Have you found people are better lookin in person than in their photographs?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Jan 26, 2012.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

I always see the "he looks so much better in person" posts everywhere on the net including here and was wondering if this is what most people experience.

2. southernstud

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I can't remember where I was reading it, but a researcher actually did a study of different camera focal length and lenses. Took the exact same pictures from the same angle and distance, and published the pictures. It's amazing how different every picture looked. The woman looked fugly in some pics, but drop-dead in others. It was a revelation that it is partially the camera that is responsable for how we look. I often think people look better in person--it's easier to get past looks when you actually interact with someone.

3. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    My personality makes my complexion look blotchy in real life. It's so much better in pictures, where none of that temperament crap gets in the way.

4. aninnymouse

Gold Member

It varies, in my experience. Some people are just more photogenic than others.....And, the camera adds weight. Makes you look bigger.

For example, HiDef can be a killer. There was this club where someone I knew was playing. They had these dancers/strippers come in, and they were filmed in HD while they were dancing.

The only ones that didn't look fat on HD were the ones who were so skinny that they looked like crack whores. Scary, Innit?

5. earllogjam

Gold Member

I think there are very few of us that look good in all angles. Paris Hilton seems to be the exception. I don't think I've ever seen a bad photograph of her, even the paparazzi ones.

6. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    Have you found people are better lookin in person than in their photographs?

Defintely to me, probably cause i want to experience the persons personality, as well.
    Still some persons are better to wank over, from a distance, such as Keanau Reeves, (unobtainable) or formerly Jon Voight, when both he and me were youngsters..
    ( note: no specific age mentioned haha, cautious as she goes..)

7. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    digital sux!
    I miss kodachrome!
    But nothing beats real life.

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not everyone is consistently photogenic.

9. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I think everyone in the world has some horrendous candid photos that are hidden in a box. But that aside I find most people more attractive in real life mostly because of their personality and expressions. Having said that I have some professional photos that are stunning... it's amazing what lights, cosmetics, camera filters and professional retouching can do for you.

10. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    most of the time *in my experience* Real life makes most things better. :) People tell me that I look younger in person than I do in pics... *good thing* I think. LOL

11. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was talking to someone about this, just the other day. I have one face-photo I share with LPSG friends etc. Sadly, it makes a passport photo look good. I have a professional photograph from my school days, but I'm obviously not going to share that with people - despite it being much more flattering! If it's a nice photo, it can capture you at your most beautiful. I certainly don't believe a photograph can make you more beautiful, however. Every attempt at a better photo makes me look like a potato. So, I'm sticking with the ugly-photo until the day of that magical snap.

12. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes - and I pray to Dog that the same applies to me. I know I'm definitely not a slim 'looker', but I don't think I'm as fat and plain as I am in my photos. I hate sitting/posing for photos because I look awkward, but 'candid' ones aren't much better.

My bad photos can be problematic because I'm a very shy and introverted person, so photos are usually the first place people see me. That's why it took me so long before I posted any photos here - I wanted people to get to know me through my posts/thoughts first, rather than to just see me by my looks.

#12 willow78, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  13. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Photos can definitely make you look worse than your true appearance, in my opinion.

14. bobbyboyle

bobbyboyle New Member

Maybe part of it comes from the ability to study a face caught in the moment. Maybe we notice asymmetries more easily that way. But I definitely know a few people who look superhumanly good in their Facebook pictures but are actually pretty normal looking in person. It can go both ways.

Haha! Good one! :biggrin1:

15. redz_rule

Gold Member

This. I'm not particularly photogenic, but once in a blue moon I'll take an ok picture - I bloody hope I look better in real life!

I do have friends who are extremely photogenic though and I noticed just how extraordinarily pretty they are in their photos first. I also have a cousin who is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in real life, but doesn't photograph well at all. Maybe it's something to do with how people look when they are animated? Maybe it's just bone structure. I really don't know.

16. D_Blue_Barry_Eel

D_Blue_Barry_Eel Account Disabled

Depends on the photo really, so sometimes this is the case and sometimes it's the opposite.

17. D_Luke_DickStalker

D_Luke_DickStalker New Member

really?? I dont think she has any good pictures.

18. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ This.

19. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know an excellent photographer that's a previous-ish member here. If you ever find yourself in the states, I'm certain she can take some current shots that won't find you looking starchy.

20. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

I don't know about photographs but people are much better looking in person than the pictures what they keep in the attic :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted