Have you checked YOUR vacuum bag lately??

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by IntoxicatingToxin, Jun 5, 2007.

1. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I just had a disgusting experience with my vacuum. I was trying to vacuum a couple nights ago, and it wasn't picking anything up. I changed the bag, and I cleaned the roller brush thingy. It seemed to be doing better, but still not great. I didn't bother doing anything about it at the time. So, I get motivated to clean again today, and decided to clean my bedroom. After I was done dusting and whatnot, I grab the vacuum and start vacuuming. And now it's not picking up ANYTHING. So I take the front off, to check the bag. It's still on there properly, and obviously not full. I take the bag off... and low and behold... it's totally clogged from the ground up to where it dumps into the bag. EW. So, I had to use a wire hanger and my fingers to dig out all the dog hair and dust that had tightly clumped itself into my vacuum. YUCK. So this is just a warning for everyone: Check your vacuum bags and check them often!

2. dong20

Gold Member

I know, I've accidentally hoovered up stuff and had to retrieve it and I agree it's not pretty.

My hoover has a bag that can be opened and tipped out so now it's a bit easier to retrieve that priceless item you accidentally sucked up.

3. snoozan

Gold Member

This is par for the course with animals. I am a pro with the coathanger. I even have a Dyson and it still clogs.

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Mine is one of those "bagless" models. One of their fabulous selling points is "no messy bags to deal with." But guess what? The HEPA filter has to be removed by hand and the dust knocked out of it. No messy bags? WhatEVER! Still, though, it does have the advantage of you being able to see how much junk you've vacuumed up, and retrieving objects you didn't want to dispose of.

5. danerain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a bagless too.

Am I the only one who checks the floor before they vacuum?

6. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    I also have a bagless

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I have a cat so my old Fantom Lightning has to pick up more hair than dust. I've never had it clog but I do survey the floor first for twist ties and cat toys.

8. Shelby

Gold Member

My wife takes care of that stuff.

9. D_Garmanswait Glassnads

I hardly ever hoover and we have a new vac aswell. Not had any problems since I lived with my mum. She has pets and no ability to be tidy.

10. danerain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you. When I started vacuuming, my mom would always tell me to look over the floor before I even got the vacuum out.

11. geek0

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i have a dyson too but u still have to be carefull what ur hoovering up ive had to take it to pieces to unblock it before

12. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

At the risk of sounding like I am encouraging unnecessary consumerism, bagless is definitely the way to go. It's not perfect, but it's less complicated... Anyway, I was expecting a discarded condom to be the culprit!

13. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Haha... no discarded condoms. Just my carelessness. I never think to check vacuum bags. <shrug>

14. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Oops.
    Does it have a big dick?

15. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I have a central vac... which means it goes all through my walls, and stuff. My parents have warned me for years about sucking up hay.. I never do anymore, because I'm petrified to think what they would have to go through to diagnose where the problem is, and rip apart the walls...

16. agnslz

Gold Member

You make your wife change the vacuum bags?! Sheesh. That was always considered "man's work" when I was growing up.:tongue:

17. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bagless here... I can vacuum half of my little house, and have to make an empty. Then I can do the other half. Mostly gobs and gobs of dog hair, plus lots of stuffing from the toys that have been decapitated and dismembured.

I bought the washable filters for it on Ebay. Saves me from buying $20.00 hoover replaceable cartridges, when now I paid $26 for a washable one.

But yes, you still have to knock the dust out of the filter, which can be VERY messy.

I usually take my air compressor to mine, and blow out the filter in the breeze. It gets it much cleaner.

The same goes with my re-usable furnace filter. Blow it out with compressed air, then wash it.

18. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

By all means. Hay must be raked or pitchforked for best efficiency. Especially that pesky weedy detritus on the livingroom carpet caused by the stray bale or two.

19. B_Kshelby67

B_Kshelby67 New Member

I'm poor and have a really dinky apartment, so I own this $10 vaccum thing that I have to empty after every use. It does a really shitty job of picking up all the door hair that static clings itself to my equally cheap carpets, so I have a rubber broom (as I like to call it: Wubba Bwoom) that does an awesome job at taking it off.

20. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    I was expecting a troll thread, from the preview:

"I just had a disgusting experience with my vacuum. I was trying to vacuum a couple nig..."

I see right through you're subliminal messages. :wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted