Have you ever felt respect for...

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
...anyone that does'nt seem to like you?

It's a strange feeling, lol. Since i've been here, i've found myself gaining more and more respect for another member who normally i'd find dislikeable in mutual sentiment.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nah if they don't like me there's obviously something wrong with them ;-)

Seriously, yes, you might not like someone on a personal level, there just might be something about them that rubs you the wrong way, it doesn't follow that their views and morals etc. can't be ones that inspire respect in you.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Who would that be, pray tell?

Lol, i can't tell you that pussycat!!!

Nah if they don't like me there's obviously something wrong with them ;-)

Seriously, yes, you might not like someone on a personal level, there just might be something about them that rubs you the wrong way, it doesn't follow that their views and morals etc. can't be ones that inspire respect in you.

I guess.

(WHERE HAS YOUR PUKEY LADY GONE? :biggrin1:)

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I often find myself respecting people I dislike or whose views annoy me, partly because often people I dislike or who dislike me are strong characters, and I can hate someone like poison but respect them for being very strongly themselves.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...anyone that does'nt seem to like you?

It's a strange feeling, lol. Since i've been here, i've found myself gaining more and more respect for another member who normally i'd find dislikeable in mutual sentiment.

Everyone likes me, so............:biggrin1:

First things first, Oxford dictionary definitiion of "respect"

respect

Pronunciation:/rɪˈspɛkt/

noun

1 [mass noun] a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements:

the director had a lot of respect for Douglas as an actor

the state of being admired or respected:

his first chance in over fifteen years to regain respect in the business

(respects) a person's polite greetings:

give my respects to their Excellencies

informal used to express the speaker's approval of someone or something:

respect to Hill for a truly non-superficial piece on the techno scene

2 due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others:

young people's lack of respect for their parents

3 a particular aspect, point , or detail:

the government's record in this respect is a mixed one

verb

[with object]

1 admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements:

she was respected by everyone she worked with

(as adjective respected)

a respected academic

2 have due regard for (someone's feelings, wishes, or rights):

I respected his views

avoid harming or interfering with:

it is incumbent upon all hill users to respect the environment

agree to recognize and abide by (a legal requirement):

the crown and its ministers ought to respect the ordinary law

It's not entirely clear which meaning is intended in the OP. I would assume "noun 1" was the intended usage, although the "noun informal" usage may also have been intended. As to the former, there have been times I've respected someone for their achievements, even as I disliked them. Almost invariably, this amounts to respecting the fact that they've accumulated a significant measure of power, despite their despicableness (e.g., Dick Cheney).

That said, I don't spend much time cogitating over the level of respect I have for those whom I dislike. They don't get much airtime in my head.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, quite a few times!

There's also the opposite phenomenon. You might respect someone whose views and morals are admirable to you, but who has personality quirks that you find irritating and drive you crazy.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Respect, especially in an internet forum like this, is easy when it's essentially impersonal. There are people here whom I admire for his/her social skills or writing abilities despite the fact that we rarely if ever agree on anything: call that "respect" if you like.

To me, respect is earned and can be taken away with proper provocation. But with very few exceptions, I try and remain as respectful to the person as possible in public. This is not hypocrisy, it's being polite :cool:

D

deleted3782

1 [mass noun] a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements:

No.

2 due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others:

Yes

I prefer to live and let live. I will question people to learn their perspective, and I will defend my own views...but I respect their viewpoints as their own. If they want to believe xyz...then so be it. It's not my role to change it.

I admire the way some people on this forum conduct themselves...and there are lots of posts that I agree...and disagree...with. But I can't think of a person I admire that I'd normally find dislikeable.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes.
There are people whom I've admired for any number of reasons (intelligence, talent, achievement, etc.), despite the fact thet they've expressed disdain for me.
In most such cases, I ultimately end up being annoyed with myself for it tho.
:tongue:

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I’ve only come across a few people, but I like to think “respect” is a two way street ……

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have. I don't have to like someone to respect them. And I don;t have to think someone likes me in order to respect them. I think respect and like should and can be mutually exclusive descriptors of people (and their actions).