have you ever had a near death experience? ?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_N Flay Table, Aug 9, 2010.

1. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I shared in this thread about a week ago:

Just to clarify two points:

1) During the first experience, I saw a doctor and another nurse wheel in a cart covered with injectable medications. He gave me a shot of adrenaline which brought me back instantly (and very painfully) to my body from the position I had on the ceiling. During a later conversation with the original nurse who administered the original injection, I described the doctor (height, haircut and color, mustache, etc) perfectly despite the fact that I hadn't seen him previously at all in the clinic.

2) My description of my sister's office included very specific details: not just the color of the carpet, but a precise spot where it had a long and ugly pull in the pile. I repeat: I'd never visited that office before, and she's not the type to describe decor, as it doesn't interest her in the least.

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

That is very interesting Bbucko I'm really intrigued by other peoples experiences with this. I nearly died once and was in a coma and woke with memory loss. So I have no recollection of anything from the time of the automobile accident until I woke up.

4. crescendo69

Gold Member

I've seen many threads here die after posting on them.:biggrin1:

5. Riven650

Gold Member

Albums:
    So glad to read that crescendo69. I thought that only happened to me.

I had a near death experience in 1985. I crashed my motorcycle and was rushed to hospital with internal (amongst other) injuries. I was losing blood very fast and they nearly lost me several times. I was very fortunate that a very determined surgeon was on that night. I was awake several times during the operation and, apart from the appalling pain, I remember feeling I had the choice to let go and die, or to hang in there and fight on. The former didn't feel like a good option so I fought. I remember feeling relieved and very scared each time the anaesthetist gave me a little more dope: On the one hand it was bliss when the pain subsided, but the thought that I might not come back was not good. Then I remembered nothing until I was back in the fray and aware once and feeling the ghastly torment of abdominal surgery. There were several cycles of that. The operation went on for 6.5 hours. They had to give me 20 units of blood and I lost my spleen and left kidney. The surgeon sewed up my remaining kidney which was in three pieces and re attached the blood supply to my stomach amongst several other 'repairs'.

I asked the surgeon later about my being awake during the op, and he said that he and the anaesthetist had found that they lost fewer critical patients by having them 'more involved' (ie. not quite under.) When I said I came and went a few times he said it might have been when I got more anaesthetic, or more likely, when my heart stopped, which happened a couple of times.

A few years later I learned that several of the nurses on duty in the A&E that night had freaked when they found my body piercings and had suggested leaving me to die on a gurney. I was nearly gone anyway, and they thought 'piercings = gay = AIDS!'. They were VERY paranoid about AIDS that year. Luckily, as I said, the surgeon was a no nonsense 'let's fix this guy' sort of surgeon, or I for sure wouldn't be alive to tell the gruesome tale.

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    My spiritual beliefs, based largely on those two incidences, can offer an explanation as to why you remember nothing (there's also the possibility that the entire experience is hallucinatory and that's no less likely nor provable than mine):

I believe strongly in a mind-spirit/body connection. The first time, my brain was functioning normally before and after the incident, which might explain why it was so completely vivid: to a degree it still is, and there's a detail which I'm not disclosing regarding a certain sound, which may or may not provide further confirmation of the "reality" of that experience.

The second time, by brain was being traumatized by the fever (such fevers can be fatal in adults), so my memories are necessarily cloudier; I was also on an assortment of medications which probably altered my consciousness as well.

Your accident could have left your brain deeply traumatized, or you could have been under the influence of medications that left your brain numb except for involuntary functions: something certainly "shut off the recorder" for a bit. The fact that you suffered some loss of memory is not uncommon for people who've suffered extreme trauma. I wonder if it's actually the brain going numb and "down" or whether there's a self-editing function at work about which we know nothing.

Either explanation allows for fascinating possibilities.

7. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

I was holding an early breakfast staff meeting in my World Trade Center office in NYC,
    and had ordered donuts, bagels, coffee, etc. for the staff. I had finished my morning
    presentation and had asked for comments, discussions, etc. While the others were
    replying I took a bite of bagel with a smear of cream cheese......and choked!

I could not breath in...only out. I was begining to panic because every one was listening to the speaker at the other end of the long conference table and not looking in my direction. It seemed that no one would ever notice my problem and I began banging on
    the podium to get their attention, none seemed to understand what was happening. It
    seemed like 15-20 minutes had passed and I still couldn't get a breath. Of course it was probably only a minute of so.

One of my junior managers, a man of about 250lbs, 6'5" tall, and a volunteer fireman on the weekends, finally realized what was happening because of my red face and bulgging
    eyes, and ran up behind me and gave me the Heimlich maneuver. The piece of bagel
    popped out and flew across the room...traveling about 20 feet. After it was dislodged,
    my throat started to swell up and I was rushed to the hospital. I eventually was said to
    be ok and released.

That was the scariest day I have ever gone through.

What I later learned was that after an obstruction has been removed, there is a great
    possibility of swelling...and not always immediately. So, it is always best to go to an emergency room just to make sure all is okay..

I am glad that my throat started to swell up so quickly, for I could have left the office
    for the day, gone home and choked to death before I could have been treated....and since I lived alone, no one would have known.

Something to remember!

8. molotovmuffin

Gold Member

No.... but I have come close to flat lining someone else.:wink:

9. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sort of...I was very young (2 years old) and no-one in my family has ever mentioned it so I might have just imagined it. But my recollection of it seems so vivid that I find it hard to believe it's just imagination. Anyhoo (I should stop using that word - I'm sure people are sick of it), here's the story: I was on holiday with my family at a block of holiday apartments. I can clearly recall being dangled over a mezzanine balcony by a boy. I'm not sure how old he would have been - when you're a little kid, older kids can sometimes seem like adults. I know it wasn't my brother because I could see him standing on the ground below next to a girl who I think was the boy's sister. My next memory of it, is the girl and my brother walking up the stairs towards us on the balcony and grabbing me before anything happened. As I mentioned earlier, I was only 2 and my family has never mentioned it so perhaps I just imagined it, but some details are so clear - the girl had dark curly hair and was wearing grey-ish denim shorts - that I believe it really could have happened. I must admit, I do have an (over)active imagination...but at that age?

Draft saved Draft deleted