Have you ever been Hypnotized?

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

My only issue with this is that she makes the suggestibility of the subconscious sound similar to that of the impaired mind under the influence of substances. From what I've read, while intoxicated people can be influenced to do really stupid things that are against their interests, even in a hypnotic state one will refuse act in a harmful way or against one's interests. (There are potential exceptions to that but they constitute an extreme minority.)

I've never been hypnotized, but I was once part of a show. Unfortunately, I happened to be sitting in the front row. He had hypnotized six people on stage. Then he called me up to interact with one of them. Got a lot of laughs. Lots of boobs comments and innuendos. I know I blushed like crazy. Got free tickets to a show though!

Ever notice how magicians never ask you what trick you would like them to perform? Very good and at time excellent and at the tricks they wish to do or approach the audience with. But have yet to see a magico or a hypno say to an audience... Which trick...or illusion would you like me to perform right now?

I went to see a hypnotherapist once, I don't think it worked, I just felt bored and awkward : /

VampireBear

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have been, a couple of times. I also have a master's degree in psychology, and took a course on it, so have also hypnotized others a few times. There is a significant difference between the performance hypnotists you see on stage, for laughs, and the hypnotherapists who can sometimes help with other issues.
And it does not work for everybody; and it can help with a lot of things.
(just trying to clear up some basic assumptions a lot of people seem to have).

And I do take volunteers...

Reactions: malakos

jjsjr

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have been, a couple of times. I also have a master's degree in psychology, and took a course on it, so have also hypnotized others a few times. There is a significant difference between the performance hypnotists you see on stage, for laughs, and the hypnotherapists who can sometimes help with other issues.
And it does not work for everybody; and it can help with a lot of things.
(just trying to clear up some basic assumptions a lot of people seem to have).

And I do take volunteers...

gotta love assumptions! hehe.

care to elaborate on any?

VampireBear

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've heard some common assumptions, like "It'll never work on me," (when almost everyone has already experienced hypnotic states at one time or another in life...ever 'lose time' when driving? Get so deep into a daydream that it almost seemed real for a minute? These are similar states of mind).
Or "I don't want to give up control"...when in actuality it's a state of focused attention, not "sleeping" or "being controlled."
Or "all it's good for is making people cluck like a chicken"...when it has helped people with all kinds of things (from creativity to pain management to smoking cessation...physical fitness of all kinds, really...even cured a case of warts - seriously!)

Milton Erickson compiled a book of some of his experiences using hypnosis: "And my voice will go with you"....it's an enlightening read!

Reactions: malakos