Have You Ever Bought or Sold Anything on Ebay?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just wondering what other people's experiences have been using Ebay. Good, Bad, Fair? Any unusual stories? What do you usually buy?

I am looking into buying a laptop tablet PC and didn't want to pay retail so I've been hunting around on the Ebay for one but the prospects of getting burned out of more than $500 does not seem appealing.

Also was wondering if anyone has SOLD anything on Ebay and if it is difficult to set up. I have heard of people making a living off the site and was wondering how they do it. What has been your experience selling?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, I HAD a nice, long, well thought out response, on my generally good experiences, but when I hit the "Post" button, I instead got "database error", which I continued to get for the next several minutes, when trying to attach to the site. :mad:

Can't imagine that glitch ever seeing the light of day at Ebay. :smile: They have IT guys up the ying yang there.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have done a bit of both.

Usually I buy Egyptian artifacts and furnishings (Ushabti figures, Senet boards, papyrus, etc.) and I have had amazing luck. I have also bought the occasional piece of jewelry and things for the wife. I javen't been burned, but Ebay takes fraud very seriously and if someone is committing fraud, they usually get axed fairly quickly. Frequent sellers are rated by patrons so that is a key to look at to make sure they are on the up and up.

I have sold some stuff on Ebay and it was simple to do. Since most of the stuff I do is local and one shot types of things, I prefer Craigslist for selling things. A lot easier and quicker for local sales.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Can't imagine that glitch ever seeing the light of day at Ebay. :smile: They have IT guys up the ying yang there.
I'd be content if our one IT guy here just told us what was going on, once in a while. As much as I adore him and all the work that he does for us, it's really my one big complaint with him.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have done a bit of both.

Usually I buy Egyptian artifacts and furnishings (Ushabti figures, Senet boards, papyrus, etc.) and I have had amazing luck. I have also bought the occasional piece of jewelry and things for the wife. I javen't been burned, but Ebay takes fraud very seriously and if someone is committing fraud, they usually get axed fairly quickly. Frequent sellers are rated by patrons so that is a key to look at to make sure they are on the up and up.

I have sold some stuff on Ebay and it was simple to do. Since most of the stuff I do is local and one shot types of things, I prefer Craigslist for selling things. A lot easier and quicker for local sales.

Osiris, is there any guarantee in place that you will get paid for the stuff you sell there? How do you actually get paid for stuff you sell there?

I'd be content if our one IT guy here just told us what was going on, once in a while. As much as I adore him and all the work that he does for us, it's really my one big complaint with him.

I thought all that behind the scene stuff happens by magic. :rolleyes:

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Ive only sold one on e-bay and i went very smoothly. I buy quite alot on there (mostly concert tickets) and only one have i had a problem with items never arriving but that was way back when i didnt have a credit card and money orders weren't considered a risky.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Osiris, is there any guarantees in place that you will get paid for the stuff you sell there? How do you actually get paid for stuff you sell there?

Take a look at this earl:

I sold an item and have not yet received payment. What can I do?

Like everyone else, I have had really good experience with selling and never had to resort to this so I was really unsure of how to answer this. I think it also helped that I have a PayPal account and payment would come to it and I would always communicate the package tracking info to the buyer. Everytihng was up front between myself and the buyer so there was no issue.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
I've been buying and selling comics on ebay for 10 years. I have about 700 feedbacks without any negatives. I once found an action 1 { first appearance of superman } buried in some magaznes.
These are my impressions on buying on ebay. I say impressions because its hard to be precise offhand. I think you're insured to a certain point if you use paypal. { ebay payed out 126 million dollars in claims last year } You have to check out the sellers' feedback. If you have questions email the seller. Never do business outside the context of ebay. If you deal with a business or store you probably will be safer than dealing with an individual. I wouldn't do business with anyone outside the states unless you getting a great deal. MOST importantly check to see if there is a return policy. If you have a dispute go to mybay and click on console dispute. There's no doubt you can get great deals on ebay most of the time but you might get burned occassionally because that's how the world is. I never bid too high to protect myself because whatever you want , even if you miss it the first time around , is just around the corner again. On some items you have a lot of choices. Try to compare. Items also usually go for lower prices during daytime hours on weekdays rather than at night or weekends.
Selling is fairly easy and you always need to include a photo. Its never a problem most of the time but occassionally you might have an unhappy buyer for a number of reasons including some people are scammers or just want to cause trouble. When you sell anything on ebay these days you usually have to ship it quickly and if the post office is late you might have an unhappy buyer. If its an expensive item always sent it insured or have proof that you sent it. Keep in mind most buyers will leave you feedback and that most sellers or buyers seem like decent people but there are troublemakers. I remember seeing someone sell their baby beanies one time. I looked at their sellers' list and stopped counting at 20,000.00. { click on sellers' list to see the other items the seller has }. Its easlier to be a regular seller if you something to sell regularly { a hobby like comics , stamps , books etc where you are always buying and selling }. Its also good if you have a store with lots of items. Some people go to garage sales weekends and sell what they've bought there on ebay. Its good to be knowledgeable on what something is worth.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Take a look at this earl:

I sold an item and have not yet received payment. What can I do?

Like everyone else, I have had really good experience with selling and never had to resort to this so I was really unsure of how to answer this. I think it also helped that I have a PayPal account and payment would come to it and I would always communicate the package tracking info to the buyer. Everytihng was up front between myself and the buyer so there was no issue.

Thanks for the link Osiris. :smile:

When someone buys an Ebay item of yours using PayPal as a intermediary is the money just credited to the credit card you have on file on your PayPal account?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been buying and selling comics on ebay for 10 years. I have about 700 feedbacks without any negatives. I once found an action 1 { first appearance of superman } buried in some magaznes.
These are my impressions on buying on ebay. I say impressions because its hard to be precise offhand. I think you're insured to a certain point if you use paypal. { ebay payed out 126 million dollars in claims last year } You have to check out the sellers' feedback. If you have questions email the seller. Never do business outside the context of ebay. If you deal with a business or store you probably will be safer than dealing with an individual. I wouldn't do business with anyone outside the states unless you getting a great deal. MOST importantly check to see if there is a return policy. If you have a dispute go to mybay and click on console dispute. There's no doubt you can get great deals on ebay most of the time but you might get burned occassionally because that's how the world is. I never bid too high to protect myself because whatever you want , even if you miss it the first time around , is just around the corner again. On some items you have a lot of choices. Try to compare. Items also usually go for lower prices during daytime hours on weekdays rather than at night or weekends.
Selling is fairly easy and you always need to include a photo. Its never a problem most of the time but occassionally you might have an unhappy buyer for a number of reasons including some people are scammers or just want to cause trouble. When you sell anything on ebay these days you usually have to ship it quickly and if the post office is late you might have an unhappy buyer. If its an expensive item always sent it insured or have proof that you sent it. Keep in mind most buyers will leave you feedback and that most sellers or buyers seem like decent people but there are troublemakers. I remember seeing someone sell their baby beanies one time. I looked at their sellers' list and stopped counting at 20,000.00. { click on sellers' list to see the other items the seller has }. Its easlier to be a regular seller if you something to sell regularly { a hobby like comics , stamps , books etc where you are always buying and selling }. Its also good if you have a store with lots of items. Some people go to garage sales weekends and sell what they've bought there on ebay. Its good to be knowledgeable on what something is worth.

Breeze, thanks for the information. Do you do this as a hobby or is a full time job for you? I imagine you are doing well with it if you are still going strong after 10 years.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When someone buys an Ebay item of yours using PayPal as a intermediary is the money just credited to the credit card you have on file on your PayPal account?

The money goes into your Paypal a/c, from where you can either use it to fund future purchases on eBay, or else transfer it elsewhere (I usually transfer to my bank a/c).

I've been on eBay for about 9.5 years, buying and occasionally selling in a highly specialized area (I have feedback for around 500 sales and around 7400 purchases). Most people are very decent; I've certainly made several $1500+ purchases over the years without a hitch.

Of course, there are slightly higher risks when purchasing desirable high-ticket consumer items such as electronics, but so long as you check out the amount of cover that Paypal will offer you (mentioned on the auction listing; note also the payment methods which will offer you no cover and avoid these, also mentioned on every listing) and the feedback of the seller, you should be safe. If you have a bad feeling about something, walk away from it before bidding. Be sure to check what kind of items the seller has feedback for; have they got years of experience for selling/buying similar items, or is their feedback merely from buying $0.01 e-books... if it's the latter, then obviously run as fast as you can!

Ultimately, eBay is like any marketplace, though; do your research, know your seller from the information provided and the quality/professionalism of their listing, and then make your judgment.

eBay also has a huge online Community section, where you can ask questions and interact with experienced eBayers in real-time fora (rather like LPSG, only less penises). :rolleyes:

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
Breeze, thanks for the information. Do you do this as a hobby or is a full time job for you? I imagine you are doing well with it if you are still going strong after 10 years.
I forgot never sent out anything until you get paid. I believe that in the past it took 2 weeks for a check to clear but nowdays checks clear in one day ? Some sellers insist that buyers use only money orders { overseas money orders have been faked } or paypal.
I don't sell on ebay full time. But if you're knowledgeable about anything like stocks , cars , houses , coins , comics you have a chance to make a lot of money. A woman picked up a jackson pollack painting worth 60 million dollars at a sale for 2.00. She didn't know what it was.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for the link Osiris. :smile:

I actually let it ride in My PayPal account. I have a PayPal Visa that also is an ATM card for my PayPal account. You can get a PayPal card and it's easy. If you have an account, I'd highly reccomend it.

If I really want the money in my main bank account, I can move it there, but I do enough e-commerce that it is nice to have that sitting in my PayPal account for those purchases.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Okay, double post.
But at least I acknowledged the paralysis.:confused:

Trust me, if I want you to have less penis, I can arrange it. :cool: :rolleyes:

You'll make this late bloomer an early wilter?
Let me find those Aussiebums.

I remember when there were fewer pedants around here. :rolleyes:

Yes, only a few days ago. And then the greatest of them all, reappeared.
(And thank gawd.)