Have you been psychiatrically institutionalized?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ManiacalMadMan, Sep 16, 2007.

1. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

Reading another Members topic I was presented in the mind with a question about him/her (do not want to divulge Members name:smile: or gender)

Have any of our members here ever been institutionalized in a psychiatric setting and if so was it willingly or unwillingly?

If not your self has there even ever been one or more members of your family or friends who have been put in a psychiatric facillity?

2. monstro

monstro New Member

I haven't been institutionalized.

At least not yet...

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

During my junior year of high school, I was put in a hospital for 6 days. It wasn't a mental institution, per-se, but it was a regular hospital that had a mental health ward. My brother Mark was in something similar a few times in his life, but I don't have many details on that - he died when I was very young.

4. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

Sorry to read of this TMM Losing your brother must have been difficult.

Since I began this topic I guess I should answer on my own
    When I was 17 a man strongly recommended me to be put in a psychiatric unit for at least two weeks of time for my observation I was given the chance to say yes or no and decided against it This made the doctor mad and he brought in legal process on me and a judge saw his way and I was placed in a facillity for 2 months instead of the two weeks It was very bad indeed and the sheets were scratchy. I later threw cans of paint on the doctors car but he never came after me so he must have learned his lesson

I have considered at times going in again but decide it is better not to since most people never come out properly again with medications and other things which are done to them.

5. viking1

Gold Member

That's why I haven't really accepted what psychologists do. If they don't give you some kind drugs what good does listening to somebody run their mouth do? I have never grasped the idea that talk can change anything.

6. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Talk can change. Therapists don't change you. That is not their job. Their job is to enable you, and give you the problem solving skills to move forward in your life, and to make you a productive member of society.

I've never been institutionalized... I'd probably go insane without a computer somewhere in my reach.

7. mindfawk

mindfawk Member

Albums:
    I haven't served any time in a mental facility, but that's not saying that I shouldn't..

8. transformer_99

Gold Member

I work in the healthcare industry. One of our company's bigger contracts is MH. I often wonder whether those organizations are really capable of helping anyone beyond a billable encounter ?

9. snoozan

Gold Member

I would be dead without my psychiatrist, therapist, and medication, just like anyone else with a chronic, possibly fatal illness would be dead without their physicians and treatments.

If you don't buy this, read a little about the world of mental illness before anti-psychotic medications and lithium. It was bleak. Today's treatments are not perfect and if often requires a lot of trials, med changes, and difficulty, but if you take into account the number of truly mentally ill people who have been given a better quality of life with modern treatment, it's worth it.

Like all of medicine, there are some medications that are overprescribed or just plain inappropriate. Some people that would be better off working through their problems, or who are simply having a reaction to stress or pain in the range of normal may not need medication or even therapy. However, people with serious, real mental illness need these services to live and function.

10. mattyacht

mattyacht New Member

It's amazing how presumptuous the psychiatric profession can be. They will diagnose you mentally ill in ten minutes and put you on an antidepresseant and Zyprexa in a flash. I'd rather smoke pot!!!!!

11. snoozan

Gold Member

Are you implying that the crippling symptoms of active psychosis seen in schizophrenia and other mental illnesses could be treated with marijuana instead of an antipsychotic? Unfortunately, a lot of people with mental illness try to self-medicate with alcohol and drugs and end up with both mental illness and addictions which makes them even harder to treat. It's sad.

12. vinny_spiruccino

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well sort of. I was placed into a "reparative therapy" facility that specialized in ex-gay reversion therapy. It was a concentration camp operating under the guise of Christian ministry...

Draft saved Draft deleted