Have you ever been told "we dont serve your kind"

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
I'm gay but if someone said they didnt serve my kind here and I had a big dick and it was like falling out of my pants, they would probably be doing the right thing because that wouldnt be appropriate for certain situations.

I mean if I had big tits I wouldnt go to a five star restaurants with one of my nipples showing

that would make the restaurant worth all five stars...

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
you know I don't agree with discrimination but how did he know just by looking at you that you where gay?

jcjb2002

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
you know I don't agree with discrimination but how did he know just by looking at you that you where gay?

Other than a group of young men.. who knows? I think we all had on levi 501's and polo or tshirts. Possibly someone had a tshirt with a club name on it.. but no one was acting silly or affectionate... I am effeminate but I have seen southern ministers with hair to the ceiling and more jewelry on than Liberace that claim to be straight.

I am not sure...

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes. Gucci on the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri. I walked around the corner to my uncle's office (he's an attorney). He made a call and the manager sounded stunned and said he would "deal" with the employee immediately. A day later I was called by my uncle and I went over to his office. We phoned Gucci and the manager we had spoken to said it had been handled. I asked "So you did fire her?" He said no and I said not good enough and I would be proceeding with more legal action.

After letters to their corporate offices, the BBB, and a couple of local media stations, three weeks after the incident, I recieved a courier box with two Gucci watches, a letter of apology, and an invitation to re-open the account I closed by sending my clipped card to them with my letter of disgust. My uncle had received a copy of the offending employees termination.

I did not re-open my account, I have not bought Gucci since, my entire family closed their accounts with them, and the watches you ask? Well, Gemma loved wearing them on our daily walks. They only became a problem when she would run in the mud. Did I mention Gemma was my pet Keeshond? I let everyone who asked know why my dog wore those watches and even paraded her by Gucci a few times. I'm such an ass. :biggrin1:

And I'm just saying this as the statement made comes across very poorly, but anyone who says it "feels good" to be a part of a racist majority is no better than the racists themselves. I don't condone racism in ANY form. People are people and I have tried to live my life ignoring color divides. My children are also taught the same.

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
Other than a group of young men.. who knows? I think we all had on levi 501's and polo or tshirts. Possibly someone had a tshirt with a club name on it.. but no one was acting silly or affectionate... I am effeminate but I have seen southern ministers with hair to the ceiling and more jewelry on than Liberace that claim to be straight.

I am not sure...

perhaps he was gay to and his gaydar alterted him....

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
not sure I agree with you insisting on the Employee being fired
for all you know she was doing what managment told her to
in fact that probubly was what happend

I work in retail and at one job the black lady who ran the place (quite the tyrant) used to use the N word regularly and told us to keep our eyes on all the black customers....
what the hell are you going to do as an employee, tell your Dm that your black manager has prejudice against black people?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was unable to catch the eye of any of the waiters so got up and asked one how long it would be. I was told "never, we don't serve sailors in this restaurant, check the sign at the entrance." I was incredulous since this was a Navy town and I would have imagined businesses relied on military business. I guess I was wrong. We didn't make a fuss, but left and went elsewhere. On the way out I saw the "small" sign in the window which read: "Military not served here." Unbelievable how some act towards the military! Discrimination is unlawful now for ALL people, and good riddence!

Dear God! That is unbelievable! I can't believe they get away with that crap in this day and age. :mad: I grew up near Earle NWS and all the local businesses loved it when the ships came docked.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
not sure I agree with you insisting on the Employee being fired
for all you know she was doing what managment told her to
in fact that probubly was what happend

I work in retail and at one job the black lady who ran the place (quite the tyrant) used to use the N word regularly and told us to keep our eyes on all the black customers....
what the hell are you going to do as an employee, tell your Dm that your black manager has prejudice against black people?

Several of my family and myself had shopped at that store before and never had a problem. The store manager was also let go after the debacle. Seems they were the two new ones and were racist, the rest of the staff knew us and would have helped us. It appeared the only reason the manager tried to appease us was so he could keep his job. Maybe high handed, but it got the point across.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I always see that sign in restaurants - "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." I think they buy the sign at restaurant supply stores. But the think is I have never seen it enforced.

Those signs are bunk.

I once thought the same as you did: The owner was simply asserting the right to boot anyone stealing, vandalizing, causing a ruckus, underage, loitering, inappropriately dressed, or otherwise creating a bad situation. I never thought much of it.

But then refusal happened to me.

I realize straight, white guys like me don't receive much discrimination but I was once rudely refused service in a small town restaurant in northern California. The reason: I was driving my mother's VW that had a "Sierra Club" bumper sticker on it. The crackers in this small minded timber town didn't like the Sierra Club because of its stance on timber harvesting. They basically told me to get lost, with a veiled threat of violence if I didn't comply quickly.

I was really pissed off but there was nothing I could do since I was on their turf and a long ways from home.

dopeyco123

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I always see that sign in restaurants - "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." I think they buy the sign at restaurant supply stores. But the think is I have never seen it enforced.

I always thought that it was a way out for restaurants to protect themselves from being stiffed by shady characters or meant for drunks, smelly people, and women who wear too much perfume - never would I imagine it would be used against gay people.

Maybe you should release a jar of cockroaches into that restaurant. They would be a great improvement to the place.
I think they can only get away with this legally if they are some kind of exclusive club. Otherwise your rules should be posted:

• no shirt , no shoes-no service...etc.
  • no wife beater shirts
  • no wife beaters
  • no small endowed men
  • no fish
Thanks everyone for their postings.. it is interesting to discuss.. horrible to experience. I cannot imagine what others have endures..

To clarify, it was a Gay thing.. although I am well above average in the package dept.. I doubt he was checking out my package the Manager met us at the door. They saw us coming through the window to the parking lot. We were not loud, not flaming.. not drunk.. just hungry. My Mom was sitting with a friend who was African-American, and another Hispanic man. The restaurant just didnt want "our kind" there.

It truly caught me off guard... but it remains something that I wont forget.

This isnt saying anyone else doesnt have it worse.. many do. I have been ignored in shops cause I am close to my husband, given attitude, poor service, called names.. but this one stuck out for some reason.

PS I will say once in Shreveport Louisiana that we were told by our friend we couldnt get out of the car at the Chicken Shack cause they would beat us up.. but that came from a friend and we knew what we were in for to go get some bird. he got a 12 piece for us and we happily went on our way. Not too much open in Shreveport at 2 am as far as food is concerned..

IDK but it almost sounds like you were trying to walk in wearing full fledged camp drag - especially if they clocked you from the parking lot?

Just find another place to eat, and write a letter to the editor of your local paper.

There's no publicity like bad publicity!

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was in an interracial gay relationship for 12 years. Yes, we were refused service several times.

It made me think twice about the privileges I had (until then) taken for granted as a tall White well-educated male with a deep voice. I think it would be difficult for me to avoid a loud, even physical confrontation with a redneck White cop if I were Black and profiled frequently for "driving while Black" or "shopping while Black."

NCbear (who has personally seen "driving while Black" and "shopping while Black" incidents too many times to deny that plenty of bigotry still exists here in the good ole US of A)

arliss

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Thanks everyone for their postings.. it is interesting to discuss.. horrible to experience. I cannot imagine what others have endures..

To clarify, it was a Gay thing.. although I am well above average in the package dept.. I doubt he was checking out my package the Manager met us at the door. They saw us coming through the window to the parking lot. We were not loud, not flaming.. not drunk.. just hungry. My Mom was sitting with a friend who was African-American, and another Hispanic man. The restaurant just didnt want "our kind" there.

It truly caught me off guard... but it remains something that I wont forget.

This isnt saying anyone else doesnt have it worse.. many do. I have been ignored in shops cause I am close to my husband, given attitude, poor service, called names.. but this one stuck out for some reason.

PS I will say once in Shreveport Louisiana that we were told by our friend we couldnt get out of the car at the Chicken Shack cause they would beat us up.. but that came from a friend and we knew what we were in for to go get some bird. he got a 12 piece for us and we happily went on our way. Not too much open in Shreveport at 2 am as far as food is concerned..

how did the manager know you and your friends were gay? I am asking this because you never specified ..and I haven't a clue as to how you look in public...

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yes. Gucci on the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri. I walked around the corner to my uncle's office (he's an attorney). He made a call and the manager sounded stunned and said he would "deal" with the employee immediately. A day later I was called by my uncle and I went over to his office. We phoned Gucci and the manager we had spoken to said it had been handled. I asked "So you did fire her?" He said no and I said not good enough and I would be proceeding with more legal action.

After letters to their corporate offices, the BBB, and a couple of local media stations, three weeks after the incident, I recieved a courier box with two Gucci watches, a letter of apology, and an invitation to re-open the account I closed by sending my clipped card to them with my letter of disgust. My uncle had received a copy of the offending employees termination.

I did not re-open my account, I have not bought Gucci since, my entire family closed their accounts with them, and the watches you ask? Well, Gemma loved wearing them on our daily walks. They only became a problem when she would run in the mud. Did I mention Gemma was my pet Keeshond? I let everyone who asked know why my dog wore those watches and even paraded her by Gucci a few times. I'm such an ass. :biggrin1:

And I'm just saying this as the statement made comes across very poorly, but anyone who says it "feels good" to be a part of a racist majority is no better than the racists themselves. I don't condone racism in ANY form. People are people and I have tried to live my life ignoring color divides. My children are also taught the same.

One time I worked in a restaurant of a hotel near Newark Airport. A young black couple walked in as we were closing. The man insisted on sitting in an area that had already been closed. I was taking their order and the man wanted a Rueben sandwich with coleslaw instead of saurkraut. I told him I would check with the kitchen. The kitchen refused to make it, as they were closing too. I went back to them and asked if they wanted to order something else. The man was very mad, but the lady was nice and seemed embarrassed by the guy she was with. They did not want anything else and left. The man later lied and said that I called him the N word under my breath. I was suspended for 3 days. I should have sued the company I worked for, but I didn't. It was very embarrassing for me to return to work since I had many black friends and co-workers that I work with. (Haitians, an African-Amercian Muslim, other African Americans and a few from the Carribbean)

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Being told that we don't accept your kind is not done in Northeast NJ.

In Manhattan it is my understanding that Lesbian bars do not let men in.