Have you ever played matchmaker? How did it turn out?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by earllogjam, Feb 18, 2011.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I do this in a very subtle way. I have parties and mix it with couples and singles who have something in common and feel that they would get along.
    Like anything else it depends on chemistry... Two such chance meetings resulted in marriage, one of those ended in divorce. Some are friends, some are not. One story had a tragic ending. But on a brighter note. A mutual friend set my other half and I up on a blind date.

3. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I've tried a few times. It's never worked out so that the two people ended up in a LTR. The closest it's ever come to working is when me and TheBF have played wingman (wingpeople?) and helped things along when a single friend has met someone who appears to be interested.

Once we attended a party when we had planned on going home and sleeping because a woman who had been coming on to our friend at the bar where we were said that she was interested in going to this party but she really needed a ride there. Our friend was divorced and having a hard time getting back into dating, and he's a really sweet guy who deserves someone who would appreciate him, so we took this woman to that party, which happened to be thrown by a friend of ours, where we did things like make sure that just the right music was playing when she was dancing with him, and that they had privacy to make out without being disturbed. I don't think either of them knew that we were doing all of that. That would have worked out because she was really into him, except he said it was too soon for him to date. He said he still felt like he was cheating on his wife, so nothing came of it.

Another time, a similar situation, and we pretended that we had intended on going to a restaurant, when we hadn't, just so we could invite the woman who seemed very interested in our friend along with us. We had a great time. I don't know if they hooked up or not, but it was worth it because we had fun.

We've done things like that when there seems to be a romance blooming, tried to give it a little nudge. We're romantics. None of them have lasted for a long time, but we still try.

#3 petite, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

I matched up an ex with a girl I worked with. They got together and were together for a few years (and a few kids) before he killed himself. Not sure I can claim success on that one.

5. chrisb4sure

chrisb4sure New Member

Tried once turned out bad one turned out to be creep when the other didn't have the same feelings.

6. D_Salvatore Speedbump

Never but i have helped a friend relax before meeting the love of his life. Sometimes being goofy is a plus :p

7. D_Doe_Ray_Mi

D_Doe_Ray_Mi Account Disabled

I introduced a long divorced buddy to a great female friend. They hit it off great, Lots in common and similar baggage. They got married and were great for 7 years but step-children issues contributed to an impasse and they 're divorcing now. Brutal end of story. I won't play that role again.

8. _Jonesy

_Jonesy Member

No, but, I react badly if somebody tries to do it for me.

I've had guys come up to me in clubs saying their (female) friends like me to try and get my attention and it puts me off the idea more. I react even worse if my friend tells a girl I like her when I usually haven't said a word.

If I am going to do something, I'll do it myself, or I clam up.

9. earllogjam

Gold Member

Back in my closet days I always had one of my straight friends subtely introducing me to girls. Dinner dates where I would be invited to a restaurant and a new girl would be with them, dinner parties, movies, weddings and the like. It was great if she didn't find me attravctive, mildly annoying if the girl felt I was a potential BF and excruciating if she was sexually attracted to me.

10. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Yep. It's a lot of work!

11. red7.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I tried to play matchmaker and it sort of worked out...23 years ago I brought my female roommate and good friend to an annual New Year's 3 day party at an old farm house in the mountains. I intended to introduce her to one of my good friends, thinking they'd make a great couple. We arrived to find a group of about a dozen partying people, mostly good friends from highschool. Happy to make introductions to all I knew, including the guy I was sure she'd fall for, I was later surprised to see her slip away with another old friend. They have not been apart for more than 2 weeks since. I was the best man at their wedding and am an "uncle" to their three kids. He wasn't the friend I had picked for her, but I did introduce them!

12. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yep....two different couples got married...I was best man at both weddings.

So now I have 2 nephews and 5 nieces....or at least they all call me "Uncle."

13. B_Nicodemous

B_Nicodemous New Member

Once, and it ended up not so great. I helped facillitate the initial meetings between two friends who were both into each other but both socially awkward. They dated, got engaged in like six months, and were married (I was Best Man at their wedding). Then things went south real fast (oh there is a whole bunch of crap that happened but for annonimity's sake i will not post it all) They are both remarried now and still maintain a friendship.

And this is why I don't go to my friends weddings anymore. Every friend so far that I have participated in some way with the wedding, reception, anything, has ended in divorce. and the more I am involved, the shorter the marriage, lol. So I guess these didn't stand a chance as I had not only introduced them, but was Best Man at there wedding, which I helped to coordinate:frown1::tongue:

14. D_Edwin Eatser

D_Edwin Eatser New Member

Not intentionally... in my late teens I introduced my current gf to a good friend of mine at party. Late in the evening I'd lost sight of her so went looking, and found them in a bedroom fucking. I lost my friend and gf and they got engaged months later, but they didn't marry.

Draft saved Draft deleted