Have you ever been told "we dont serve your kind"

jcjb2002

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Several years ago, when I was a performer, I was working in South Texas and after a show.. about 20 of us headed out to breakfast. A group arrived first and was seated, this included my Mother and her friends.. and when we arrived, the Manager greeted us at the entrance by saying we dont serve your kind here. The other group left their table and food orders then walked out with us.

Until the day I die I will remember the embarrassment and humiliation.

Can anyone else relate?

Prejudice and Homophobia is still rampant in the world, as a victim I changed my way of thinking... not that I was prejudiced before this incident.. but I think twice about any comments or actions now.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
He meant gay. Gay with large genitals.[/quote]

*chuckle*

but you would think that this day in age, shit like that would cease to exist. it's sad, ain't it? persecuting someone for a genuine quality about them. with people like that, you just have to ignore them and hope that one day they will see their error.

sinsinasty

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
He meant gay. Gay with large genitals.

I'm gay but if someone said they didnt serve my kind here and I had a big dick and it was like falling out of my pants, they would probably be doing the right thing because that wouldnt be appropriate for certain situations.

I mean if I had big tits I wouldnt go to a five star restaurants with one of my nipples showing

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I always see that sign in restaurants - "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." I think they buy the sign at restaurant supply stores. But the think is I have never seen it enforced.

I always thought that it was a way out for restaurants to protect themselves from being stiffed by shady characters or meant for drunks, smelly people, and women who wear too much perfume - never would I imagine it would be used against gay people.

Maybe you should release a jar of cockroaches into that restaurant. They would be a great improvement to the place.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A female friend and I were in a gay bar with two gay friends in Manchester's gay village and we were told we couldn't drink in the ordinary lounge area, if we wanted to stay there we had to go upstairs to the lady's room. Needless to say we went on to the next bar. I thought this was rather stupid especially as it wasn't advertised in any way as specifically a male gay bar.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, but I have received snail slow service to just plain lousy service in restaurants when I date white guys.

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No, but I have received snail slow service to just plain lousy service in restaurants when I date white guys.
I actually get this a lot (no the dating the white guy part, sadly XD). Especially in "those" neighborhoods. >_> It's thrilling to watch someone get their food before you (with their family) when you came in 15 minutes earlier, alone... >_>

Whopper-lee

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes...I have been told this or just ignored with no service...but Mississippi
has come a long ways now days.
You learn the places to go and not to go....being black here.
You can just sense or feel it in the atmosphere.
Aint nothin new for me brotha!
Come walk in my shoes.
Perhap you should have said, you did ask for it or see it on the menu either.:wink:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

On a related note, I've also been accused of being racist in the speed of my service by customers when I worked at a Denny's, which was absolutely ridiculous. Most of the customers we got in that restaurant were "minorities," including all the ones that had come in before the table that was complaining and were still waiting on food themselves. I had to stifle a laugh as they threatened to sue me over it.

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My mother, sister and 3 year old brother came to Norfolk, Va. to greet my ship (aircraft carrier) when it came into port after a year at sea, and I was to begin a 14day leave visiting with my family.

We went to their hotel to overnight before the long driving home in another state. That night we went down the street from the hotel to an Italian Restaurant for a celebratory dinner. We entered and took a table and waited for service. After being ignored for 20 to 30 minutes (it was a
busy night so we tried not to be impatient), but we were all very hungry.

I was unable to catch the eye of any of the waiters so got up and asked one how long it would be. I was told "never, we don't serve sailors in this restaurant, check the sign at the entrance." I was incredulous since this was a Navy town and I would have imagined businesses relied on military business. I guess I was wrong. We didn't make a fuss, but left and went elsewhere. On the way out I saw the "small" sign in the window which read: "Military not served here." Unbelievable how some act towards the military! Discrimination is unlawful now for ALL people, and good riddence!

sinsinasty

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My mother, sister and 3 year old brother came to Norfolk, Va. to greet my ship (aircraft carrier) when it came into port after a year at sea, and I was to begin a 14day leave visiting with my family.

We went to their hotel to overnight before the long driving home in another state. That night we went down the street from the hotel to an Italian Restaurant for a celebratory dinner. We entered and took a table and waited for service. After being ignored for 20 to 30 minutes (it was a
busy night so we tried not to be impatient), but we were all very hungry.

I was unable to catch the eye of any of the waiters so got up and asked one how long it would be. I was told "never, we don't serve sailors in this restaurant, check the sign at the entrance." I was incredulous since this was a Navy town and I would have imagined businesses relied on military business. I guess I was wrong. We didn't make a fuss, but left and went elsewhere. On the way out I saw the "small" sign in the window which read: "Military not served here." Unbelievable how some act towards the military! Discrimination is unlawful now for ALL people, and good riddence!

wow way to take it out on the people who are serving our freaking country! some people have no respect

jcjb2002

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks everyone for their postings.. it is interesting to discuss.. horrible to experience. I cannot imagine what others have endures..

To clarify, it was a Gay thing.. although I am well above average in the package dept.. I doubt he was checking out my package the Manager met us at the door. They saw us coming through the window to the parking lot. We were not loud, not flaming.. not drunk.. just hungry. My Mom was sitting with a friend who was African-American, and another Hispanic man. The restaurant just didnt want "our kind" there.

It truly caught me off guard... but it remains something that I wont forget.

This isnt saying anyone else doesnt have it worse.. many do. I have been ignored in shops cause I am close to my husband, given attitude, poor service, called names.. but this one stuck out for some reason.

PS I will say once in Shreveport Louisiana that we were told by our friend we couldnt get out of the car at the Chicken Shack cause they would beat us up.. but that came from a friend and we knew what we were in for to go get some bird. he got a 12 piece for us and we happily went on our way. Not too much open in Shreveport at 2 am as far as food is concerned..

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I know I have already posted, but I forgot that earlier tonight I was reminded of something that happened a number of years ago.

I decided that I wanted to visit a popular bar that whose clientele were both gay and lesbian. That was all that I knew about it at the time. When I arrived, I entered and found that the room had mostly women, but it was early and I thought maybe the guys would be arriving later.

I went to the bar, said hello to a few of the women and tried to order a beer. I was told immediately "you are in the wrong place, you have to leave." I was unaware that the place was divided into two sections with a movable wall and that I had entered through the wrong door, the Lesbian side of the bar.

It seems that women were on one side and men on the other. If the lights started flashing, it meant the police were on the way (a police dispatcher was paid off to call ahead and give warning), the walls would open up and the men and women would mingle. When the police arrived, there were only couples there.

So, yes, I was told "we don't serve your kind (a man) here," though in a little nicer and different language. :biggrin1:

huw ginnit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Unfortunately dispite the laws and attitude on the most part rejecting prejudice and bigotry, there is a large sector of people who will choose to defend their right to "moral indignation" for all kinds of reasons to all kinds of effects as they think they are morally superior, to those of us who are accepting, thinking that "we" have given in somehow and they are defending "honour" or rectitude....they are in fact repressed in themsleves and always remember that....

Where safety's been a concern I always avoid confrontation, but when I was being harangued by "straights" by the taxi rank in Manchester's Gay Village, we (the other gay guys and girls,about 20-25 of us) turned en masse and gave them a taste of their own medicine-ridiculing them making jokes at their expense... I have never felt so proud, or a part of my "community" or so well cared for, it was an empowering feeling to give as good as I got that night...and it only goes to show how stupid bigots are to start something like that in that situation.

I always think it is a shame when people leave a small town, or close nit community so that they can "be themselves" but no-one should put themselves at risk of attack.

Be careful where ever you are, we love you, other's; you can never be sure of.

lafever

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My father was drafted into the service and became a vietnam vet, he was a war hero and saved the lives of many, later he whent on to work for the goverment as a civilian contractor, when i was a teenager my family got a house in a nice neighborhood in fairfax county virginia as my father worked directly with the pentagon. To make a long story short, one of the kids in the neigborhood spit in my face and told me that he wasn`t aloud to play with me because his parents said that my family didn`t belong in the neighborhood. Later in high school i beat the shit out of him in football practice along with another spoiled little brat that was his best friend, his friend had stolen my lawn cutting customers because his dad bought him a lawn mower with a 48 inch deck and he could bid under me as it took him half the time to cut a lawn. The one who bid under me and took my lawn cutting money quit right away as i sacked him every play in practice, i was the middle linebacker on defense and he played quarterback. The one that spit in my face was a little tougher, he lasted longer because he was fast and played split end, but i put some really good licks on him. Needless to say they both ended up quiting and doing something else. They should`ve known not to f**k with a scorpio.:rolleyes:

lafever

cazz669

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I stayed with some friends in Missisipi for a few weeks and the religious folk didnt take to me once they found out im mixed race, plus the tattoos didnt go down too well either, there was this ma and pa kinda diner bout 30 min drive from their place and had been there couple times and then one time I walked in and they ahd a word with my mate, he came back over and said id been asked to leave. RANDOM lol