last month or so is getting back to normal levels during peak time

Life is about risk in anything you do. I dont feel scared nor have I ever about going to my gym and I wouldnt be for a virus were 99.995% of my age group will survive

Reactions: socalfreak

gymrat48

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
7 posts in 3 years, and one of them is to belittle people who are taking precautions against a global pandemic that has already killed 1.25 million people and isn't even close to having run it's course. Posts like this just make me really sad :(

hide under your bed, the virus is after you. Stop accepting that you have shelter in place and stop doing things for 2 years for a virus where certain groups need to be protected as they are vulnerable.

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
hide under your bed, the virus is after you. Stop accepting that you have shelter in place and stop doing things for 2 years for a virus where certain groups need to be protected as they are vulnerable.
The virus already almost killed me. And I'm young with no preexisting conditions or risk factors, ate a healthy diet, was in great cardio shape and worked out every day.
But thank you for the advice. May your day be as pleasant as you are.