Have you ever been so poor

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I see there are lots of unforseen situations you can not prepare for.

I mean I have been to some poor countries in latin america and all the food those people got was the food they themselves grew with the only store at 200 miles away or something if they even had the money.
I wouldn't call them poor because they made the best with they can do.
But in the western world I can not understand this concept of being too poor to have something to eat.
We have lots of kind people in our environment who are willing to share and even the homeless are getting decent meals every day, so why can't people who own a home, cellphone, 50" tv, pc, 10 different pair of shoes, fancy jewelry, get something to eat?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the problem just pride and luxury in most cases?

I apologize if I'm disrespecting anyone, the example I'm using are of people in my direct environment.

Your description of people in your direct environment unfortunately didn't apply to us back then. We had no method of growing our own food (it was a flat, no sills for even a flower pot!) those around us were some of the most disturbed and disturbing people we've ever encountered who are more in keeping with one of your previous descriptions of those who place drugs and alcohol above everything else.

I'd agree that in a lot of cases it comes down to pride and luxury, but not all cases. The systems are set up to help people who tick certain boxes, and those who fail to tick them are assumed to be doing well enough to not require help from others, which is often far from being the case.

ameagledude

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
My roomie installed an A/C in his room, and when we found a cheaper house, we moved, and he didn't fix the hole. We also didn't pay the electric bill cuz it hadn't come yet. Then the landlord sued us for the damage and because he hadn't been able to rent it right away. When payday came it was all we paid and were left with zero money to eat, to get around, etc... A friend of mine lent me money, but it wasn't enough. I was eating once a day for like a week. :(

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Unfortunately Yes,In last Balcans war. Fortunately, we had humanitarian aid,to keep us alive.
I have been asked more than once about war times in the ex Yugoslavia by several very informed and very educated LPSG members. Idk why, but my answer would always be something like-"Nah, it wasn`t that bad..." It still fucking burns!

Last edited:

hifzija

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Doboj (Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Why did you answer that way.You knowledge about that war is similar as mine.
I understand that some people from Europe and USA,do not want to hear the truth,and how their country involved in this war. But,I think that truth is only `sure` way.
Or you just do not want to remember that.(In this case,I understand).

Yes, and if it wasn't for some good friends, I would have gone hungry. I sure couldn't go to my selfish father for any help. That was 16 years ago when I was studying in university. I have never and will never forget what it's like to not know where your next meal is coming from.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Why did you answer that way.You knowledge about that war is similar as mine.
I understand that some people from Europe and USA,do not want to hear the truth,and how their country involved in this war. But,I think that truth is only `sure` way.
Or you just do not want to remember that.(In this case,I understand).
Why? Because it hurts like hell. And what does to 'know the truth' even mean! And these were some really educated individuals, they haven`t bothered me with their questions, they wanted to know how I survived. And speaking about the truth, are you 100% sure that you and I know the truth? The things I believe are only the things I have seen with my own eyes, and experienced on my own skin!

hifzija

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Why? Because it hurts like hell. And what does to 'know the truth' even mean! And these were some really educated individuals, they haven`t bothered me with their questions, they wanted to know how I survived. And speaking about the truth, are you 100% sure that you and I know the truth? The things I believe are only the things I have seen with my own eyes, and experienced on my own skin!

Partly agree with you.But my answers would never be like yours "Nah, it wasn`t that bad...".I survived the whole war in Bosnia,been on both sides of the line of demarcation.
As you said The things I believe are only the things I have seen with my own eyes, and experienced on my own skin!,and i I will not keep silent about this.
Of course,this is my opinion.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Partly agree with you.But my answers would never be like yours "Nah, it wasn`t that bad...".I survived the whole war in Bosnia,been on both sides of the line of demarcation.
As you said The things I believe are only the things I have seen with my own eyes, and experienced on my own skin!,and i I will not keep silent about this.
Of course,this is my opinion.
I guess we deal with thing differently! :smile:
I don`t think there`s a point dwelling over the past! It has happened, I will not let it haunt me! (I`m not saying you are...)
A, inace, slabo odgovaram sada jer perem prozore!!! :biggrin1:

Last edited:

august86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There but for the grace of god ....
Powerful words, that, if we all had it in the back of out minds, we'd never waste or take things for granted again.

The only real poor people I've ever seen were in DC sitting on top of a sewer outlet because the steam coming from the pipes was the only thing that would keep them warm and it was a horrible smell but they endured it because they had nothing.

I believe being poor or not having anything to eat is a choice in these days but then again I have never been poor.
Many people become poor, by action or by circumstance as mentioned by some posters, Monst3r, but those you're referring to are not poor, they just don't know the value of money, which causes them to make bad choices.
IMO: Someone is poor when they don't have an income, when there's no forseeable "light at the end of the tunnel".

Those I feel the most sadness for are those who never stood a chance of having a decent life. Those who dropped out of school at an early age, those who've never known financial stability because their immediate thought was always confined to their present hunger.

I believe being poor or not having anything to eat is a choice in these days but then again I have never been poor.

You have got to be kidding me.. Yes, I chose to be homeless and starving in Detroit, Michigan. In the winter. Granted, getting pregnant was a stupid awful careless mistake on my part, but the rest? I job hunted, I applied for benefits, I did most everything I could and still I slept on a park bench, in a door way, was told I was a sinner and going to burn in hell just so I could have some BREAD to eat.

parr

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You have got to be kidding me.. Yes, I chose to be homeless and starving in Detroit, Michigan. In the winter. Granted, getting pregnant was a stupid awful careless mistake on my part, but the rest? I job hunted, I applied for benefits, I did most everything I could and still I slept on a park bench, in a door way, was told I was a sinner and going to burn in hell just so I could have some BREAD to eat.

I hope things got better for you, since then. Are you doing ok now?:biggrin1:

I hope things got better for you, since then. Are you doing ok now?:biggrin1:

I've had a stable place to live for five years now, my last job was in the legal field, and my child is well taken care of. Thank you for asking :)

hifzija

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I guess we deal with thing differently! :smile:
I don`t think there`s a point dwelling over the past! It has happened, I will not let it haunt me! (I`m not saying you are...)
A, inace, slabo odgovaram sada jer perem prozore!!! :biggrin1:

No,bro`.I don`t want haunt you,sorry if you get me that way,not my intention.We just have different opinion.
I pazi bogati,nemoj da mi padnes kroz prozor,s kim će se onda zajebavat` na LPSG-u. haha:biggrin1:

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
I was homeless for a few weeks - a couple of nights rough, where I just wound up walking around - & a myriad of friends sofas where I crashed for 1 night a week. That was pretty fucked up - not knowing at 8pm if, or where, you're gonna find a place to crash, & not wanting to abuse anyone's hospitality.

I've been abjectly poor & in debt - but worked my ass off, & moved all over the show , & did all kinds of jobs, in order to make sure that I'd never be in that situation again.

Food? I'd rather have had a packet of cigarettes!

marriedasian

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
i can attest to some pretty bad times in my life but none to the point that i was without food. i cannot imagine what it feels like to be in a situation like that.

i can remember a couple of months in my life when i lived in an empty apartment, literally. all i could afford at the time was the rent and very little food, plus bare toiletries to get by each day. i had 3 sets of clothes, a cooking pan, and some plastic plates/forks to my name. i slept on the floor each night. i was always so afraid of what life was gonna throw at me and therefore was so careful as i went about my day every day.

i know this isn't as bad as what others have said but to me this was one of the worse things to have ever happened to me in my life. i have worse stories to tell but i don't like visiting those times. i don't ever want to know what it feels like to not know where you're going to eat today or tomorrow. i don't wish it on anyone.

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
i know this isn't as bad as what others have said but to me this was one of the worse things to have ever happened to me in my life. i have worse stories to tell but i don't like visiting those times. i don't ever want to know what it feels like to not know where you're going to eat today or tomorrow. i don't wish it on anyone.

You're a survivor man. I hope that you've used your experience (ultimately) to differentiate between what's really important, & what isn't. Don't sweat the small stuff in life, because you know how bad the bigger stuff can get.

The world on a large scale, or on a smaller personal scale, can get turned upside down, just like that (clicks fingers). Anyone who's been through severe misfortune, & come out Ok, is better suited to any future mishaps than people who've never suffered & fought their way through that bleak misery & come out smiling.

Don't let memories of the past make you afraid of the future, KNOW, & have the confidence, that you have the strength to overcome anything that life can throw at you - you've done it before, & you will do it again.

The things I believe are only the things I have seen with my own eyes, and experienced on my own skin!

I'd hate to have gone what you must have gone through! Then again my mom, grandparents, great grandparents etc, gave me a bloody good idea! My own first hand experiences of bombs exploding & guns are pitiful in comparison.

Last edited:

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
ouple of brief periods only ... unfortunately
not long enuf to teach me anything
Fasted in Lieu not the same, knew food was just around the corner.
enz