Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Of course! I love where I live. As long as there are no clouds in site, whatever time of year, the stars are always there shining bright. Although I'm a moon watcher and sit for hours just staring and thinking about life, I love the stars and you can make out the constellations much more when there's no moon.
@kepper: those pics are awesome!

monel

Sexy Member
Media
I grew up in Ireland where every clear night there was a full mosaic of stars. I took it for granted at the time but it was one of the things I missed after I moved to the USA east coast. Of course once one gets away from cities and towns, brilliant night skys can be rediscovered. Maine comes to mind as having spectacular starry nights.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yes, in urban night sky there are only 'planes and satellites' as in the song by Sonia Dada. But when I was a babe in the countryside I learned better and was glad to remember.

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
There's so much :fight:and :bash: on other parts of the Board this week.

As an antidote I searched for any combination of :la:, :hug:, :240:, :22:and:069: . What good fortune! I've found myself in this wonderful thread.

Thanks exwhyzee. :smile:

*exhales deeply and feels the tension slip away*

I've "seen" the stars and been completely awestruck on a few occasions, but never in the UK. The most memorable and spectacular was in Hawaii. Being in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, surrounded by the seemingly endless night sky illuminated by a sea of stars..... *takes another deep breath*

Last edited:

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was a camper all of my childhood and got the opportunity to see the stars unhindered by city lights but in my mind nothing stands out more than my time on the USS Lincoln. Out to sea we would perform what they call dark water drills or light discipline and the entire boat would go dark save for a few red lights and you could see nothing but the blackness of the ocean and the stars shining so bright as to hurt the eyes. Its the closest I think I've ever come to being at one with the world. Corny, but it gives you that sense that your just a tiny spec in a much bigger picture and its truly humbling.

Makes me want to camp out in Africa somewhere, in one of the places that looks dark on those light pollution maps...

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's so much :fight:and :bash: on other parts of the Board this week.

As an antidote I searched for any combination of :la:, :hug:, :240:, :22:and:069: . What good fortune! I've found myself in this wonderful thread.

Thanks exwhyzee. :smile:

*exhales deeply and feels the tension slip away*

I've "seen" the stars and been completely awestruck on a few occasions, but never in the UK. The most memorable and spectacular was in Hawaii. Being in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, surrounded by the seemingly endless night sky illuminated by a sea of stars..... *takes another deep breath*

You haven't been viewing the jello/honey/pillow fight party threads.

Admittedly, there is some :smashfreakB: but there's also plenty of :la: and :boobies: - and those Miss Angel, make me a happy man. :biggrin1:

Regarding the stars though, we don't have much to awe inspire in the UK. The coastal views of the skyline can be nice but certainly aren't the same as what exwhyzee describes. Too much cloud and fog.

When Hickboy pushed me down the stairs, I saw loads of stars. And little birds tweeting round my head. :(

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wish I had photographic evidence of some of the amazing night skies that I have seen around the world. I would say the ones that really stick out in my memory are The Seychelles, the Havasupai Falls at the bottom of the Grand Canyon and the island of Hawaii.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Very little light pollution where I live, and I have the opportunity to appreciate the stars and night sky in the dry season. The most memorable for me however, was I think the 2001 Leonid meteor shower (more like a storm!)

At the time there was perfect veiwing conditions. I packed a blanket, munchies and drinks and found the best vantage point with a 360 degree view of the night sky. It was not tranquil or introspective, like my other experiences observing the stars. This was one of the most thrilling experiences of my life. Meteroids shooting and showering the darkness. Astronomers calculated over 3,000 flaming meteroids per hour that night. Absolutely and totally awesome...more power than Mother Nature....totally cosmic man (lol)

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When I was growing up, my grandmother owned a summer house on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH, just south of the White Mountains. I remember walking out to the edge of the dock at night and just staring up at the sky for long stretches. I spent a week at Boy Scout camp at the Myles Standish reservation in Plymouth, MA and vividly remember how different the sky was from where I lived in Weymouth, which was just about 25 miles away. But that was in the early 1970s; I'm sure Plymouth's skies have lost some of their magic in the years since.

In 2005 we were struck by two hurricanes here in FtL (Katrina & Wilma) during which we lived completely without power anywhere for a week at least (after Wilma, I didn't have electricity for over a month). The night skies were probably the one saving grace to the whole miserable ordeal.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I must have been spoiled because while there's plenty of times I've seen the sky and thought 'Ooh, pretty', it's not remember-it-forever-including-date-and-place stuff.

We drove the long trek across wide plains as Pip pointed out the subtle shades of green that characterized the landscape of the high tablelands, as he called them.

You saw shades of green? :eek:

Now, THAT is something you need to remember forever!

D

deleted3782

You saw shades of green? :eek:

Now, THAT is something you need to remember forever!

Ya, he pointed out that in the suburbs of Canberra, people watered their lawns to make their yards a bright Irish green, but the Tablelands were naturally earthier shades of olive and gray-greens that he said was appropriate to Australia. Even seasonally the shades of green changed from winter olives to summer browns as everything dried out. It was all very interesting as he described it...

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I gotta get in on this thread.

Although I'm mostly in Argentina (the Southern Cross is a lot smaller than I thought it would be) and when I'm not down south but in Barcelona (too much ambient light in the evenings) I have this ranch out in the middle of north eastern nowhere Nevada that's about equal distance between Wells and Jackpot and then 25 miles west of Highway 93 and zero pollution, unless California is on fire. So, basically, it's just me, two ranch hands and a cook when ever I have the need to return to Nevada for tidying up some business interests and dealing with my US-based CPA.

There is absolutely no ambient light from anywhere in any direction. When the moon is half to completely full, it's easy to read by moonlight. But, yes, I have seen the Milky Way more brilliant and stunning than almost anywhere else. We keep an open mind and hope for UFOs, but so far no one or thing has dropped down for a visit. And the Perseid Meteor Shower, which begins about mid July but really gets cookin' from the 8th to the 14th of August is a definite winner -- unless we're in a cycle when there is a full moon which washes out the thousands of meteors.

Twice I've been sitting with the ranch hands and direct light with a border, brighter than daylight has illuminated hundreds of square miles leaving everything else in darkness. Later we've read these have been large meteors that exploded over the Humboldt or Ruby Mountains. But it's as if some giant spot light was searching for something in the desert. And the bright light lasts for about 10 seconds.

However, you really need to drive to the San Juan Islands in Puget Souind, Northern Idaho in the high wilderness, or just about anywhere in Montana with a clear view of the north. The Northern Lights, no matter how many times I've seen them in my life just stop me in my tracks. Two times we've been able to see them from the ranch in Nevada. It's possible to see them that far south, but not often. Now, LPSG-ers living in Theatle and north or Portland will just say, "Big deal. We see them all of the time." But seeing them from a point on the Earth where there is no ambient or artificial light makes them even more dramatic than they are.

It's also very easy to see the International Space Station regularly race overhead once your eyes are adjusted to the dark.

Last edited:
D

deleted3782

However, you really need to drive to ... just about anywhere in Montana with a clear view of the north. The Northern Lights, no matter how many times I've seen them in my life just stop me in my tracks.

Funny that. I was in Butte Montana a few years ago (with an LPSGer) and never remembered to check out the stars.

Northern Lights, definitely a major item to check off my list.