Having some*body* to talk to better than no body at all?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ManlyBanisters, Feb 8, 2008.

1. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Oh dear.

An elderly man lived for almost a decade with the body of his dead lodger on the sofa of his council flat in Bristol.
    The man, who is in his seventies, never reported the death of his dead friend and officials never suspected anything despite a stench that neighbours complained about for years.
    The corpse was found in the living room after council workers finally responded to complaints about the foul smell coming from the flat, where the man died at least eight years ago.

[...]

It is believed that the tenant failed to report the death because he suffers from severe mental health problems. He has now been relocated to another flat in the same building.
    Man lived with lodger's body for a decade - Times Online

And they've rehoused the guy in the same building! If he is ill enough to live with a corpse for a decade should he not be in care?

2. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Ewww, yes he should be in an institution!

I just simply cannot imagine how anyone could be mentally ill enough to do that. The first 4 months or so should have been unbearable, not to mention the years following. Without going into the forensic details... just... UGH.

3. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

You'd think so but maybe he's now on medication or has received treatment. At least he didn't eat him.

I was watching something the other day, the powers that be had decided that this man no longer needed his home help. He was 91, unable to manage the stairs on his own or cook a meal, during the interview he was wearing a suit and looking really dapper and presentable and explained that when his home help came he always wore a suit because he wanted to look nice for her. She was his only contact with the outside world and now because he'd filled in some 'tick the box' form she'd been taken away.

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

The ultimate couch potato.

5. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    That was crude and true....
    but funny :biggrin1:

6. Northland

Gold Member

Really? What was their first clue?

Terrible. terrible, terrible. Making an elderly man move like this from the place he had shared with his companion for so long a time.

7. seahorses

seahorses Member

As with most reports in the press, you never get a full story, if at all an accurate one. There will be very few people who are aware of all the details surrounding this poor wretch; we’ve heard of his mental health issues, but nothing about his emotional state in connection to his relationship with the deceased? We might not think of this guy’s behaviour as being normal, but what about someone living for seven years with the sheet from the bed someone died on, stuffed in the bottom of a wardrobe? That’s what my wife did after the death of her first husband and they remained in the wardrobe for three years after we married; I just happened to notice they were missing one day. Grief affects people in different ways and there’s often nor rhyme or reason to it; it makes people do odd things and there’s no telling for how long that may last. All we can do, if only for their own sake, is hope for them and hope it never hapens to us.

8. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I read a story recently about some doctor several decades ago who fell in love with a tuberculosis patient, but she died before he could really express his love for her. He begged her parents not to bury her, and he built a mausoleum to keep her in. He used to go there and have conversations there, but I guess it wasn't enough for him because he ended up taking the body back to his house for keeps... she stayed in his bed. He had sex with her, etcetera. He got away with it for SEVEN YEARS. Sick.

All about Necrophiles, by Katherine Ramsland - The Crime library

9. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Thats just so sad MB, the mentally ill here in the US are treated so bad, whats it like there where you are?:confused:

10. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I think the mentally ill are treated badly pretty much everywhere. Certainly in the UK (where the story I linked to happened) they have an issue with more people needing residential care than there are places for so they have a program they (used to?) call Care in Community - which is probably what had, and still has, this man living in government housing rather than in a care home. Ireland is similar on a government level - but there are several charities (some also state sponsored) that do a very good job of caring for the people lucky enough to get a place in their clinics, homes, etc. But of course there are always more people than places.

11. camper joe

Gold Member

Was his name Norman Bates? I am sorry but someone had to ask.

12. Rodeo1177

Rodeo1177 New Member

As an advocate for people with mental health disabilities, the U.S. needs to do a great deal to help this class of people. Unfortunately, the trend is to focus on helping kids but once you reach the magical age of adulthood, the help is quickly taken away. And there are too many in U.S. society who see those with mental health disabilities as easy prey to steal their SSI and SSDI checks.

Draft saved Draft deleted