Have you found people are better lookin in person than in their photographs?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I always see the "he looks so much better in person" posts everywhere on the net including here and was wondering if this is what most people experience.

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
It varies, in my experience. Some people are just more photogenic than others.....And, the camera adds weight. Makes you look bigger.

For example, HiDef can be a killer. There was this club where someone I knew was playing. They had these dancers/strippers come in, and they were filmed in HD while they were dancing.

The only ones that didn't look fat on HD were the ones who were so skinny that they looked like crack whores. Scary, Innit?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can't remember where I was reading it, but a researcher actually did a study of different camera focal length and lenses. Took the exact same pictures from the same angle and distance, and published the pictures. It's amazing how different every picture looked. The woman looked fugly in some pics, but drop-dead in others. It was a revelation that it is partially the camera that is responsable for how we look. I often think people look better in person--it's easier to get past looks when you actually interact with someone.

I think there are very few of us that look good in all angles. Paris Hilton seems to be the exception. I don't think I've ever seen a bad photograph of her, even the paparazzi ones.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Have you found people are better lookin in person than in their photographs?

Defintely to me, probably cause i want to experience the persons personality, as well.
Still some persons are better to wank over, from a distance, such as Keanau Reeves, (unobtainable) or formerly Jon Voight, when both he and me were youngsters..
( note: no specific age mentioned haha, cautious as she goes..)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think everyone in the world has some horrendous candid photos that are hidden in a box. But that aside I find most people more attractive in real life mostly because of their personality and expressions. Having said that I have some professional photos that are stunning... it's amazing what lights, cosmetics, camera filters and professional retouching can do for you.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was talking to someone about this, just the other day. I have one face-photo I share with LPSG friends etc. Sadly, it makes a passport photo look good. I have a professional photograph from my school days, but I'm obviously not going to share that with people - despite it being much more flattering! If it's a nice photo, it can capture you at your most beautiful. I certainly don't believe a photograph can make you more beautiful, however. Every attempt at a better photo makes me look like a potato. So, I'm sticking with the ugly-photo until the day of that magical snap.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes - and I pray to Dog that the same applies to me. I know I'm definitely not a slim 'looker', but I don't think I'm as fat and plain as I am in my photos. I hate sitting/posing for photos because I look awkward, but 'candid' ones aren't much better.

My bad photos can be problematic because I'm a very shy and introverted person, so photos are usually the first place people see me. That's why it took me so long before I posted any photos here - I wanted people to get to know me through my posts/thoughts first, rather than to just see me by my looks.

Last edited:

bobbyboyle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Maybe part of it comes from the ability to study a face caught in the moment. Maybe we notice asymmetries more easily that way. But I definitely know a few people who look superhumanly good in their Facebook pictures but are actually pretty normal looking in person. It can go both ways.

I think there are very few of us that look good in all angles. Paris Hilton seems to be the exception. I don't think I've ever seen a bad photograph of her, even the paparazzi ones.
Haha! Good one! :biggrin1:

redz_rule

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It can go both ways

This. I'm not particularly photogenic, but once in a blue moon I'll take an ok picture - I bloody hope I look better in real life!

I do have friends who are extremely photogenic though and I noticed just how extraordinarily pretty they are in their photos first. I also have a cousin who is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in real life, but doesn't photograph well at all. Maybe it's something to do with how people look when they are animated? Maybe it's just bone structure. I really don't know.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was talking to someone about this, just the other day. I have one face-photo I share with LPSG friends etc. Sadly, it makes a passport photo look good. I have a professional photograph from my school days, but I'm obviously not going to share that with people - despite it being much more flattering! If it's a nice photo, it can capture you at your most beautiful. I certainly don't believe a photograph can make you more beautiful, however. Every attempt at a better photo makes me look like a potato. So, I'm sticking with the ugly-photo until the day of that magical snap.

I know an excellent photographer that's a previous-ish member here. If you ever find yourself in the states, I'm certain she can take some current shots that won't find you looking starchy.

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think it works both ways.
It's unaccountable and unpredictable.
Some quite good-looking people don't come off well in most photos.
Some very ordinary-looking people take on something extra when the lens is on them.
Hollywood knows this very well. Screen tests exist for good reason ... to sort all this out. An actor might appear okay and not much more during filming -- and then, when you see the rushes, just leap off the screen.
Shia LaBeouf is a good example ... said to be very unprepossessing to meet, but much more charismatic on celluloid. (Or at least peeps thought so at first.)