Have you ever been "Yank Bashed"?

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In addition, I had a somewhat pronounced Philadelphia accent at that point and pronounced things a bit differently -
Ouch - a trial by fire.
he constantly corrected the way I spoke and told me that I spoke like a "commoner"
Yes, a much bigger deal there then here. Whenever English newsreaders talk about "bunk bulances", other Englishmen the world over cringe. The view of class is different from ours, and accent is one of the clues they look for. Downright weird, seen from here. There are several entertaining and reasonably informative books on that very topic. The late Jill Tweedie's was decent.
they asked me questions about growing up in the US, about my family, about living in New York City and about other American things. I was the first American that most of them had met, and even though my Ex was living in the US, I was "the real deal" and had a different perspective on it all
What they ask me is why so much American money goes to the IRA. All I can do is explain a bit about the federal system and the (usually) limited powers of state and federal governments, and how the Bill of Rights permits Boston faux-Irish to hold parades supporting their fund drives. But I'm afraid I can't make it sound very convincing.

CPearl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I experienced the opposite in school - I annoyed my American teachers when I (unknowingly) used the British spelling of several words. I'd read far too much Jane Austen, etc. as a child and picked up 'bad' habits...
----
I once worked with a girl who kept mispronouncing my first name, which is Italian. It never really bothered me, as she was British, and the Brits often mispronounce Italian words. One day, a co-worker said 'You're saying her name wrong.' The posh Brit girl puffed up like a pigeon and said 'Well, it is my language...' I couldn't resist. 'Tracy, I didn't know you were Italian..."
---
I performed in Britain a few years ago. I couldn't wait for someone to finally tell me they loved my accent... I was there five weeks, and no one ever did!
---

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes indeed. Not the impression one might get from the supplements about English-language education sometimes bundled in with overseas editions of some English papers, such as (just to throw out a random example) my old favorite, the Guardian. They'd be horrified by the notion that the tail really isn't wagging the dog, and hasn't been since about WW1.

Random my ass...:smile:

If Americans were in the business of being deliberately annoying, the second and third stanzas of the national anthem would be performed regularly; they're suppressed solely in the interests of international amity. Oh, the sacrifices we make to promote the Concert of Nations.

Really? I thought it was because so few knew them, or had the patience or will to listen, what with them being so awfully twee and all. Yes, that was also sarcasm btw. :tongue:

Though I'm sometimes tempted to be a bit more assertive - nay, belligerent - when some British twit gets shirty about "Americanisms". (There: back on thread.)

Me too, when some Arrogant Yank tells me how the US was/is/has the first/Best/Biggest....<insert list of Hollywood fairy tales here> when it's manifestly and demonstrably untrue.

Still, as NIC says it's usually in good humour, and if not; well that's just sad.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes, a much bigger deal there then here. Whenever English newsreaders talk about "bunk bulances", other Englishmen the world over cringe. The view of class is different from ours, and accent is one of the clues they look for. Downright weird, seen from here.

We do the same thing BD, to an extent. Someone who speaks with a thick southern drawl or with the intonation and pronunciation used in many inner cities will be seen as unsophisticated or uneducated by many simply based on their accent.

I experienced the opposite in school - I annoyed my American teachers when I (unknowingly) used the British spelling of several words. .......... The posh Brit girl puffed up like a pigeon and said 'Well, it is my language...' I couldn't resist. 'Tracy, I didn't know you were Italian..."

I did the same thing (using British spelling when I was younger) after reading a lot of C.S. Lewis and Roald Dahl. Though I figured out the difference on my own.

Your anecdote about your name reminds me of a recent argument with my aformentioned English friend Andy. We were taking turns ridiculing each other for the way we each pronounced "pasta." I pointed out the vowel he was using doesn't even occur in Italian. He responded that we weren't in Italy.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We do the same thing BD, to an extent. Someone who speaks with a thick southern drawl or with the intonation and pronunciation used in many inner cities will be seen as unsophisticated or uneducated by many simply based on their accent.
There seems to be far more to it than that. However I'm not in a postion to speak with any degree of authority on the topic - hence my citation of Tweedie, who was at least a native.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...I pointed out the vowel he was using doesn't even occur in Italian. He responded that we weren't in Italy.

Sounds like someone I used to know, also called Andy as it happens. He used to be in the Army then joined the Merseyside Police. I've not seen him in years.

Very logical us scousers!!:smile:

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sounds like someone I used to know, also called Andy as it happens. He used to be in the Army then joined the Merseyside Police. I've not seen him in years.

Very logical us scousers!!:smile:

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A Calm down. :biggrin1:

Next Wednesday Dong - world supremacy.

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was talking about myself. But congratulations anyway.:smile:

You mean county right. Well yes you're right in strict terms but I was talking at the macro not micro level, there are dialects down to village level.

I think it's reasonable to use the term British English, as one would say Australian English and American English. One can dig deeper but then while the variations found may be more pronounced they are narrower in scope.

You telling me Scouse English is the same as East Glasgow english?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You telling me Scouse English is the same as East Glasgow english?

Huh? How did you conclude that from:

"You mean county right. Well yes you're right in strict terms but I was talking at the macro not micro level, there are dialects down to village level.

I think it's reasonable to use the term British English, as one would say Australian English and American English. One can dig deeper but then while the variations found may be more pronounced they are narrower in scope."

KYJenni

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What I do believe you have come across is a chav speaking in the form of "chav speak".

What is a chav I hear the Americans cry?

'chav' (slang) - a young person, often without a high level of education, who follows a particular fashion; Chavs usually wear designer labels including the chav favourite 'Burberry', and if they’re girls, very short skirts, large hoop earrings and stilettos.
Chavs see branded baseball caps as a status symbol and wear them at every opportunity. Normally found hanging around shopping centres.
Also known as Townies, Kevs, Hood Rats, Charvers, Steeks, Stigs, Bazzas, Yarcos, Ratboys, Chorer, Skangers, Scutters, Janners, Kappa Slappers, Scallies, and Spides. Also known as Neds in Scotland, knackers & skangers in Ireland, and Guidos in the USA. Definition from Urban Dictionary.

I have found a very useful tool if you ever need to communicate back to this moron in his own language... Translator (Chavs)

If the Yank Basher Chav type ever pops up again why not try hitting him with this...

aye fort aye wud try n communic8 in ur common 2ngue of
chav speak. BRAP! id like 2 take da opor2ntee 2 tell u 2 go
fuk urself

Then try and find out where he lives, I'd like to go put some
birth control in his water supply, chavs breed like rabbits
and we're trying to control their numbers.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The larger question is "Why are some people so blatantly rude to others about the words they use when they are simply trying to communicate -- regardless of the language or country of origin?"

It's not just the Brits. My first experience with this behavior was on an order form form for one of my mother's books. The helpful American chap had put a line through the word "cheque" and replaced it with "check" as a payment method.

I suspect it's just an easy way for a person to make themselves feel superior to another.

The view of class is different from ours, and accent is one of the clues they look for.

Class conciousness exists the world over in one form or another, it's true. But since joining this site I've been chatting with several people from all over Europe and North America and I have noticed more of a tone of this from the Brits I've spoken to. I've wondered if it's to do with being the original superpower (original modernsuperpower at any rate) or that they are a country so identified by their monarchy (peerage=peer pressure?).

It's certainly not true of one and all. I've been having regular conversations for nearly a year with one bloke who has never once made me feel 'less than'. And that's without having to carefully choose his words the way I sense others have done.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Blue Ridge Mountain - I went to school in Dublin - and we were taught the the Hiberno-English was a more grammatically exact form of the language - I think you'll find teachers in Aus explaining why the Aussie form is best, and teachers in Torronto explaining why 'aboot' is a more exact pronunciation - in short - it is all a load of BS. There are many different types of English and they are all of the 'now'. None of them more or less 'correct' than the others...

Oh no you di'in't! :mad: :confused:

You won't find that because we really don't say it that way!
That is a filthy rumour started by the 'mericans.

My turn for pedantry.

Toronto. Only one R
If you want to pronounce it like some of the locals it comes out as Teranna/ Tranna. Or in modern parlance "The T-dot". :rolleyes:

You know what? Scratch that.

If you've an Irish lilt, lass, they'll adore you no matter what you say or how you say it. Unless you say "aboot". :wink:

We really, really, really don't say that.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Class conciousness exists the world over in one form or another, it's true. But since joining this site I've been chatting with several people from all over Europe and North America and I have noticed more of a tone of this from the Brits I've spoken to. I've wondered if it's to do with being the original superpower (original modernsuperpower at any rate) or that they are a country so identified by their monarchy (peerage=peer pressure?).
It's only reasonable - all the others are foreigners.

CPearl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Your anecdote about your name reminds me of a recent argument with my aformentioned English friend Andy. We were taking turns ridiculing each other for the way we each pronounced "pasta." I pointed out the vowel he was using doesn't even occur in Italian. He responded that we weren't in Italy.

'Past-a' drives me crazy! Though I have to give it up to the Brits for the pronunciation of most English words...

'chav' (slang) - a young person, often without a high level of education, who follows a particular fashion; Chavs usually wear designer labels including the chav favourite 'Burberry', and if they’re girls, very short skirts, large hoop earrings and stilettos.

Love Chavs! Makes me want to get shagged behind the kabob shop, while drinking my alco-pop and sporting a tight ponytail (council house face lift).

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Hate Chavs, makes me think Binny Laden is killing the wrong people...then again I am a quasi-facist on some regards!

It's interesting how divided even London is and there are local accents for each "zone". I'm abnormal in that my accent isn't typical for the zone though.