Have you ever seen that show Clean House?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Where people are pack rats or just gross and have walls of junk everywhere? They can't even sleep in their own bed.

In my old apartment I was kind of a pack rat. I'm so glad that I moved because I was able to get rid of a lot of junk. The only thing I was always good about is never leaving dirty dishes or garbage in the living room or bedroom.

Have you ever gone into one of those homes where everything is a cluster fuck?

One time I went to a girl's house and she lived with her mother. It was a one bedroom apartment and her mother slept in the living room, couch or sofa bed.

She did not want to let me see her room, after about an hour she let me see it. She had clothes thrown everywhere. Her bed and entire floor had clothes all over the place.:biggrin1:

2. Tristessa

Tristessa New Member

I had a friend in high school who had the messiest house I've ever been in. In her computer room, the door was permanently stuck open and you had to walk on piles of things to get anywhere. Literally, your feet were never closer than about 1.5 feet to the ground. Her closet was her floor, and I'm not sure anything was ever washed. They used paper plates. I can deal with a little clutter, but this was ridiculous. It was in a fairly nice neighborhood too.

3. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Personally I think people who live like that have some sort of mental illness going on...

4. D_Tintagel_Demondong

source: Compulsive hoarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#4 D_Tintagel_Demondong, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  5. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Wow, I know a lot of damaged frontal lobes... :tongue:

My dad lives like a pack rat. He actually likes it. He has a fear that he will need something in the future, so he just hangs on to everything...old mattresses, broken bikes, old phones, magazines from the 1960s.

When he dies, you all need to buy stock in trash bag manufacturers.

My mom is the opposite. He likes her house to look as if its from a magazine. Terms such as "No shes in the hall", "hang up your coat", "put your books where they belond" were all mantras as I grew up.

The older I get, the better I am able to manage my stuff. I have my huge collection of books, but they all have a place (arranged by subject with room to grow) on my book case, for example...

6. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I fucking hate the fact that everyone gets rewarded for having a mess on these shows.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

Reward? What reward? They face humiliation on national television. Not to mention the censure and derision of friends, family, and co-workers. :frown1::mad:

8. Xcuze

Gold Member

I can imagine that when your home gets really dirty & cluttered the thought of cleaning it just seems overwhelming. So you just keep putting it off. I think this is what happens in most cases. Its not about mental health, just different priorities.

9. D_Teasdale Tittithorne

I'm not a hoarder, but our house is so tiny that unless everything is in it's place, it can get really junky really fast. And like Xcuze said, the longer I put off the cleaning, the harder it is to get motivated to do it. Luckily I have a boyfriend who hates the clutter, so he picks up behind me. :biggrin1:

I love Clean House though! Niecy Nash makes me all hot.

10. Principessa

Gold Member

I have lived in a place that could of used the help of Niecy Nash and her crew. :redface: Yup, what you said above is correct. That combined with the fact I actually was going though a major depressive episode. When I get like that I can't see the forest for the trees. I never knew where to start and when I did clean, if I didn't see immediate improvement I became discouraged and would stop. :frown1: I finally resorted to hiring a clutter cleaner @ $35 an hour. Some people laughed or scolded me for not being able to do it myself. I didn't care, I knew I had to do something, and that was the perfect solution for me.

11. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Like when they make over a house and refurnish the place and put in new flat screens etc. I mean what's humiliation anyway...I'd take the house makeover in a second but my place is neat as a pin

12. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Actually Clean House is different. They have to sell all their old junk in a yard sale to make the money for their new furniture and makeover.

One time a lady wanted to sell a sectional couch that they told her to keep. She sold it, but they did not have enough money to replace it. (they usually fix 3 rooms) They put some pillows down instead of the couch. :biggrin1: she got pissed and left and that's how that episode ended.

13. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    So, where do I need to smack you to induce compulsive whoring? :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted