Have you ever gone out of your way to avoid someone because they are homosexual?

Have you ever gone out of your way to avoid someone because he's gay?

• Yes

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Quite the opposite but I have avoided people for many other reasons.

Scratching head and wondering about the point of the question

I've gone out of my way to avoid weird ppl, who happened to be gay. But same with weird str8 ppl, too. ;)

Have you ever gone out of your way to avoid someone because they are homosexual?

Yes, myself.

I'm right there with you.

I was looking across the floor, highly reluctant to get the haircut my mom wanted me to get. I hated the idea of getting my hair cut in what I considered a beauty parlor. A barber or unisex salon I could deal with; a beauty parlor, and one at Saks no less, just reeked of crossing the line. The place looked like a set from Shampoo! and so did the guys working there. This is one of those places men should never set foot in and I knew it. Still, my mother decided I needed a hair cut so why not do it there while we had the time? She saw nothing wrong with having her pre-teen's hair cut in what was a true beauty parlor. I told her I didn't want to go in there but she ignored my protests and declared she was going to make a reservation for me. Defeated, I pulled her harm and whispered to her, "Make sure I get a woman. I don't want a man." She looked at me oddly then nodded, surrendering to my one request. In my experience, all men who worked in a beauty parlor were gay and it bothered me to think that some gay guy was going to be running his hands through my hair.

Just a few years later, the scatter-brained, queeny, chatterboxing, velour-wearing, Leonard Gaudino was going to be cutting my hair and giving me the best hair cuts I'd ever had. Leonard was a lot of fun and he really liked cutting my hair. He had enormous talent but was not very good about practical matters, such as making sure the curling iron was unplugged before he left his shop for the day. It burned to the ground and Leonard went to work for Bendel's in the city.

A lot of my aversion to gay men came from the way my father treated his brother after he came out of the closet. If my father could cut off his own brother, then I'd better not be gay either. Took me about another quarter century to not give a damn and come out not only to my parents but to myself as well. Without Lex, DC_Deep, and the OP himself, I wouldn't have had the confidence to do that.